Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Model Release Question

• 02-03-2007 1:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭

A friend ask me to take some photos for her company, which will contain pictures of her employees.
    I know, that you normally need model release forms signed, if you want to use a photo of a person for advertisement, but does this also apply for employees of a company, if the advertisement is for their employer.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,302 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yes, as far as i know, in that i know someone who appeared in an ad for their company, and they signed a model release form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭bigred

Yep, absolutely, no release, no photo.
    It's somewhere in some privacy legislation - the employee's right to privacy at work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

Thanks, that what I thought. I wasn't just sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Simplicius

I have a new angle on this.

I have just been asked for use of one of my photos on a cover of a national magazine, naturally it is a street shot of 3 people interacting, none of whom knew I was there. One face is clearly visible.

Can I sell this picture without their releases being obtained? Does fact they were on the street over-ride the other laws...

I think I know the answer myself but thought it is no harm to pluck the wisdom from the board's guru's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

mdebets wrote: »
    A friend ask me to take some photos for her company, which will contain pictures of her employees.
    I know, that you normally need model release forms signed, if you want to use a photo of a person for advertisement, but does this also apply for employees of a company, if the advertisement is for their employer.

to me that question isn't for you, as you ang an employeeren't the person publishing the picture, the company is. so if there are any issues, it will be between the employees and their boss

in the company i work for it outlines their policies on things like this in the staff handbook. for many companies, by being an employee, you often give your employee many rights including things like this

• Advertisement

Cheers but that does not answer my question
    Simplicius wrote: »
    I have a new angle on this.

I have just been asked for use of one of my photos on a cover of a national magazine, naturally it is a street shot of 3 people interacting, none of whom knew I was there. One face is clearly visible.

Can I sell this picture without their releases being obtained? Does fact they were on the street over-ride the other laws...

I think I know the answer myself but thought it is no harm to pluck the wisdom from the board's guru's.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i think your ok if it was in public, and ya aint dissin the folk and the image isnt focused on the one whos visable??? maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Can I sell this picture without their releases being obtained?

I think you will need a full signed release for this, especially if it's to be used in a magazine (non-editorial??).

No harm going back to them and asking for a signed release.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Paulw wrote: »
    I think you will need a full signed release for this, especially if it's to be used in a magazine (non-editorial??).

No harm going back to them and asking for a signed release.

If it's the picture I'm thinking of, that could be ... problematical :D

If it's the picture I'm thinking of, that could be ... problematical :D

naw..not that one, this one is even more ironic...
    this is the picture

2912021890_0dec411738_m.jpg

and the magazine who want it for their front cover is the .. Garda Review!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ColmDawson

Isn't there something about people in a public place having no expectation of privacy?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Great pic as usual Simplicius. I know you're looking for a definitive answer from someone that's 100% sure so I'm not able to help there but I am very interested in the answer too. A correct definitive answer.

But I did have a question on the pic...how did the police find the photo? As in how when they were compiling their mag did they go "hey here's a shot we'd like in". How does one get a pic noticed like that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

TJM would be the best person to get in contact with over something like this.

humberklog wrote: »

But I did have a question on the pic...how did the police find the photo? As in how when they were compiling their mag did they go "hey here's a shot we'd like in". How does one get a pic noticed like that?

Easy Answer, I have a friend who works in that section who pointed them my way .. so luck...

And yes it is an interesting question re street shooting versus rights on use of images for financial gain. (just hope it isn't some Garda sting operation to catch offenders:eek:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭ttcomet

Could you get the Garda Review to sign a licensing agreement for the image that states it is for editorial work? Would be different if you were trying to sell it to Nike or something like that as an advert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

from what i remember

if the people are in work, and on work time you have permission to be in the work taking pics then the model realease needs to be sighned of from the MD. I think il ask t he old man for you he is wise in the ways of model realeses...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

naw..not that one, this one is even more ironic...
    this is the picture

2912021890_0dec411738_m.jpg

and the magazine who want it for their front cover is the .. Garda Review!!

Add motion blur to the people in the background ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

It was generally accepted that employees can be photographed for promotional brochures etc without a release, but the law and peoples attitude change and I'm not certain any more
    My feeling is that it would be wiser to get a simple release signed to prevent any unwanted complaints further down the road. It's no big deal and can save an awful lot of hassle..

from my old man .

Advertisement