Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Results!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Today was a day of highs and lows...

First class: Irish, got 85%(HL)

no more results until the last class..

English: Paper 1: 53% ......
    English was marked SO hard, due to the fact that our teacher, who's only come in as a replacement since December is on the committee of auditors of examiners for LC English. No mercy whatsoever. In any case, I wrote a descriptive narrative for a letter of reference, whatever that means.... Put simply, I will not be attempting a letter this June. But meh, I'm not counting English in my points and I'm pretty sure my paper 2 will bring me up to the mid-60s anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 FergusConcannon

oh wow I was surprised how well I did. I'm aiming for business and japanese in DCU at only 375 so I said f*** it and took it fairly easy for the mocks.

Maths(HL) 60% which was way too much;)
    Irish (HL) 60% oral and aural killed me
    English (HL) 75% meh my comparative killed me
    French (HL) 88% Worked hard for this
    Physics (HL) 83% and I couldn't even do the electricity questions cause electricity is just plain gay and confusing
    Geography (HL) 74% meh expected
    Economics (HL) 74% expected
    Accounting(HL) still to do. If I don't get at least 70% I'm handicapped
    total was 470 points ...I still can't believe it:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭cson

Accounting(HL) still to do. If I don't get at least 70% I'm handicapped

A tad politically uncorrect perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 FergusConcannon

*edits* It would be obvious I do not have full faculty of mind* :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Today was a day of highs and lows...

First class: Irish, got 85%(HL)

no more results until the last class..

English: Paper 1: 53% ......
    English was marked SO hard, due to the fact that our teacher, who's only come in as a replacement since December is on the committee of auditors of examiners for LC English. No mercy whatsoever. In any case, I wrote a descriptive narrative for a letter of reference, whatever that means.... Put simply, I will not be attempting a letter this June. But meh, I'm not counting English in my points and I'm pretty sure my paper 2 will bring me up to the mid-60s anyway.

If you write a descriptive narrative when asked for a letter, you're not answering the question. You'd be lucky to get more than zero for that. Harsh, but true. I lost marks for not using the word "interesting" even though I addressed the rest of the question properly. They hammer people for this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Got one back:

Business D1 51% (C3 with Irish bonus)

Since I literally didn't open the business book once the night before (I had physics the same day) I was happy enough.

Pure Cork wrote:
    If you write a descriptive narrative when asked for a letter, you're not answering the question. You'd be lucky to get more than zero for that. Harsh, but true. I lost marks for not using the word "interesting" even though I addressed the rest of the question properly. They hammer people for this.
    Well the thing is it was supposed to be a letter of reference, I presumed, "right, letter of reference, I'll pretend I'm a manager of a company and I'll describe a certain person and how they contributed to the company", which wasn't too far off the mark. I know I should have made it more personal and focused on referring the person to a specific job or something, but I don't think everything I wrote was irrelevant to the question and I'm quite sure another teacher might have been more lenient. However, I'm not complaining, this teacher has been correcting exams for 30 years and knows what he's doing. I know they hammer people for little things in English and am glad to have had made the mistake now rather than in the real thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

English (HL) A2
    Irish (HL) B1
    Maths (HL) C2
    Geography (HL) B2
    French (HL) B2
    Biology (HL) B3
    Physics i havnt got back yet
    with those six i hav 475 which is ok but i was hoping for 500...i was disappointed with geography,i wrote a load of stuff that i didnt get marks for (and it wasnt irrelevant waffle) still,im delighted with biology (which i thought i ****d up completely) and maths (where i got 13/50 and 14/50 in two questions on paper 2 :D )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Taffy89

I got 475 which was 100 points up from what id estimated so im delighted!

Irish Hl C1 65
    English b2 80
    Biology b2 80
    French b2 80
    history a1 100
    Art c1 70

im hoping to get art up to a B1 and maybe biology up to an A2 and basicallt just maintain the others.

my main fear is that Il go down in the real thing because all ours were sent away so I dont know if they were a bit inflated our what..>

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Well i don't know what to take from the Mocks overall i've done very poorly!!

But i did absolutely no study for the mocks so it's all that would be expected.

Some serious focus needed in Higher Level Maths and Physics..

Maths H 25%
    Physics 35%
    Biology 62%
    Geography 81%
    French 60%
    English TBA (probably 65%)
    Irish L 68%

With some work on with Maths and Physics and the Orals i should get my 425 i need in June.. lets hope!;)

• Advertisement

English (HL) A2
    Irish (HL) B1
    Maths (HL) C2
    Geography (HL) B2
    French (HL) B2
    Biology (HL) B3
    Physics i havnt got back yet
    with those six i hav 475 which is ok but i was hoping for 500...i was disappointed with geography,i wrote a load of stuff that i didnt get marks for (and it wasnt irrelevant waffle) still,im delighted with biology (which i thought i ****d up completely) and maths (where i got 13/50 and 14/50 in two questions on paper 2 :D )

Wow well done, what you hoping to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Well yesterday I said I needed 92 marks in paper 2 to pass, which I got back today. I got 91 marks...frantic rush to calculater, quick typing, and ends up with 39 & 5/6%, so, as its more than half, its rounded up, and I somehow managed to pass Honours Maths. I'm stll very much surprised.

