Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Results!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭boger

md99 wrote:
    No matter how much you refuse to believe it, cocoa, it doesn't mean it's not so.

No point in telling us things 'as far as you know'... when we know the real story ;)

md9 whatever your name is, stop being so bloddy condecending and arrogant. my understanding of this site is for people to discuss matter, not to have people posting who think there better than everybody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

cocoa wrote:
    @ Nehpets : I asked for evidence, not opinion.
    @ Murderer : an understanding of marking schemes themselves is certainly valuable, but I specifically specified an understanding of the process for making marking schemes.
    Oh right, well in that case it doesn't really matter to use to know how they're made. Although there is truth in the results each year. The DoE would prefer if the results are pretty much the same each year and they do go to some (somewhat unethical) extremes to make sure that the results do conform to a certain pattern. Our Biology teacher told us that in the first year of the revised sylabus, too many people got A's so he was asked to recheck all the papers which had got A's and had to find ways to mark DOWN candidates who obtained an A by only 10 marks or less!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭cson

It does happen despite what the SEC would have you believe. It's not as bad here as it is on the continent, AFAIK for the Bac they grade everything find an average and hand out the 'A's and 'B's etc based on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Oh right, well in that case it doesn't really matter to use to know how they're made. Although there is truth in the results each year. The DoE would prefer if the results are pretty much the same each year and they do go to some (somewhat unethical) extremes to make sure that the results do conform to a certain pattern. Our Biology teacher told us that in the first year of the revised sylabus, too many people got A's so he was asked to recheck all the papers which had got A's and had to find ways to mark DOWN candidates who obtained an A by only 10 marks or less!
    There's a difference between marking to a curve and fine tuning an exam/syllabus.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Yes there is, but I don't think that in this particular example that they were trying to fine tune the syllabus - they were merely trying to correct the exam in such a way that it followed the trend of previous years despite the candidates having already done enough to be awarded an A.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

cocoa wrote:
    I did look it up officially, it doesn't work that way.

Evidence?...

Where does it say it doesn't work that way?

You've stated that you haven't found any evidence of this happening since 01 - have you found anything which says that it stopped after 01?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I'm on 265 for five subjects, history to come back hopefully tomorrow. If I get an honour in it, which hopefully I do, I'll end up with 325 points, which I'd be happy with. Not ecstatic, plenty of room for improvement, which I intend to make full use of.

Got Accounting & Irish back today. Accounting was marked awful, their marking scheme Final A/C didnt even balance! I had put in the mistake that they left out on it. According to them, I got 65%, but from going over it, I actually got 69%. I could give myself 70% though, but i'm taking away marks for something that was so blatantly wrong but they gave me marks for. Thats the difference between a C1 and B3 now, 2 damn marks!

In Irish, I only did Paper 1 and the aural, nobody did an oral for it. On Paper 1 alone, I got 83%, then when i incl. Paper 2(which I skipped), I'm on 55% for the written paper. Should have the aural back tomorrow, but if I was to get 0 on that, I'd end up on 41%. And I felt that went well, so I could end up at around 60% overall in it, which I'm very happy with

Mushy wrote:
    Got Accounting & Irish back today. Accounting was marked awful, their marking scheme Final A/C didnt even balance!

We had the same one, Examcraft, not only does it not balance but there's an error on the Balance Sheet (they used the 'old' Creditors figure instead of the correct one), lol, that's Examcraft for ya, I got 101/100 in the Incomp. Records Q, despite having a few mistakes too I might add!

Well done Examcraft!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

Meanwhile I probably won't get any of my papers back till after Easter. God dammit

your the same as md99

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

md99 wrote:
    We had the same one, Examcraft, not only does it not balance but there's an error on the Balance Sheet (they used the 'old' Creditors figure instead of the correct one), lol, that's Examcraft for ya, I got 101/100 in the Incomp. Records Q, despite having a few mistakes too I might add

Thought I explained that Creditor thing there, obviously it was to somebody else. Thats where I lost marks on it, classic. They also added up Interpretation Q wrong, gave me 58 when it added up to 62, then only gave 6/10 for one paragraph when I mentioned everything they said I should, and same for profitability paragraph...fools. I lost way too many marks on my second question of Section 2 though, realy need to work on that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

I just noticed the examiner totally disregarded my prescribed poetry answer in English paper 2:mad::mad::mad:

boger wrote:
    your the same as md99

you mean he's correct also?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭cson

Isn't this thread about results and not marking schemes/practices?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

md99 wrote:
    Evidence?...

Where does it say it doesn't work that way?

You've stated that you haven't found any evidence of this happening since 01 - have you found anything which says that it stopped after 01?
    ok, last post in this thread because reasonability is clearly beyond you. My sincerest apologies to everyone for hi jacking the thread onto marking to a curve.

First of all, you are claiming that something exists, so the burden of proof is yours because a lack of evidence for something makes it reasonable to assume its non existence.

Secondly, If you had taken the time to look through the strategic statement on examinations.ie you would have noticed several references to equality between exams from different years, this clashes with marking to a curve. That, plus a lack of any reference to marking to a curve, is plenty for me, believe what you like but don't go trying to force your opinion on others when you have no real basis for it.

md99 wrote:
    you mean he's correct also?

there you go again. condescending. cocoa is totally right, stop talking ****

boger, go away or make a proper argument, these little comments aren't helping anyone..

md99 wrote:
    boger, go away or make a proper argument, these little comments aren't helping anyone..

the worst thing about this is that you actually think your making a proper argument, your talking **** and im not going anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

Gee, it seems kinda off-topic to mention it at this stage but I FINALLY got a pre paper back. Thats right, one pre paper. Have to wait till after the holidays to get the rest back. It was an A in pass maths anyway, so I'm happy out for the time being.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Mr.X

Irish-H-78
    english-h-66
    maths-h-87
    geography-h-66
    chemistry-h-80
    french-h-97

I am dissapointed- ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭cabla

435 here. I need 425 for my course so i think im ok...seeing as i screwed up two subjects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 enilorac89

Our math's examiner left comments beside each sum. Like one had "nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!" written across the whole page. Or "that's all very true...but who asked for it? no one..." and "-2 isn't really going to appear in more than one place now, is it? :)" and "hmmm....this is bizarre" It was fun to read.
    And i really feel like quite the idiot reading your results. I did quite the bad :( I guess I should start studying sometime soon. Lame...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Sauron

English - 85
    Classical studies - 79
    French - 85
    Economics - 93
    Biology - 86
    Music - 79

so that's 530...

which is pretty much what I'm aiming for... now... I just have to keep working :(
    Stupid complacency...

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭nedward

Ag Science 88
    Business 89
    Chemistry 89
    French 95
    Geography 80
    Physics 93

That's 555. Only another five needed for Dent, lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭shazzyshaz

i got 455...need to go up alot tho!! how possible is it to go up by 50points????

shazzyshaz wrote:
    i got 455...need to go up alot tho!! how possible is it to go up by 50points????

if you put the work in its totally possible to go up by 50 points.

shazzyshaz wrote:

anything is possible, you could go up by 50, down by 50, down by 400, up by 5... what is your course?

that would b pretty scary to go down! but i suppose some ppl would take a back seat and think aragh sure amnt i grand!!
    Im hoping for dental hygiene in trinners its 490 but theres only 8 placeS!:eek:
    But yeah, so im workin hard enuf now so hoping it goes up a bit!!

How much shud we all b doin at the weekends and hols?? like i have no idea! im killed after 4 hrs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

Do what it takes for you to know it

• Advertisement

sounds advice nehpets...sound!:) gluck

Advertisement