Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lcvp

Options
  • 02-03-2007 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering what everyones thoughts on LCVP are,

IMO its a relatively easy way to get 70 points for little work comparative to say, getting 70 points (C1) in maths or irish or something like that.

Dunno if it could ever be a full subject though....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

I thought it was hard to actually get the 70 points? Most people get the merit which is 50 I think.

The subject itself is so boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

cson wrote:
    Just wondering what everyones thoughts on LCVP are,

IMO its a relatively easy way to get 70 points for little work comparative to say, getting 70 points (C1) in maths or irish or something like that.

Dunno if it could ever be a full subject though....
    I believe its something like 1400 out of 14,000 people get a distinction in it every year, hardly an easy 70points. Saying that, I didn't do it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

well i do LCVP and honest truth is is that out of the whole class about 5 people actually bothered doing it well.most people are just too lazy for the coursework which takes up most of the points . it is certainly easy but not ridiculously so like CSPE was at JC.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I do LCVP.

Many people in my class are certain they will get the distinction...but to be honest I have seen most of their portfolios and they are awful...I feel bad for saying that but it's true.

In the mock I was really stuck for time as I elaborated too much on the first few questions (case study and video) and my answers for the last few questions was short and terrible.

It is easy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭PeterMC

Everyone says LCVP is easy, and it is for 50 points, but 70 is hard enough to come by. Your talking perfect scores in lots of bits. Saying that, better than a pass subject like for points!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭cson

I think it's the general perception of it by students. Most in my class see it as a chore, a necessary evil so to speak, and don't really bother their arses with it.

I'm the whole time trying to point out to them (especially ones doing ordinary level subjects) that with a bit of effort put into it, its a lot easier to get a distinction and 70 points (C1) than get the same points in a tough HL subject and its worth more than an A1 in OL. I mean I need relatively high points for my course and I'm pretty sure i'll be counting lcvp if I get the distinction.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭lilmizzme

are u having a laugh!!??lcvp is the hardest subject ever!!!do not listen to anyone who says its an easy 70 points, hardly anyone gets a distinction!!!no matter how much work u put in, its soo hard to get 70 points....

Ok, im gonna try to be logical with you here.

"Lcvp hardest subject ever" > I don't think so.

Lcvp in my eyes consists of;
    1) Report writing - good coherent reports which run along the same lines most of the time and if your given direction by your teacher should be no problem at all

2) Interview - If you decide to do it at all

3) An exam which requires basic knowledge of business and the ability to watch an audio - visual tape and answer questions related to it

Right in comparison to lets say English, with its 7 poets, macbeth play, comparative texts or Irish with its sceals, poems and stair or Maths etc etc

So for the amount of work in these subjects, I would reason a C1 or 70 points takes a lot of work and is not gotten easily.

For the same amount of points you could pay extra attention and care to doing a portfolio, learning a bit of business and....... thats it.

The reason I believe students think it hard is that they don't bother their arses with it, and I reason that if they did.....well it could just about be the easiest 70 points on offer.

For the record, last years Leaving Certs in my school (out of 60 ish) 26 people achieved a distinction and they weren't in anyway extra talented etc, they just bothered doing the work.

Sorry for the big spiel on this, but its a big issue with me, the lax attitude towards it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Not necessarily. I did it last year, put in work, got my portfolio as good as possible, even studied for the exam. Not much, but still. And I got a Merit. The problem is that in a very easy subject, they have to mark it very hard, so you have to be more or less perfect to get a distinction.

So by all means aim for one, but don't count on one. It's a dangerous risk.

I wouldn't count on it, just as I wouldn't count on any of my subject. You just can't predict what you'll get, its a dangerous game.

The point im trying to make is, that in the grand scheme of things with a bit of effort, ability and the right guidance it IMO is a lot easier to achieve the 70 pts in Lcvp, as opposed to a C1 in Maths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

cson wrote:
    I wouldn't count on it, just as I wouldn't count on any of my subject. You just can't predict what you'll get, its a dangerous game.

The point im trying to make is, that in the grand scheme of things with a bit of effort, ability and the right guidance it IMO is a lot easier to achieve the 70 pts in Lcvp, as opposed to a C1 in Maths.
    Tell us if you get the 70 in august... I've known people who put a lot of work into the portfolio and only gotten merits. The exam paper itself is a joke according to most people, but the portfolio isn't.

Tell us if you get the 70 in august... I've known people who put a lot of work into the portfolio and only gotten merits. The exam paper itself is a joke according to most people, but the portfolio isn't.

This isn't about me. Im trying to put forward a logical argument on Lcvp. From my personal experience and those I know who have done the leaving cert and achieved a distinction in lcvp, 70 points in Lcvp would be considered eminently more achieveable than 70 points in HL Maths/Irish/English comparative to the amount of work required.

Unfortunately the response i've gotten on this thread..... well you may as well be trying to knock down the great wall of china with a hammer as show you the benefits of lcvp's 70 points. Pre-concieved notions married to pessimistic outlook is all I seem to be getting here.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭lilmizzme

cson wrote:
    Ok, im gonna try to be logical with you here.

The reason I believe students think it hard is that they don't bother their arses with it, and I reason that if they did.....well it could just about be the easiest 70 points on offer.

Sorry for the big spiel on this, but its a big issue with me, the lax attitude towards it.

Dont be so damn patronising. My point is its a tough subject, no matter how much work is put in. There are plenty of people who put a lot of time and effort into portfolios and still cant get above a merit. Out of 60 in your class, less than a quarter achieved the maximum mark. Thats not very high, is it. And yes, I agree, a lot of the probably just didnt bother put the effort in, but you cannot say put the work in and you will sail out with 70 points. It just dosen't work like that.

LCVP shouldnt be taken lightly, or seen as a doss subject. It's a tough subject, and by no means an easy few points. Don't mean to be pessimistic, but despite your best efforts, the odds are, you will be disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

would you recommend somebody to do it for the lc, might be handy for a lot to replace something likeirish/maths for points

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Raphael wrote:
    Not necessarily. I did it last year, put in work, got my portfolio as good as possible, even studied for the exam. Not much, but still. And I got a Merit. The problem is that in a very easy subject, they have to mark it very hard, so you have to be more or less perfect to get a distinction.

So by all means aim for one, but don't count on one. It's a dangerous risk.

QFT:), I mean my cousin put a good bit of effort in to LCVP and didnt get the Distinction.
    It isn't even recognised as a subject for Matriculation, just for points.

timmywex wrote:
    would you recommend somebody to do it for the lc, might be handy for a lot to replace something likeirish/maths for points

Yes. Put in a bit of work, get the right guidence/instructions from teachers and 70 points (C1 in a higher paper) is very attainable IMO. Whatever about HL subjects it should be a no brainer if you're doing OL subjects as a merit is worth 50 points (pretty high grade on an OL paper AFAIK).

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭PeterMC

nah..it really doesn't take that much work or effort, compared to other subjects. I got the distinction last year, minimal effort, basically spent the year on the internet during class, typed up 6 things, spoke for five mins and sat a simple exam. Chill lads, tis a nice easy 70 pts IMO

Advertisement