Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Results!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Murns

Well my results are a bit all over the place... :
    Biology HL A1
    Irish HL B3
    English HL B3
    Music HL C1
    History HL D1
    German HL D1 (usually my best subject so i dunno what happened)
    Maths OL A1

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

I seriously underperformed in my mocks!

English HL 73%
    Irish OL 83%
    Maths HL 53%
    Physics HL 35% (no study)
    Geoography HL 69%
    Spanish HL 60%
    French HL 47%
    TD HL 42%
    Business HL 78%

Im probably gona drop TD now, too much work. Im planning on getting over 500 points. Got just over 400 points in the mocks (i think) because i havent calculated them yet...to lazy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

whats TD?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Murns

Technical Drawing isnt it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

Technical Drawing.
    Steve01 wrote:
    Oh sh*t is that true? Most of my Irish class learned off the same essay, the teacher said it was a good idea...

It's not a COMPLETELY bad thing...

Obviously, if a student is going for a HL A1, the corrector will notice the learnt-offness of their work and they won't get it. But in the case of Ds, Cs, Bs, it shouldn't make as much of a difference. Making students learn off essays etc is a common enough practice... Our Irish JC was entirely learnt off (comprehensions aside) and loads of us got As. If you've got the same essay as the person before you when they're being corrected (learnt off), and yours is perfect while the other persons has a few mistakes... Ye will be marked for the content, not the originality.... It doesn't matter that the teacher has made ye learn it off. If the corrector sees the obvious pattern, they may WANT to mark you down... But as long as you've covered yourself enough and not left anywhere for them to doc some serious marks, there's nothing they can do...

Obviously in terms of the very high grades fluency will be noticed and marked accordingly, but as grades drop you'll get away with it easily... Remember you're STILL answering the essay/etc question properly, even if it is just regurgigating something learnt off onto a page..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

Yup td is technical drawing, its very tough, especailly if you only start the course in 5th year!!!!! (a few friends in some other skools also do the same, just because they dont offer the subject at junior cert level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

md99 wrote:
    Remember you're STILL answering the essay/etc question properly, even if it is just regurgigating something learnt off onto a page..
    Well thats my excuse sorted :D I know that the examiner will want to mark something down if he sees the same thing being regurgitated over and over, but doesn't the marking scheme say that 80% of the question goes for use of language? So hopefully if the grammar/ spelling etc. is perfect I won't lose too many marks.

We were given a good all-purpose essay about a girl whose boyfriend has gone to America at Christmas time in search of work and then mails her a ring saying he'll be home soon, asking her to marry him. I had my Irish mocks today and the option I chose was entitled 'díoltas' (revenge). Had to tweak parts of it, it now ends with the words 'Nollaig shona duit, a striapach!'. Oh the crazy possibilities...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

I wish more marks were allocated for Mechanics:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Steve01 wrote:
    Well thats my excuse sorted :D I know that the examiner will want to mark something down if he sees the same thing being regurgitated over and over, but doesn't the marking scheme say that 80% of the question goes for use of language? So hopefully if the grammar/ spelling etc. is perfect I won't lose too many marks.

We were given a good all-purpose essay about a girl whose boyfriend has gone to America at Christmas time in search of work and then mails her a ring saying he'll be home soon, asking her to marry him. I had my Irish mocks today and the option I chose was entitled 'díoltas' (revenge). Had to tweak parts of it, it now ends with the words 'Nollaig shona duit, a striapach!'. Oh the crazy possibilities...
    I had the same paper and chose the same essay. Mine ended with:
    "Sháigh Seán cnaipe an ghunna isteach chomh crua is a d'fhéadfadh sé leis an láidreacht fisiciúil agus anamúil ar fad a bhí in chorp."

And I got 88 for it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Pffft, I got 67 for my PERFECT death on the roads essay. Hmm, so learning difficult Irish adjectives is the key?

• Advertisement

JC 2K3 wrote:
    I had the same paper and chose the same essay. Mine ended with:
    "Sháigh Seán cnaipe an ghunna isteach chomh crua is a d'fhéadfadh sé leis an láidreacht fisiciúil agus anamúil ar fad a bhí in chorp."

And I got 88 for it :)

Oh dear God! You talk of becoming physical and animal-like in nature... tell me you didn't do anything else besides killing her?

