Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Would you uy a 0.9 liter car, reliable and cheap?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Lada Oka FTW, heavens to jebus, a 0.9litre car lol. People who care about the enviornement like myself will get a bad name when people are seen driving around in these butter boxes. Not only does the logan thing look terrible I bet it is actually more harmful to the environment than your average yank tank or jap mobile.

What next a car that has a blade underneath to cut the grass and starts with a pull cord? You cannot beat having a car that is built strong and is heavy and has a atidy engine (doesn't need to be massive) to get it along.

Yesterday, after washing my car I parked in a half full car park in Killarney naturally I parked across two spaces deliberately as for some reason the place was full of moms in SUVs.

Anyway I was away for about two hours and when I came back the whole car park was choc-a-bloc and in the half space that was on one side of my car was a BMW X5 taking up its own space and quarter of mine still leaving good clearance between the X5 and my 316, that was okay as the driver was only adhering to the rule*, but on my right some cheeky ejit had parked a Fiat Seicento with only several inches clearance on my side and it was slotted in between my car and the parking meter. The job I had to get into my car was massive as the door would hardly open.

My point being that why would we want these tiny dinky cars as they are a nuisance to other car owners like myself. How many times have I came behind a micra doing 50Kph I don't know.

*Rule being always park near a luxury marque, BMW, Mercedes etc or a heavily modified boy racer car as the drivers of these cars will take car not to ding their and your car. Avoid sloppy mums suv and 7 seater zafiras etc. If no spaces are available park at the furthest away point in the car park will the lazy bad drivers won't park.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

netwhizkid

You ARE taking the warm, yellow liquid ...yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

with the current state of technology, do you think it's possible to build a simple car, economical, that would last 20 years? cheap to maintain etc

ETA: also, what's the estimate of how much dealers, transport and other add to the cost of the car fresh from the factory?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

peasant wrote:
    netwhizkid

You ARE taking the warm, yellow liquid ...yes?

What custard? because that Fiat Seicento was a custardy colour :eek: Don't tell me it was you who pulled in alongside me in the Tesco Car Park in Killarney Town Centre?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Mayshine

To be honest I'm of the opinion most modern (french and italian cars excluded) cars can easily last twenty years.

The only thing I would recommend is changing all fluids ahead of the manufactures schedule and using high quality fluids when doing so, and following the service intervals for the other maintenance.

My car has pass 100k km and the only thing gone wrong so far is a dead battery. I fully expect it to do another 100 without a flaw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

netwhizkid wrote:
    but on my right some cheeky ejit had parked a Fiat Seicento with only several inches clearance on my side and it was slotted in between my car and the parking meter. The job I had to get into my car was massive as the door would hardly open.

Fair play to him.

I'd have done the same thing if I drove a Seicento.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SoBe

maidhc wrote:
    Fair play to him.

I'd have done the same thing if I drove a Seicento.

agreed

edit:

wonder will netwhizkid show up on this thread?

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055059692

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

I've a 1L Yaris and wouldn't change it :) , very reliable car and does really well on petrol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

The reason I voted "No" is mainly due to the safety issue, stoopid as it may sound if some numbnuts decides to crash into me I'd not like to come out the other side in pieces. Something about a bigger car its just reassuring for small to medium collisions.
    That's just me though, maybe I'm justifying the need for speed :o

• Registered Users Posts: 65,393 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Mayshine wrote:
    To be honest I'm of the opinion most modern (french and italian cars excluded) cars can easily last twenty years

LOL, any car can last any time depending on what worth and care people are putting to it

Look around in Japan and you will not find many 20+ year old Japanese cars. Look around in France or in Italy and there are loads of 20+ year old low-end French and Italian cars respectively

Cuba has many US 40s and 50s cars (total crap) still running about

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Savman wrote:
    The reason I voted "No" is mainly due to the safety issue, stoopid as it may sound if some numbnuts decides to crash into me I'd not like to come out the other side in pieces. Something about a bigger car its just reassuring for small to medium collisions.
    That's just me though, maybe I'm justifying the need for speed :o

My mam drives a Yaris which is quite niftyis 06....I'd much prefer to be in that than my grandad's 96 Carina if something hit me.....8 airbags vs 2, side impact protection to 06 standards vs 96....given the same budget I'd probably go in between the 2

• Registered Users Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

I drive a 700cc car, and theres plenty of power to overtake trucks and the like. Obviously it's no Ferrari beater, but it does the job. I'd happily buy another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Isn't the Daihatsu Copen two seater thingy only 600cc?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Not sure. Could be, it's definitely less than 1.0l

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

unkel wrote:
    LOL, any car can last any time depending on what worth and care people are putting to it

Look around in Japan and you will not find many 20+ year old Japanese cars.

One word: Shaken (sha-ken)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaken_%28Car_Inspection%29

• Registered Users Posts: 65,393 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

TJJP wrote:
    One word: Shaken (sha-ken)

I know that. OK, I'll put it slightly differently. Look in Ireland and you'll find less 20+ year old Japanese cars than you'll find 20+ year old French and Italian cars in France and Italy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Go to north africa and see how many old french cars are still on the roads.

Back to the original point, I don't think you should get too caught up on the engine size, prioritise fuel economy, emissions, reliability and simplicity and you're on the right track.

Advertisement