Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Statistics on bikes stolen in Ireland

Options
  • 01-03-2007 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Does anybody know if there is any official figures on the amount of bicycles bought and stolen in Ireland each year?

I know in the UK, there are about aprox 2.2 million bikes sold and .5 million stolen each year.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭ruprect

That would only be the official reported number, many people will not bother reporting a stolen bike.
    I recently had 2 locks fail on me. One a big thick oxford motorbike lock, I hacksawed it off, took about 20mins, if I was to do it again knowing the correct technique I could do it in 5mins. The other was a kyrptonite U-lock, the hacksaw couldnt even start on it! Took 3mins with a mini angle grinder.

The motorbike lock shocked me. I now have no faith in locks so took a more drastic approach like I had mentioned in another thread. I painted both my bikes yellow (not pink as planned!), just slapped on paint with a brush, all over components, wheels, etc, the whole bike looks absolutley crap! the resale value is now next to nothing so will certainly not be attractive for thieves. If you were offered this bike by a dodgy scumbag you would not buy it for fear of it being recognised by the law or the previous owner. Also makes me more visible on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Shaymoboy

I was in London recently and saw different street bicycle racks which allow you to secure your bike better. There is only the one type of rack in Dublin. I think the city council should look into this area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Foxhunt

Shaymoboy wrote:
    Does anybody know if there is any official figures on the amount of bicycles bought and stolen in Ireland each year?

I know in the UK, there are about aprox 2.2 million bikes sold and .5 million stolen each year.

If you find out please post the results. No doubt my €600.00 Dawes 301 (4 weeks old) stolen in UCD will feature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Ausdubliner

As will my bike...stolen after two weeks :mad:

I had'nt any luck here. Any bike thief figures same to be bundled in with other thief figures. Also, a lot of people don't bother to report bike thief as its a waste of time.

To date, I have two bikes stolen. Thats why I use a folder so I can take it everywhere and no need to lock on street.

Shaymo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Money Shot

I don't think there are any 'true' crime statistics on any type of larceny crime and assaults in this country, as so much of it goes unreported.
    I've had four bikes stolen on me over the years - only one of which was reported (shame on me, but whats the point). The police, literally do not want to know, no matter what the value of the bike. My information was taken down on a yellow post it - no follow up whatsoever. In fact, I seriously doubt if it even made it on to their system.

The police seem to forget when someone gets away with stealing a bike, they will steal a car, when they get away with this, they fell than can pretty much do anything they like and get away with it.

I don't know anybody that cycles regularly that hasn't had at least one bicycle stolen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Money Shot wrote:
    The police, literally do not want to know, no matter what the value of the bike. My information was taken down on a yellow post it - no follow up whatsoever. In fact, I seriously doubt if it even made it on to their system.
    Tell the cops that you need a 'crime number' for insurance purposes, and they'll have to log it on the system. I know you shouldn't have to do this, but....

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Marathon Man

the best thing to do is cycle an old banger of a bike. if it gets stolen it can easily be replaced. the funny thing is that nowadays a lot of bikes are more expensive than certain cars (especially second hand ones), and the cops will fuss more over a cheap car than an expensive bike. where is the logic in that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Money Shot wrote:
    The police, literally do not want to know, no matter what the value of the bike. My information was taken down on a yellow post it - no follow up whatsoever. In fact, I seriously doubt if it even made it on to their system.

Yep, tried to report a bike stolen a while ago n the Garda didn't give a sh*t. Told him i had to report it so that i could claim on my house insurance, The prick literally laughed at me "sure that wouldn't be covered at all..."
    The €360 i got about a month later says otherwise.
    Couldn't believe how much i had to argue with him just to get him to actually fill out a report.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Money Shot

I wonder if it would help if people with gripes like these starting sending letters to the Garda complaints office ?
    Probably not, but they might have to book up their ideas if they wanted to avoid complaints that need to be actioned. That is a disgrace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Marathon Man

The only way the guards would care or at least pretend to care about a stolen bike is that if it belonged to a prominent official. However, apart from a few exceptions the politicians in this country get chauffeured around in gas guzzlers at our expense. No wonder the politicians are in such bad physical shape. one recalls the old adage 'healthy body, healthy mind'. How apt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

I have a different story with reporting theft to the Gards.

I bought a €430 Trek hybrid about 8 months ago. It was stolen one weekend I was away from our apartment block basement bike shed. I reported it at the station, expecting them not to care one bit. But a detective from behind the counter asked me for the bike description (after giving it to the uniformed Gard), and asked me to follow him. He showed me a similar-looking bike in their lock-up and it was mine. Got it back the same day I reported it.

The Gard said, so long as you have the Serial Numbers, there's a 1:2 chance of getting it back. I just don't believe it.

He also said, just buy a really, really expensive, strong lock. Or two if you can carry them. And *never* be complacent about your bike. And, finally, get it insured if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Mine was stolen today :( Anyone any advice on locks/anti theft devices? Was looking at a couple of alarms like this or this, but i'm not sure whether they're actually practical or just gimmicks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

I dunno. I was told, go for a high-end Abus lock, a U-Lock and a chain lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I like the look of those kryptonite New York locks. Are they more marketing than security though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭ruprect

DirkVoodoo wrote:
    I like the look of those kryptonite New York locks. Are they more marketing than security though?
    No they are good, but very heavy. I have a 3.5kg motorbike lock in work, I just leave it there for good locked to a gate. I had a lighter kryptonite lock, midrange.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Cool, any idea where these can be bought in Dublin?

Get a folding bike, bring it everywhere with you and sod locks :)

S

Advertisement