Also got French back, was surprised...got 60%, a C2, so I was delighted with that, thought I did awful. Out of 2 subjects so, thats 110 points...nothing to boast about but when I thought I'd failed maths, did **** in French, 110 out of those seems good. Cant wait to get some others back now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

HL English 94%
    HL Maths 89%
    HL Physics 96%
    HL Chemistry 84%
    HL Biology 94%

HL English 94%
    HL Maths 89%
    HL Physics 96%
    HL Chemistry 84%
    HL Biology 94%

If ever there was a time to go.............. GEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK it's now:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

If ever there was a time to go.............. GEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK it's now:D
    If there was ever a time to go jeaaaaaaaaaaaalous.........:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

Marshy wrote:

lol. beat me to it.

Marshy wrote:

And you're not!?!:D :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Got my Business paper back today,shocked! 85%, my highest business result before was 60%. It was the examcraft paper(sunsheen paints ABQ). Anyone else do this one and get it corrected by the company, was it the paper itself that was easy or the marking of it,i did not even study that hard.

Ye I did that business paper as well. Except I got 71%. I thought it was marked a bit hard by my teacher because we were given the marking scheme and I seemed to lose more marks then I shouldve, but nonetheless a lot of work to do still.
    I failed the Maths Paper 1 horribly (33%), Im not too worried and theres no way im going to drop to pass maths.
    I got 79% in Accounting which was worse than Christmas tests. I still have 4 exams to get back plus Ordinary Irish. Oh ye my Irish oral is in the morning though I'm temtped to not bother and take a lie in since I know I passed.
    After this Paddy's weekend, after the SCT final on Sunday and bank holiday monday Im going to have to start absolutely studying like I did in first year all those years ago

2 more results.

84% in Maths 2. Paper 1 will probably drag me down to a B2 or B3, however. And I'm pissed off I made so many little mistakes(9/10 on question (a)s about 4 times!) seeing as I needed one more mark to get the A2. But overall I'm happy and confident I can get the A1 in the actual thing.

68% in Chemistry. Disappointing, especially since I simpy messed up so many little parts that all added up. Truth be told, rather than not knowing stuff or the exam being hard I simply had one of those days and did a bad exam(put it this way, they asked the same question twice in different sections and I got it right once and wrong once....) Hoping for a B1 or A2 in the actual thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Maths HL 63
    English HL 64
    Gaeilge HL TBA(I've been told it's atleast a B1)
    Geography HL 67 ( :BOO-HOO: )
    Economics HL 62 (actually 64, that's how much of a dope the teacher is)
    Physics HL 86
    French HL 84.333333etc.

460+ anyway. Want an A in Geog(work,work,work, but I will do it), Want at least a B3 in English, Eco and Maths. Other than that satisfactory, though I want my A in Irish.

That would be 500.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

HL Maths 51 - was 47 until we realised the examiner forgot to correct an entire question - can't believe I got that much though!
    HL Irish 79 - disappointed, cause I thought I deserved better. Learned off an essay perfectly and got only 68 for it
    HL Latin 79
    215 points so far... we'll see...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

I would respond to

but
    Marshy wrote:
    says it all.

Selphie wrote:
    HL Irish 79 - disappointed, cause I thought I deserved better. Learned off an essay perfectly and got only 68 for it
    In fairness you don't deserve anything for learning off an essay perfectly. Even talking outside my personal opinion on it, the examiner will spot a learnt off essay a mile away and mark you down.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

JC2K3 wrote:
    84% in Maths 2. Paper 1 will probably drag me down to a B2 or B3, however. And I'm pissed off I made so many little mistakes(9/10 on question (a)s about 4 times!) seeing as I needed one more mark to get the A2. But overall I'm happy and confident I can get the A1 in the actual thing.

:eek: Wanna give your brain by June?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

JC 2K3 wrote:
    In fairness you don't deserve anything for learning off an essay perfectly. Even talking outside my personal opinion on it, the examiner will spot a learnt off essay a mile away and mark you down.

Oh sh*t is that true? Most of my Irish class learned off the same essay, the teacher said it was a good idea...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Steve01 wrote:
    Oh sh*t is that true? Most of my Irish class learned off the same essay, the teacher said it was a good idea...

ROFL

Steve01 wrote:
    You do know examiners get batches of papers from the same school.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

JC 2K3 wrote:
    I didnt think they could mark you down in that instance. I mean how can an examiner be 100% sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭rjt

Maths (HL) - 96%
    English (HL) - 70%
    Irish (OL) - 74%
    History (HL) - 81%
    Physics (HL) - 87%
    Applied Maths (HL) - 81%
    French (HL) - 77%

Really happy with these results. I didn't deserve the B2 in French, the comprehensions were easier than usual (DEB paper). Got pretty lucky in History too (having done an essay on Wilhelm's Naval Policy the week before the exam, and we were covering Propaganda in Nazi Germany at the time, both came up).

Still waiting on Chemistry, but 515 points at the moment, so I'm really happy. I was aiming for 450, and my course was only 410 points last year (and hasn't been above 450 in the last few years). If I can repeat this in June, I'll be well on my way to Trinity :D

• Advertisement

Forgot to mention my latest results:

English Paper 2: 72% meaning I got 62% total. Pissed off I messed up P1 now...
    French: 73%(81% in written exam, 60% in oral and 64% in aural). Happy cos I didn't open a book. :)

My points tally:

English: C2
    Irish: A2
    French: B3
    Chemistry: C1

Which means I've got.... 300/400 points so far, still 3 subjects to get back and hopefully I'll get around to doing an app maths mock sometime.

Advertisement