Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony gets humble; brings back rumble

Options
  • 01-03-2007 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭

Hey, that rhymes!

Anyway, looks like we can look forward to rumble-enabled PS3 controllers in the not too distant future. Sony has settled their litigation with Immersion, and the two have entered into a business agreement.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/070301/sfth075.html?.v=79
    SAN JOSE, Calif. and FOSTER CITY, Calif., March 1 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Immersion Corporation, (Nasdaq: IMMR - News), a leading developer and licensor of touch feedback technology, and Sony Computer Entertainment (SCE) today announced the companies have agreed to conclude their patent litigation at the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit and have entered into a new business agreement to explore the inclusion of Immersion technology in PlayStation® format products.

"We are pleased to have put this litigation behind us," said Immersion CEO Victor Viegas. "Our new business agreement with Sony Computer Entertainment is specifically intended to enable advanced vibration capability for the benefit of the PlayStation gaming community. We are happy to provide our technology in this regard and hope to make technical proposals very soon with respect to use of our technology in the PlayStation products."

Immersion will receive the amount of the judgment entered by the District Court, which includes damages, pre-judgment interest, costs, and interest, in addition to retaining compulsory license fees ordered by the District Court which were already paid. Terms of the business agreement between the parties provide SCE with certain new rights with respect to Immersion's patent portfolio. Additional financial terms are not being disclosed. The conclusion of this litigation and the agreement will have no material impact on Sony's consolidated earnings forecast announced on January 30, 2007.

"We look forward to exploring with Immersion exciting new ways to bring the largest and best range of gameplay experiences to our customers," said Kazuo Hirai, President and Group Chief Operating Officer, Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. "We are very excited about our new partnership with Immersion and the potential for new and innovative products incorporating their technologies."

Presumably they'll take advantage of that cool-sounding next-gen rumble technology Immersion had been previously touting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

good news, except if you already own a PS3.

lucky for me i just took back my deposit (i need the money, i'm still a filthy sony slapper, don't worry) so around christmas when i get the thing, i'll enjoy a nicer controller then early-adopters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

good news, except if you already own a PS3.

lucky for me i just took back my deposit (i need the money, i'm still a filthy sony slapper, don't worry) so around christmas when i get the thing, i'll enjoy a nicer controller then early-adopters.

Well, with controllers being available seperately, so you won't necessarily :p

Think of the DualShock on the PSone. It was introduced after launch, but became the standard.

Maybe Sony will be nice and offer a trade-in deal on old controllers, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

A pity Sony didn't save developers and consumers all this by agreeing a deal with Immersion before the console was launched.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

That'll be cool. The thought of no rumble kind of perturbed me a little, but then I doubt I'd miss it too much. Nice to know now it's coming!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I thought the reason they left it out was to save battery life?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Nope. They lost big in a lawsuit over the rumble tech.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

We have no plans to do so in the standard controller that ships with PlayStation 3. I believe that the Sixaxis controller offers game designers and developers far more opportunity for future innovation than rumble ever did. Now, rumble I think was the last generation feature; it's not the next-generation feature. I think motion sensitivity is. And we don't see the need to do that.

4 days later...

We are very pleased to have reached a cooperative agreement with Immersion regarding the use of its advanced vibration technology (haptics technology). We look forward to working closely with them as we explore new and innovative ways to utilize this technology in PlayStation products.
    oh sony, how i love your flip flopping and backpedalling :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Hopefully they'll employ their next generation feedback technology. It got some glowing previews, but of course it was never signed up by anyone..until now perhaps.

http://www.thegamefeed.com/features-030026304a557d132427383a29ccc10d.html
    Our first chance at feeling it in action was with Medal of Honor. Immersion was able to modify the game’s code for the Normandy Beach invasion to take full advantage of their technology. With all the explosions and barrages of gunfire surrounding you while you make your way up the beach, it was surprising to feel each and every blast. A big initial surge followed by light sensations for falling debris.
    The range of vibrations you feel when you power on a light saber to striking down enemies around you are varied yet distinct. The vibration of the controller increasingly grows as the light saber surges on screen only to subside to a gentle hum. Each swing and strike of your blade rumbles in your hands as well.

Advertisement