Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer internship

• 02-03-2007 5:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭

I received an email from one the big 4 today saying that weren't going to take me on for the summer so now i'm in a bit of a pickle. All 4 have stopped taking applications at this stage and others such as mazars and BDO aren't taking on anyone for the summer.

Could anyone recommend a firm/small business that might have summer positions available in dublin city centre?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

JoeyD wrote:
    I received an email from one the big 4 today saying that weren't going to take me on for the summer so now i'm in a bit of a pickle. All 4 have stopped taking applications at this stage and others such as mazars and BDO aren't taking on anyone for the summer.

Could anyone recommend a firm/small business that might have summer positions available in dublin city centre?

PWC by any chance Joey? I feel your pain.:( Stiff competitiion out there for jobs these days. You think the leaving is the be all and end all and if you get a good one you are set. I got got a bloody good one, got good grades in my course and I am still having trouble finding summer work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Babybing wrote:
    PWC by any chance Joey? I feel your pain.:( Stiff competitiion out there for jobs these days. You think the leaving is the be all and end all and if you get a good one you are set. I got got a bloody good one, got good grades in my course and I am still having trouble finding summer work.

Passing exams can only get you so far.

Kenny 5 wrote:
    Passing exams can only get you so far.

Yep thats my point. Good grades are pretty much a pre-req for decent jobs these days rather than a distinguishing factor. Just frustrating becuase I am genuinely enthusiastic, have a good knowledge of the profession and feel I am pretty well rounded......Maybe not as much as I think:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Passport

What you studying?
    What year?
    If you don' tmind me asking

Passport wrote:
    What you studying?
    What year?
    If you don' tmind me asking

3rd year of a four year course. Im studying economics but Im am taking all Quantitative subjects(Including accounting) and most places it would be classed as more along the lines of finance.

• Advertisement

Babybing wrote:
    Yep thats my point. Good grades are pretty much a pre-req for decent jobs these days rather than a distinguishing factor. Just frustrating becuase I am genuinely enthusiastic, have a good knowledge of the profession and feel I am pretty well rounded......Maybe not as much as I think:(

There are times when you can be a little too informed and it may sound as you've been prepped as to what to say.

Kenny 5 wrote:
    There are times when you can be a little too informed and it may sound as you've been prepped as to what to say.

Yeah I get what your saying and I am very conscious of that. I try to be as natural as possible in interviews. If they like me for who I am then great. Unfotuneatly the strategy has'nt worked so far. I am keeping the faith though. Eventually Ill hit on somewhere I am a good fit with.

Remember, there'll be alot more trainee positions so don't be disheartened by not getting an intern position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

Babybing wrote:
    PWC by any chance Joey?

Funny you should say that...

I'm in my penultimate year for an accounting & finance degree. But yea they said if you don't get the job, don't be too disheartened, as they have a lot more graduate positions to fill next year. I chanced my arm and applied for a few random places today so fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

Yeah, don't worry. Last year I had interviews with all of the Big 4 for summer internships and none of them took me on. This year I had interviews for a graduate position with 3 of them and I got offers from 2. You should be fine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 doringo

I didn’t get an intern position with big 4 too. I just start my ACCA studies and I am planning to apply for a graduated position in one of them. I will really appreciate if someone tells me more about interviews with big 4. I don’t have educational background in business or economics so any advice will be welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭lochie

JoeyD wrote:

Merill Lynch were taking on summer interns last year, check out their website, I got called for an interview there last year but unfortunately the dates didn't suit me as they wanted somebody for the full three months of the summer. It would be worth checking out, don't think the closing date was until the end of March last year. They are in situated in Sandyford, I know that isn't city centre but it is only 20mins on the luas line....Best of luck anyways :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭lochie

doringo wrote:
    I didn’t get an intern position with big 4 too. I just start my ACCA studies and I am planning to apply for a graduated position in one of them. I will really appreciate if someone tells me more about interviews with big 4. I don’t have educational background in business or economics so any advice will be welcome.

well closing dates for applications for graduate positions is very soon so you would want to get moving if you wanna apply this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 doringo

Thank you Lochie. I am not focusing to apply for a job just with the big 4. I am really interested in what kind of question they are asking on the interviews and how many rounds you have to pass to get a job.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Just a quick question as to whether anyone knows of any other firms outside the big 4 taking on summer interns that I can still apply to?

I have a couple of applications still outstanding but I want to have all my bases covered in case they don't happen.

Advertisement