LMAO

anam = soul

anamúil = soulful or spiritual... doesn't really translate that well to English..

"leis an láidreacht fisiciúil agus anamúil ar fad a bhí ina chorp" = with all the physical and spiritual strength in his body

And he was shooting a guy, it was a class story all about díoltas and murdering fathers and whatnot.

Oh right lol. Thats far more acceptable than I originally perceived :D

It looks like you have a great grasp of thr Irish language. You should go out to the nearest Gaeltacht and promote the language. What better time than Seachtain na Gaeilge! In the local Gaeltacht out here (An Rinn, Co. Waterford) there's about 2 people who speak Irish. Except for the cows, they go 'mú' instead of 'moo'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭sunflowerz

got C1 in higher level maths....SO HAPPY!!! , hoping to get it up to a B1 though 4 the real thing

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

78 in OL physics...happy enough I suppose, dont want to raise expectations too much. Hopefully get an A come June

Steve01 wrote:
    Oh right lol. Thats far more acceptable than I originally perceived :D

It looks like you have a great grasp of thr Irish language. You should go out to the nearest Gaeltacht and promote the language. What better time than Seachtain na Gaeilge! In the local Gaeltacht out here (An Rinn, Co. Waterford) there's about 2 people who speak Irish. Except for the cows, they go 'mú' instead of 'moo'
    lol, I'm in an Irish speaking school, so I speak it every day.

got 75% in HL economics which i'm quite disappointed with, but the rest have been great so can't complain.

the econ was corrected very well but also very strictly and i mean VERY strictly...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

Biology 76
    Irish 75
    Economics 91

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

My results so far:

Maths:C2(despite only having 5 questions on paper 1 and no option on paper2)
    Biology:B3
    Geography:A2
    Phys/Chem:A2
    LCVP: Distinction
    French:C1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Higher English: 80%/B1

Art History: 57%...BUT I got the highest out of 17 in the class. It was marked very strictly. I was the only one that got the honour. The practicals are not back yet.

In the other higher english class 16 students got an A, 5 got a B and 2 got a C.
    It was marked way too easily! The teachers are going mad about it.

Oh and I failed higher Biology...but lets not mention that again :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

For curiosity, I was just wondering, how many people used the mock paper tips in the other threads for their exams?

How many peoples results are actually real? (no cheating)

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭lilmizzme

JSK 252 wrote:
    For curiosity, I was just wondering, how many people used the mock paper tips in the other threads for their exams?

:D

lilmizzme wrote:
    :D

That says it all. lol

it just seems people are bragging way to much....i mean the fact that one come here to talk about the results must mean that one knew about the site during the mocks and so may have had some helpful hints??

*prepares to be stoned/shunned or a combo of both*

JSK 252 wrote:

Not I... Could have easily used them but didn't, wanted a genuine result.. I am against cheating for the pres, one of the most pointless acts..

md99 wrote:
    I am against cheating for the pres, one of the most pointless acts..

Couldn't agree more...i mean at the end of the day, they mean absolutely nothing! Girl in my year couldn't sit any of her exams cus she got caught cheating in the first exam, so now she has absolutely no idea what level shes at!!

They're there to show u what u need to work on, if u cheat you're completely wasting your time..

The mocks are no real indicator, I dont think. I know plenty who got 350 in the mocks and 500+ in the real thing, and vice versa as well...

If you cheat in the pre exams your only fooling yourself at the end of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Wow well done, what you hoping to do?
    physics @ u.c.c..need 480 points..got a b3 in physics (paper was rock hard) which means i hav 485 points :D so im happy enuff for now
    in june,im hoping to get A1s in physics and geography

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

JSK 252 wrote:

How many peoples results are actually real? (no cheating)

I asked someone if kingship and no yeats was on their paper...I also followed the french spoilers..but ended up getting a diff paper. But I already knew kingship was going to come up, suspicious essay on it at the last minute in class...and we'd been told no yeats. Basically I confirmed that was my paper, not cheated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭me2gud4u

hi i'm new!
    so far pretty pleased with the results although more work needed for maths and chemistry if i want the A1

business a1
    german a2
    Biology a2
    chemistry a2
    Maths b3
    Havn't got irish and english back yet but would be hoping for a1 as i speak fluent irish, and english was sent out too, so fingers crossed!that said tis only the mock and there is no room for complacency yet!

Advertisement