Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota Auris advice

Options
  • 02-03-2007 10:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've been offered 14K trade in for my 03 Civic 1.6SE auto against a new Auris MMT. I'm trying to decide between the 1.4 D4D and 1.6 vvti.
    I like the fuel economy figures 1.4 diesel, but the 1.6 has more power - at least on paper. I drive about 15K yearly mixed between town and motorway driving.

Any opinions/ advice regarding which is the best purchase?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

I'd go for the 1.6 it's worth it for the extra bit of power

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Drive them both. The characteristics of a diesel engine are different to petrol. Diesel delivers its power at much lower revs than petrol. If power is going to be the determining factor, you might be pleasantly surprised with the diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The 1.4 D4-D has 90bhp and the 1.6 VVTi has 122bhp. The power of both engines though is delivered at different rpms so the difference in real life may not be as dramatic as it is on paper. As someone else said drive both before deciding.

If resale value is important to you then the diesel will be worth alot more down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

McSandwich wrote:
    Hi,

I've been offered 14K trade in for my 03 Civic 1.6SE auto against a new Auris MMT. I'm trying to decide between the 1.4 D4D and 1.6 vvti.
    I like the fuel economy figures 1.4 diesel, but the 1.6 has more power - at least on paper. I drive about 15K yearly mixed between town and motorway driving.

Any opinions/ advice regarding which is the best purchase?
    That trade in price they gave you is excellent.
    My friend only the other day got offered 8700 on his 03 Almera 1.5 with 42k miles and its a good spec 4 door saloon. He was looking at a 1.4 Corolla Saloon Terra
    What dealer was this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭McSandwich

Lex Luthor wrote:
    That trade in price they gave you is excellent.
    My friend only the other day got offered 8700 on his 03 Almera 1.5 with 42k miles and its a good spec 4 door saloon. He was looking at a 1.4 Corolla Saloon Terra
    What dealer was this?

Yeah, it's the best price I've got so far, it's Murphy & Gunne in Tallaght.

• Advertisement

Avns1s wrote:
    Drive them both. The characteristics of a diesel engine are different to petrol. Diesel delivers its power at much lower revs than petrol. If power is going to be the determining factor, you might be pleasantly surprised with the diesel.

The problem is no dealer seems to have either in stock.. the closest I can get for a test drive is a 1.4 D4D MMT Yaris...

Save one or two grand and get a diesel ford focus.

ronoc wrote:
    Save one or two grand and get a diesel ford focus.

Thanks, I'll check that out, though I need an auto and from what I remember that's not an option for the focus diesel.

bazz26 wrote:
    The 1.4 D4-D has 90bhp and the 1.6 VVTi has 122bhp. The power of both engines though is delivered at different rpms so the difference in real life may not be as dramatic as it is on paper. As someone else said drive both before deciding.

If resale value is important to you then the diesel will be worth alot more down the road.

That's what I hoped to hear, I also like the d4ds 56mpg!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'd buy a prius instead, if you want automatic and good fuel economy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement