Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is this breaking the Rules of the Road?

Options
  • 02-03-2007 5:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭

After a quick straw poll in the office here, four out of five people said it is but there's always one isn't there :)

On Wednesday night at 9 p.m. I was driving up the Lower Churchtown Road and came to the lights that are about half way up it at the golf course. There is a left turn just before this junction. There were two or three cars at the lights and as I had no room I pulled up before the yellow box which is on the road in front of this junction, the box obviously being there for the purpose of giving people a chance to get out when the lights are red.

A woman driving a large Merc (with her headlights on full beam for whatever reason) drove up behind me and stopped. The lights were still red. She then proceeded to indicate left, pull out to the right of my car and turn left into the side road, directly in front of me.

A car which was coming around the bend in front of us had to slow down to keep a safe distance. Off she went. No-one sounded any horns or displayed any general displeasure.

The lights turned green five seconds later and off we went. So she basically pulled what I thought was a daft manoeuvre to save herself three odd seconds of waiting.

Now the question is of course, was she breaking the Rules of the Road by pulling this manoeuvre around me and over a yellow box or is there some situation whereby this action is ok? I'm convinced she was wrong to do that and should have waited as the time gain vs the danger involved in unexpectedly driving around me on the wrong side of the road (presenting a hazard to oncoming drivers also) is scarcely worth it.

Opinions?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Did she break a continuous whitle line ? or a broken white line.

If it was broken white line she was entitled to overtake.

If you had beeped your horn would you have been committing an offence ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Chief--- wrote:
    Did she break a continuous whitle line ? or a broken white line.

If you had beeped your horn would you have been committing an offence ?

Actually I will have to check that next time I go down that road, I honestly can't remember if it's continous or broken there. Is it still 'overtaking' if we are all stationary and she just pulls out and crosses in front at a ninety degree angle to me?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

if it was a broken line then it isn't against the rules of the roads, it's still crappy driving though! see this a fair bit though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

The broken line is one thing, but if she caused oncoming traffic to slow down it was dangerous overtaking, because it wasn't clear to overtake. Besides a guard could always use the auld "dangerous driving" which they seem to use as a catch all if they take a dislike to anyone.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

BostonB wrote:
    The broken line is one thing, but if she caused oncoming traffic to slow down it was dangerous overtaking, because it wasn't clear to overtake. Besides a guard could always use the auld "dangerous driving" which they seem to use as a catch all if they take a dislike to anyone.

oh yeah, deffo dangerous, just not breaking a specific rule, like crossing a solid white line or whatever..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Is it not illegal to over take within ~10m of traffic lights?

Same way as it's illegal to park within ~10m of a junction, regardless of there being a line or not. I know people who got parking tickets for parking close to a junction with no markings on the road.

Back to OP's question. Doesn't make any difference to the legality anyway. It was a stupid and dangerous manouver(sp?). What would have happened if the lights went green and you move off, she's on the wrong side of the road with a car heading for her? You crash into her and get done as you hit from behind:confused:

@ Chief

What law is the OP breaking by using their horn? It can't be used after 9pm for non emergencies. I'd say a car overtaking you and then cutting straight across the front of your car would be classed as an emergency.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Del2005 wrote:
    @ Chief

What law is the OP breaking by using their horn? It can't be used after 9pm for non emergencies. I'd say a car overtaking you and then cutting straight across the front of your car would be classed as an emergency.

Its not an emergency its just a way of venting anger.

A child about to step off a footpath 20 yards down the road, yeah beep your horn.

But if somebody brakes heavilly in front of you causing you to stop suddenly, sitting on the horn is only a way to vent anger.

As for the times.. It would have been ok.

86. (1) Subject to the following sub-articles of this article, the driver of every vehicle which is required by article 28 of these Regulations to be fitted with an audible warning device shall, whenever necessary in a public place, give audible and sufficient warning of the approach or position of the vehicle by sounding the device.

(2) A person shall not use, or permit to be used, any device provided on a vehicle for the purpose of giving audible warning except when such use is reasonably necessary on grounds of safety.

(3) (a) A person shall not, between the hours of 11.30 p.m. and 7 a.m., sound any audible warning device provided on a vehicle while the vehicle is on a road to which a speed limit of 30 miles per hour or 40 miles per hour under Section 45 or 46 of the Act applies:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

happens on a regular basis turning into Catherine St. in Limerick from Roches St.

Left lane is alway more congested so people pull into the right lane to turn left in front of car's going straight ahead, have even seen squad cars doing it a few times and have done it myself....it is a 1 way though

• Registered Users Posts: 78,394 ✭✭✭✭Victor

This junction?

I'm guessing:
    Not indicating (correctly) in a manoeuver.
    Driving without due care and attention.
    Driving with improper lights.
    (Presumably) Crossing a solid white line (looks solid).
    (Possibly) Driving under the influence.
    (Definitely) Being a Merc user.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Victor wrote:
    15 years no parole.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Victor wrote:
    This junction?

I'm guessing:
    Not indicating (correctly) in a manoeuver.
    Driving without due care and attention.
    Driving with improper lights.
    (Presumably) Crossing a solid white line (looks solid).
    (Possibly) Driving under the influence.

Yes that's the junction alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,847 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Chief--- wrote:

That's a necessary condition for a legal and safe overtake, but not a sufficient one! You don't have an 'entitlement' to overtake just because there isn't a continuous white line.

There was oncoming traffic so either she didn't have sufficient visibility ahead to complete the manoeuvre safely (e.g. a bend) OR she failed to observe properly OR she did see the car coming but thought she'd make it / thought her journey was more important than everyone else's.

Either way, sounds like a good candidate for either a careless driving or dangerous driving charge.

I used to go by there fairly often when I lived nearby, used to regularly see eejits in large expensive saloons pulling out of the golf club with no consideration for other traffic. I used to try to avoid using that road late at night because some of the drivers coming out of there were clearly drunk.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Advertisement