Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yet another battery question

Options
  • 02-03-2007 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭

I've been doing some research lately on "bang-for-buck" 6/7 cell battery packs, but found that just about all information in this field is 1) US specific, and 2) high end related.

Has anyone experience with the cheap (aka affordable) eBay packs on sale like those from EEE4U? I'm just a backyard basher and don't want super long run times and speed that cost a fortune - but then again aren't we all power hungry adrenaline junkies too?

How many cell manufacturers are then in the world in any case? Aren't they basically all the same? I'm just sick and tired of reading about IB, GP and Sanyo brands - those things cost more than my 1:1 car battery for Pete's sake!

BTW, its's for the 2006 XL-5 Traxxas Rustler.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

It more or less goes like this.

Electric model planes of certain power are more demanding on their batteries than model cars and trucks. So the savvy leccie plane modellers figured it all out a long time ago.

Intellect look good on paper, but they have a high failure rate, and are "fragile" when compared with other top end makes.
    I have not, and do not plan to spend any of my money on these.

The next in performance and price would be GP. These are really excellent, deliver high power, and last a reasonable time. I use these for preference and have a lot of them. .

Next would be KAN batteries. Better pricing than GP. Almost as good as GP but not quite. Good quality. Last a decent time, possibly longer than GP. Deliver lots of power. I use a lot of these too.

Now we get to Tornado, Eco, Yellow Pack, Plasma, Super Dooper. and a million other "fantastic brandname" budget makes. You can have them.
    They should be half the price of the ones above, because they deliver half the power, and last half as long, no matter what the stated capacity on the label.
    This is what you get included with an internet "deal". They also charge at half the speed of the ones mentioned above.

Now the cheapies in the high capacity do work, and are cheap.
    They may be what you want.
    But I would rather have one good one than two half price budget ones.
    A good one can be recharged in 30 minutes, but the cheapies need an hour, so to get the same running time you need more cheapies.
    So there goes your savings, unless you use a slow charger (wasted on fast charge batteries) and want to charge 3-4 cheap batteries at home from the mains, then go out and empty them through your model engine. That approach works.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Has anyone used www.cheapbatterypacks.com?
    They are US based and will make virtually any type of pack you need according to their website.
    I was thinking of ordering 2 7 cell GP packs for my Easystar from them the shipping works out out at 12 dollars which is pretty good considering the exchange rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭syl77

Hey CJHaughey,

Yep, I use them last year, got two 8 cell kan batteries for an electric model i had. To be honest, I used the batteries about 4-5 times after I got them (got tired of flying the model fairly quickly) so I can't say if they retain there power. However Coolwings gives a good review (above).

No problems with site though and they were delivered in good time.

Syl

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

CJhaughey wrote:
    ...Has anyone used www.cheapbatterypacks....
    Oregon USA !! I don't go farther than 5 miles to get my models! :D
    CJhaughey wrote:
    ...I was thinking of ordering 2 7 cell GP packs for my Easystar from them the shipping works out out at 12 dollars which is pretty good considering the exchange rate.
    Shipping is only the beginning of it. You had better add on customs and duty and handling if you want to know the real cost from USA.
    syl77 wrote:
    ...Yep, I use them last year, got two 8 cell kan batteries for an electric model i had....Syl
    Syl is right - both KAN or GP will fly that model with authority.

But seven?
    High voltage rules in flying. So seven is a very limiting battery size, and the chargers that do 6-7 cell(8.4volt) are pretty useless for "normal" model flight.

Green Hobby in Dublin sell that model (Multiplex Easystar) and other aircraft the same size with 8 cell packs only.
    And in my own models that use that motor, I use both 8 and 10 cell packs. (the 10 cell packs with a geared reduction and bigger prop for extra performance and long duration)
    These battery pack sizes are rather more like the voltage you need to make a plane go right! :)

Advertisement