Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rosslare station to close

Options
  • 03-03-2007 1:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭

Heard this from a good source - apparently the plan is to move the synoptic station to Johnstown Castle.
    Also Kilkenny to move to Oak Park.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

How far away are the new stations going to be located from the old? Did you get a reason for the move?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

Johnstown castle is about 8 km away. Rosslare station is on a cliff, right on the sea shore, and I think they want it more than 2km away from the sea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Is'nt that like moving a wind station from a mountain top to swamp? :eek: I would have thought the point of a station right on the SE corner was to get readings for that type of location.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Yeah where is the logic in that.I thought at first it be unmaned but the station is best located where it is/was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

I got wind (pun not intended!) of a numbers of station (ie more than just Rosslare and Kilkenny) closures more than a year ago from an inside Met Eireann source.

I didn't get much info then, but I think it's likely at at least an automatic station will be maintained at Rosslare. I don't know about Kilkenny. IIRC, this site is starting to be compromised by development.

Climatically, Rosslare and Johnstown Castle are very different, but Johnstown Castle is more representative of southern Wexford.

I'll see if I can get news to back up what I've just typed

• Advertisement

Mothman wrote:
    . I don't know about Kilkenny. IIRC, this site is starting to be compromised by development.

That is what i heard too. Incidently , what is currently in Johnstown Castle is being moved from its current location to another part of the estate-

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

jd wrote:
    Johnstown castle is about 8 km away. Rosslare station is on a cliff, right on the sea shore, and I think they want it more than 2km away from the sea.

It's more like 20-25km.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Johnstown Castle is 5 km south-west of Wexford so it not far from the coast.

Mike.

sorry, meant 8 miles ...

http://jan.ucc.nau.edu/~cvm/latlongdist.html

Distance between 52 15' 0"N 6 20' 5"W and 52 18' 0"N 6 31' 0"W is
    13.5851 km

Ok lads you lost me here,where exactly is the new location in terms of distance from the original site.

• Advertisement

newmetstation.jpg

about 13.5 km

Cheers jd,any reason behind all of this?.This could be eliminated from a coastal station according to the map ie: not as accurate for wind measurment as been where the station was/is on the coast/headland
    Strange one imo.

Advertisement