Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitting a recessed mat in tiled floor

Options
  • 02-03-2007 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

I need to recess a mat into an existing tiled floor - van anyone help with the following:

What is the best way to cut out the outline of the mat well and remove the tiles?
    What depth should the well be?
    Is there a brass trimming kit to fit around the perimeter and cover the tile edge?

Any other advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

I'd suggest a 4" tile cutting disk on a grinder, however it will be very dusty. You could place a 2x1 timber on the floor to get a strait line. Then chisel out the tiles & adhesive with a masonary chisel.
    Depth, easiest would be to go to concrete level which would be thickness of the tile plus 3-4mm. If you decide to go deeper it will be difficult as you'll be removing concrete.
    Go for a slimmer mat which will work best.
    Brass strips are available from carpet/flooring shops or the likes of B&Q. You'll have to mitre the corners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Yorky

Thanks for this reply.
    You could place a 2x1 timber on the floor to get a strait line.

Do you mean place it on the insideof the perimeter to be cut out and cut along the outside edge?
    Depth, easiest would be to go to concrete level which would be thickness of the tile plus 3-4mm.

Would this not be only about 10mm in total depth? I don't know whether matting that thin is available. If the concrete floor has to be lowered, what is the best way of doing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

Yorky wrote:
    Thanks for this reply.

Do you mean place it on the insideof the perimeter to be cut out and cut along the outside edge?

Would this not be only about 10mm in total depth? I don't know whether matting that thin is available. If the concrete floor has to be lowered, what is the best way of doing this?

Definately place it on the outside of the perimeter to be cut, in case the angle grinder wanders off line - at least this way it will only damage the tiles you are about to remove.

If you need more than 10mm, the you will need to cut deeper into the screed, which should be sand and cement based, so not difficult to cut at all. I'd also cut lots of cuts in the area the correct depth and bolster the material out. Probably go 10 - 15mm deeper than you want, and use a floor leveling compound or a neat mix of cement to level the base of the recess off. (BTW, make sure there are no pipes under the area before cutting :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Yorky

Definately place it on the outside of the perimeter to be cut, in case the angle grinder wanders off line - at least this way it will only damage the tiles you are about to remove.

Thanks for that. What would be the best way to fix the straight edge to the floor without screwing it to the tiles whcih are not going to be removed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

I'd say make up the rectangular frame from 3x1 or similar, and leave projections in such a way that you can stand on it to prevent it moving. Otherwise cut the area for the mat from a large piece of plywood. Have a look at this sketch to explain it better
    Image1.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement