Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Commuter trains to be replaced by 33 new railcars

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭MLM

The additional new trains are welcome, but its a bit ridculous that somewhere as far away as Athlone is considered part of the Dublin Commuter belt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

maybe some of them will operate Athlone-Galway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭MarkoP11

MLM wrote:
    The additional new trains are welcome, but its a bit ridculous that somewhere as far away as Athlone is considered part of the Dublin Commuter belt.

They ain't additional

Now 183 on order
    Total of 133 Mk3 coaches to be withdrawn (confirmed now)
    Approx 40 Mk2 coaches to be withdrawn (by mid 2008)
    Total being withdrawn approx 173

Net gain 10

Its all politics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

u wud be surprised how many people commute from athlone every day

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

how many mark 3's does that leave assuming the mk 2's are kaput.

• Advertisement

Zilch

99 Mk3
    9 Mk3a
    all to go by 2009

As of today
    24 Mk3pp
    1 Mk3pp ex HST
    all gone by 2009 ish

So for all the talk there is a small increase in the fleet but nothing magical, the numbers still don't add up with the promised capacity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

MarkoP11 wrote:
    They ain't additional

Now 183 on order
    Total of 133 Mk3 coaches to be withdrawn (confirmed now)
    Approx 40 Mk2 coaches to be withdrawn (by mid 2008)
    Total being withdrawn approx 173

Net gain 10

Its all politics

What's the gain/loss in seat numbers and trainsets?

Swapping the push pull trains for the 33 new railcars is worth about 25% extra in seats

Passenger numbers where up 14% last year so that 25% extra means little it won't do much in dealing with people standing, no one should stand for more than 20 minutes so basically Sallins and outwards no train should have someone standing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DerekP11

And lets not forget that these trains are predominently designed for inter city work. Off loading commuters through single doorways is not a good idea. They aren't designed for large numbers standing either.

It would appear lazy. A dedicated commuter unit designed for the distance would make more sense. But the IE/Irish Government combo meal, just isn't as good as KFC.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,890 ✭✭✭SeanW

http://www.transport.ie/viewitem.asp?id=8880&lang=ENG&loc=2126

33 new of those Korean InterCity railcars for commuter services to Athlone, Portlaoise and Carlow.

What baffles me the most though is that noone saw this coming, the first read of this, was a link to the press release in the P11 forums. Neither the P11 guys who, to their eternal credit, normally know what's going to happen 6 months before it does and almost always have the inside scoop, nor the IRN crowd whom I would have expected to have heard something, nor anything here on boards.ie. Just WHAM, there it is ... not that I'm complaining - more new high quality trains are always a good thing.

My guess is that the government just decided to do this recently, like in the last week or so. I've noticed that they've been getting busy recently, sorting out long overdue business with emergency legislation, buying bridges etc, my guess is they want to show they're actually capable of doing something in the run up to the election.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

SeanW

more like FF candidates running to Bertie about getting dogs abuse on the doorsteps in Kildare, Wicklow, Meath etc. to me - cue a phone call to Korea!

Advertisement