Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Golf 1.9TDi worth buying?

Options
  • 03-03-2007 12:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭

Im thinking about getting a 01 golf 1.9TDi
    Any opinions?whats the car like,much poke in it??110bhp is that right?
    My alternative is a 03/04 toyota corolla luna hatch 1.8 petrol but it might just be outside my swing

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

sweet jesus no, not another VW versus Toyota thread!!

Most people on here are rabidly opposed to anyone buying a car
    except for the one they think is best (often because they have one).
    So take everything everyone says with a pinch of salt!

The golf would be fine, the 1.9TDI is nothing special but good enough
    and has decent enough pull. Will have much better fuel economy that
    the 1.8.

However if the choice is 01 golf 1.9TDI v 04 corolla 1.8 get the toyota.
    It's much newer and has already lost the initial chunk of value. I would have thought the toyota would be much more espensive though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭imeddyhobbs

daveym wrote:
    sweet jesus no, not another VW versus Toyota thread!!

Most people on here are rabidly opposed to anyone buying a car
    except for the one they think is best (often because they have one).
    So take everything everyone says with a pinch of salt!

The golf would be fine, the 1.9TDI is nothing special but good enough
    and has decent enough pull. Will have much better fuel economy that
    the 1.8.

However if the choice is 01 golf 1.9TDI v 04 corolla 1.8 get the toyota.
    It's much newer and has already lost the initial chunk of value. I would have thought the toyota would be much more espensive though?
    I would be doing well to get the toyota for €4000 more than the golf,would prefer a diesel
    car no matter what,i can run it very cheap;)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The only 03/04 Corolla sold in Ireland with a 1.8 litre engine was the rare T Sport.

Are you sure your not talking about the Avensis 1.8 Luna?

Im thinking about getting a 01 golf 1.9TDi
    Any opinions?whats the car like,much poke in it??110bhp is that right?
    My alternative is a 03/04 toyota corolla luna hatch 1.8 petrol but it might just be outside my swing

The 2001 Golf 1.9 TDi was available in a number of different bhp. 90bhp, 110bhp, 130bhp and 150bhp.

You can tell by the red letters of the TDi badge.

90bhp TDi (all silver)
    110bhp TDi (red "i")
    130bhp TDi (red "D" and "i")
    150bhp TDi (red "T", "D" and "i")

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

bazz26 wrote:
    The only 03/04 Corolla sold in Ireland with a 1.8 litre engine was the rare T Sport.

Are you sure your not talking about the Avensis 1.8 Luna?

good point and the only ones you see are usually done up like kippers..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

You should look at a Skoda Octavia - same engine more room bigger boot and a hell of a lot cheaper!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

The 130bhp and 150bhp didn't come in until 2002 when they brought out the PD TDI engines.
    I think after 2002 the silver TDI became 100bhp and the red I became 115 bhp.

Don't go by the badge though, look under the boot tray for the KW output.
    The 110bhp model would have a lbit of poke alright but won't set any records. Apparently the TDI engines respond very well to chipping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

As was said above, the only 1.8 corolla of that generation is the 3 door t-sport, with a 189bhp engine. Good car, different league to the golf.
    You'll need to confirm the type of corolla you mentioned before anyone can compare the pros and cons of each. The 01 Golf was most commonly a 90bhp, in some cases a 110bhp and in rarer cases a 115bhp sometimes badged a GT TDi. The 100, 130 and 150 didn't come till '02. The 150 I think has all the same extra's that the GTi has. The colour of the badges has varied so many times on VW diesels that I wouldn't bother going by them any more.

Also... is there any thread these days that Eamon234 doesn't come on telling people to buy a Skoda?!? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭imeddyhobbs

yea i think it is the t sport,i saw one on carzone a few weeks back with 60000mls for €9500
    So any other suggestions for a powerfull diesel (hatchback)

yea i think it is the t sport,i saw one on carzone a few weeks back with 60000mls for €9500
    So any other suggestions for a powerfull diesel (hatchback)

What is you budget?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

You can tell by the red letters of the TDi badge

Actually, you cant. Although it is commonly thought that you can.

The problem is that both VW and owners have messed around with the red letters. The best way to check is on the sticker in the boot. It should have the three engine letter code. This is the only way to be certain, assuming the original engine is still in there ;)

Advertisement