Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very high line attenuation?

Options
  • 02-03-2007 10:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭

I got my modem from BT yesterday (and the letter the day before saying my broadband had been activated). Installation seemed to go well, and the DSL light on the modem is constant, as it should be, but when I run the Quick Setup it asks for my username and password. When I enter them the page that says 'connecting' keeps refreshing and then after about a minute it goes back to the page where it asks for my username and password. I think the problem is the line - the diagnostic test (I have a Voyager 210) sometimes says PPP has passed but Authentication has failed, sometimes it says PPP has failed, and once for about a second it said that PPP and Auth had passed but something else had failed, I think it was getting the IP. It shows my line attenuation as 52dB, which seems far too high. I have filters installed at all sockets correctly. Do I need a special ADSL telephone cable from the socket to the modem? It was too far away to use the cable they supplied, so I just used a normal long telephone cable.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭kkontour

Did you contact BT, I setup same for my Sis and even though she got the same letter as you she had to ring BT to get her account activated.
    KK

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Sounds like your account is fully setup which is a frequent occurence. Ring sales and make sure your user/pass is setup on your account.
    The line attenuation depends on the quality of the line and distance from the exchange aswell as the speed you're setup for so it may be fine. For example your 52db would indicate a 1meg connection and about 5.5km from the exchange. If you're getting a solid DSL light then attenuation is unlikely to be the problem.

A normal phone cable is fine. You don't need anything special.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Downstream Line Attenuation: 51
    Upstream Line Attenuation: 31

Those are my values and I have no problem with my 3Mb connection, have you installed a filter on the connection to the router? I don't think it's helpful for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭fluppet

Yup, username and password were still pending, even though they sent out a letter saying the account was activated. I finally (after many hours on hold) got it sorted out last night - over a week after it was supposed to have been activated.

It seems to be going well now - let's just hope that's the end of my troubles, but as I haven't gotten my first bill yet, I doubt that it will be

I think I'll get a new telephone cable anyway - a twisted pair one, as the current wire seems to be leaking the signal, causing interference with my (CRT) monitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭pyzon

Just got 2MB Eircom package today and here is what I got from stats..

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 2048 256
    SN Margin (dB) 30.50 17.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 1.50 4.00

100mts from exchange :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement