Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Console wars, who is winning?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

they still haven't converted the Japanese, which is where the fight will be won or lost in the long term imo

the recent success of idolmaster and blue dragon in japan have been a step in the right direction though...so lets see if microsoft can build on it from there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The xbox 360 has actually gained a cult following in japan were it's 'cool' to own one in the same way it's cool to own a quirky japanese only or successful in japan console in the west. Blue Dragon did very well for microsoft but Lost Odyssey is the big RPG that a lot of japanese gamers are interested in.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I voted 'Atari jaguar' - it's too early.

BOHSBOHS wrote:
    actual uptodate worldwide sales figures :

http://www.vgcharts.org

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭BrenC

I don't think theres going to be a clear cut winner for this generation. PS3 though is made for long term, you'd get around 10 years out of it. I can see the PS3 doing really well and since Its looking like blu-ray is becoming accepted, it only helps its case. Plus the games coming out for it are good. MGS4!!! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

BrenC wrote:
    I don't think theres going to be a clear cut winner for this generation. PS3 though is made for long term, you'd get around 10 years out of it. I can see the PS3 doing really well and since Its looking like blu-ray is becoming accepted, it only helps its case. Plus the games coming out for it are good. MGS4!!! :D

I think this talk of the PS3 going to last 10 years or more is absolute bull. In about 5 years when all the next gen consoles are looking old I'm sure MS and Nintendo will have a new console in the works and Sony will have to react or be left selling an out of date console. The PS3 is going to last as long as the other 2 consoles. When another console manufacturer decides it's time to move on the other will have to follow or be left behind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Retr0gamer wrote:
    The xbox 360 has actually gained a cult following in japan were it's 'cool' to own one in the same way it's cool to own a quirky japanese only or successful in japan console in the west. Blue Dragon did very well for microsoft but Lost Odyssey is the big RPG that a lot of japanese gamers are interested in.
    Sales are pretty stagnent though. They have tried to win support and they've gone the rigt way about it but they really need to be challenging the PS3 on an equal footing in Japan, I think it's where Sony's dominance will prevail.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

sprinkles wrote:
    I think it's where Sony's dominance will prevail.

not just yet though. i think for a while the PS3 in Japan will be like the PSP. selling well, but being completely trounced on all fronts by nintendo... until some decent RPG stuff arrives that is.

i think Sony's dominance will prevail in Europe actually. we're pre-booking the thing like we've never pre-booked before on both a hardware and software front. it's true that how ever bad we're treated, we'll still lap it up like good little boys regardless. us buying the thing in droves will then allow Sony to give a price drop in America (a fancy bundle at the same price won't do it), boosting sales, especially for christmas. couple that price drop with the killzone2 demo around e3 and you'll start to see Sony rise up again stateside, purely because they won't be doing damage control anymore... they'll be building hype for the first time in about 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Retr0gamer wrote:
    I think this talk of the PS3 going to last 10 years or more is absolute bull.
    I think the way they meant it was that they will still be making and selling the PS3 in 10 years even with the PS4 out, like they did with the PS1 and they are likely to do with the PS2.

not just yet though. i think for a while the PS3 in Japan will be like the PSP. selling well, but being completely trounced on all fronts by nintendo... until some decent RPG stuff arrives that is.

i think Sony's dominance will prevail in Europe actually. we're pre-booking the thing like we've never pre-booked before on both a hardware and software front. it's true that how ever bad we're treated, we'll still lap it up like good little boys regardless. us buying the thing in droves will then allow Sony to give a price drop in America (a fancy bundle at the same price won't do it), boosting sales, especially for christmas. couple that price drop with the killzone2 demo around e3 and you'll start to see Sony rise up again stateside, purely because they won't be doing damage control anymore... they'll be building hype for the first time in about 2 years.

Not too sure about that statement. The PS3 was preordered like like crazy in Japan and America but after the hardcore gamers had got the first batch sales plummeted and it was easy to find a PS3 in shops. I predict the same will happen here. I'm sure the sheep, I mean general public in ireland will lap up the PS3 since they have a blind following of all things playstation. I doubt this will happen in the rest of Europe.

AS for the Killzone demo, I think you are the only person actually excited about Killzone. An MGS4 demo might spark more interest but until there are full games like GTA 4 and MGS4 then there won't be much interest in the console.

I think the Wii will hold it's dominance in Japan. The console is selling for the same reason the DS is selling so well, it's appealing to a huge market while the PS3 will only appeal to gamers. Even if the big RPGs like Final Fantasy get released then those games are still only appealing to the PS3's core audience and not the wider audience like the PS3. I'd say sony will try to rectify this with software similar to nintendos casual gamer output and we will probably see a plagiarised dualwiimote controller of some sorts at E3 but the big disadvantage the PS3 has is that the price is distancing itself from the casual market. You also have to remember that Final Fantasy isn't really that big in Japan. The real system seller in Dragon Quest and that has moved to the DS and Wii.
    Ciaran500 wrote:
    I think the way they meant it was that they will still be making and selling the PS3 in 10 years even with the PS4 out, like they did with the PS1 and they are likely to do with the PS2.

Probably right but it's still not a major selling point over the other 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Retr0gamer wrote:

Probably right but it's still not a major selling point over the other 2.

It's not a selling point but it probably should be. I'm sure people who bought PS2s 6 years ago and are playing Okami or FFXII and looking forward to GoW2 right now are thinking the console was a lot better value for money than Xbox or Gamecube owners who bought their machines 4 years ago. Even if the PS2 was 600 quid(and i'm pretty sure when you convert from punts and take inflation into account, it wasn't far off) it would have been easily the better value choice in the long run...

• Advertisement

It will only last 10 years if it's successful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 shonuff4909

Maybe because its cheaper, but it is still outselling all other consoles world wide. Good quality games continue to come out for it and they are in high def if you have the right cables. Sony knows how to plan for the future and most likely the PS3 will demolish the competition now that they have come out with a simpler system for the developers to use in creating games for it. PS3 Home is another thing that will help to seperate it from the weak Xboxlive community. A second-life like world to interact with gamers and display trophies, have your own area where you can invite people to come to. Much better than a Mii or a stupid dashboard.

Wii- Is a passing fad. With the motion control its great but with Blue-Tooth capabilities anything is possible on the PS3 in the near future. The Graphics are subpar and they don't have a very good processor. It is great for families and kids but for the serious gamer it is a joke.

XBOX360- Is struggling to stay ahead of the times and compete with PS3 technology but the lack of a blue-ray or HD-dvd that plays game content they will in the future have smaller games, shorter games, graphics may be great but the games will be smaller, sound won't be as good, and develpoers will move to make games for the better system once they learn how to use it. Don't get me wrong I believe they will be better off than Wii.

In the end we all know Sony is gonna win, but I believe all the consoles have their own niches this time, which has never happened before. After the initial crazes over the new systems people will figure out which ones they think will best suit their gaming needs and buy that one or trade in the one they aren't happy with for another. Possibly buy them all if they are really hard-core which happens quite often.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,359 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

i believe that the xbox 360 and ps3 will be ahead of the wii in times to come

the wii is a passing fad

Maybe because its cheaper, but it is still outselling all other consoles world wide. Good quality games continue to come out for it and they are in high def if you have the right cables. Sony knows how to plan for the future and most likely the PS3 will demolish the competition now that they have come out with a simpler system for the developers to use in creating games for it.
    Heh
    Wii- Is a passing fad. With the motion control its great but with Blue-Tooth capabilities anything is possible on the PS3 in the near future. The Graphics are subpar and they don't have a very good processor. It is great for families and kids but for the serious gamer it is a joke.
    Yeah its only family and kids that are buying nearly 5 million Wii's :rolleyes:
    XBOX360- Is struggling to stay ahead of the times and create with PS3 but the lack of a blue-ray or HD-dvd that plays game content they will in the future have smaller games, shorter, graphics may be great but the games will be smaller. Don't get me wrong I believe they will be better off than Wii.
    They don't seem to be having any trouble yet and games don't get much bigger over a generation. The only game that I know of that uses multiple discs is packed with video.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭mikeruurds

Sorry Sony... too little too late. My €700 has already been spent on Wii60 and there's just nothing about the PS3 that interests me.

PS Home, LittleBigPlanet... meh.

Mike

#Elites wrote:
    well you cant really compare the 360 to the PS3 (in my opinion the Wii doesnt count..its just not "up to standards") cus the 360 has been out much longer, and the ps3 isnt even out here.
    I don't see why not, just cause one had the advantage of time doesn't mean the other should be excluded. They are all looking for our money and our support now (or very soon)

Sony knows how to plan for the future and most likely the PS3 will demolish the competition now that they have come out with a simpler system for the developers to use in creating games for it.

i would imagine in 5 or 6 years time we'll see PS3 on top of the sales figures, but not by as much as PS2 vs. xbox. the idea that sony will "demolish" microsoft is rubbish...
    PS3 Home is another thing that will help to seperate it from the weak Xboxlive community. A second-life like world to interact with gamers and display trophies, have your own area where you can invite people to come to. Much better than a Mii or a stupid dashboard.

i personally love the idea of the playstation home. it's an MMO, for free. of sorts. they just have to get everything around it right, a-la xbox live.

i have a Wii, and honestly, it is collecting dust right now. nothing interests me, but as soon as mario or something pops along i'll be all over it like a bad rash. you're comparing it to the PS3 in terms of graphics and processing power, which clearly says that you missed the point of the Wii. the idea is to be fun and interactive, bringing the original philosophy of games back...
    XBOX360- Is struggling to stay ahead of the times and compete with PS3 technology but the lack of a blue-ray or HD-dvd that plays game content they will in the future have smaller games, shorter games, graphics may be great but the games will be smaller, sound won't be as good, and develpoers will move to make games for the better system once they learn how to use it.

i just got GRAW2, which impressed me beyond belief. i'm happy with my 360. especially since i got a hd-tv. also, it can play hd-dvds, but wont use it for games. if it comes to a situation whereby game length is an issue, you'll find packs on xbox live to download to extend the gameplay. but looking at oblivion, game play time is not an issue, and won't be for years. as for sound, it uses the same stuff as ps3 to output the sound, and right now the files are using the same bitrates.
    Possibly buy them all if they are really hard-core which happens quite often.

hi.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

projectmayham defending both the 360 and the wii?

I believe I owe you an apology my good man, it seems at times I have misjudged you.

Id say the ps3 will do great if Blueray catches on

again we see the ifs...of the 3 consoles the only one who doesnt have to worry about ifs is the 360. This is why it is probably in the best position. It has 3rd party support, it has already proven and delivered on its niche (xbox live) and it has shown a strong line up of exclusives already or very close to release.

compared to the Wii, which is garunteed quality exclusives from nintendo but needs third party to prove they will treat it better then a gimmick (so far shockingly EA and less soUbisoft are the only ones to show such inklings.) its niche is in its control and while there are games out there that show it can be an amazing game experiance...there are too many at the moment not delivering.

and we've all heard the many many ifs of the ps3 so no need to blunder on some more.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

LookingFor wrote:
    GT5 is still coming, you know.

Without actually wanting to get into the argument as you guys are making plenty of good points.. When will this actually be released?

Also, Sony promised us a GT for the PSP. How is that coming along?

My point is that Sony are full of **** and will bandy around big names like MGS and GT for years before the games are launched just to peak peoples interests and stop buying a competitors console. MS did it with Halo too.

The upcoming list of software on the 360 is what is really interesting me at the moment though:

- Halo 3
    - Mass Effect
    - BioShock
    - Forza 2
    - PGR4
    - GTA IV
    - Assassins Creed
    - C&C3
    - Enemy Territory: QW

If rumours of them getting Sam and Max are also true then I will be even more delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,359 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

i just got GRAW2, which impressed me beyond belief. i'm happy with my 360.
    Graw2 is superb, graphics are class

• Advertisement

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    projectmayham defending both the 360 and the wii?

I believe I owe you an apology my good man, it seems at times I have misjudged you.

no one believes that i actually own all of the systems, and enjoy them all... i defend sony because microsoft and nintendo don't exactly need defending right now, in fairness.
    MS did it with Halo too.

and continue to do that. MS are throwing halo around far more then Sony are throwing MGS, GT or Killzone around. MS have shown us 3d sprites months before the graphics engine is even close to being used for public showcase... just because it drums up hype. at least when sony throws out it's major titles there's something to get hyped up about.
    The upcoming list of software on the 360 is what is really interesting me at the moment though:

- Halo 3
    - Mass Effect
    - BioShock
    - Forza 2
    - PGR4
    - GTA IV
    - Assassins Creed
    - C&C3
    - Enemy Territory: QW

GTA, AC & C&C3 are due on PS3. i would imagine et will arrive on ps3 too. the big thing with this generation of consoles is exclusive titles. MS and Sony are making an active effort to get new IP's to their machines, but the system sellers are still Halo and MGS types, despite lots of moaning from the "oh not ANOTHER one of those games" brigade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

My point is that Sony are full of **** and will bandy around big names like MGS and GT for years before the games are launched just to peak peoples interests and stop buying a competitors console. MS did it with Halo too.

Like you said, MS did it with Halo too, I remember Bill Gates saying it would be out the same week as the PS3 launch.

Also, remember how Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime, SSBB etc. were all launch window titles for the Wii? Remember how people should buy the Gamecube for Mario 128 for that matter?

The only games publisher in the world to consistently meet all their intended launch dates is EA Sports. Games are complex beasts, they slip all the time, there's no point trying to pin all the blame on Sony, especially when most of the big PS3 games we're waiting for are third party.

Sony can't win, they show stuff and they're 'just drumming up hype', they don't show stuff and the 'have nothing'... They, right now, are doing nothing different to MS were doing around the 360s launch. Nothing at all. Back then Microsoft were promising the world with videos of Gears of War etc, but the game didn't come for another year. Right now Nintendo are bringing out videos of their big franchises but their dates keep slipping back too. Sony are doing no different.

Advertisement