Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Normal Stereo instead of head unit?

Options
  • 02-03-2007 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm just wondering, is it possible/advisable to use a normal home stereo with speakers in a car instead of "car" speakers and a car head unit? If I have a lighter adaptor that will convert the power to 12 volt and plug a normal stereo/amp/speakers (all the one plug) into it, should it work? If it does, could there be hidden dangers by doing this?

any feedback appreciated:)

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

hmmm, i don't see whyit wouldn't work, have seen people mod PCs/DVD players to work in cars so this should be fine.

Would imagine it would sound crappy though..

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Alvis

I think your average home CD player will start skipping a lot due to the vibration from your car and the lack of anti-shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

The CD player might be okay, but trying to keep the turn-table steady will be a challenge..... :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

hehe, well it's not actually a CD player I'll be using, well, it will be, but I'll be hooking up my MP3 player to it so no worry about the skipping, the stereo will be just acting as an amp to feed the music to the speakers:) might give it a shot so!

Would it drain the battery quicker though?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Were you always such a tightwad or did you have to practice? :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Stephen wrote:
    Were you always such a tightwad or did you have to practice? :p

I've heard he makes his own coal.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,283 ✭✭✭✭Esel

You can also replace the driver's seat with your favourite armchair - allows you to rest your feet on the steering wheel (out the window in the summer). Next mod is to install a working fireplace, followed by a TV in the corner.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement