Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Setting up a clothes shop?

• 03-03-2007 3:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭

I would be interested in seting up a shop but would need a partner with experience in the industry? Mens or ladies

Also who are the main distributors for branded clothing in ireland. Say who distributes the strong mens clothing brands. Hugo Boss, Baumler, Tommy etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I would advise you to seriously consider working in the industry first before you set up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 captainmango

narommy wrote:
    I would be interested in seting up a shop but would need a partner with experience in the industry? Mens or ladies

Also who are the main distributors for branded clothing in ireland. Say who distributes the strong mens clothing brands. Hugo Boss, Baumler, Tommy etc

You can find out all that kinda info on the web. Or just ask shop owners where they buy their stuff.

If you dont have any experience with the clothing industry I would stronly recommend to work a couple of months in such a shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

I would imagine the industry in Ireland is very akin to a cartel. Certainly when there was a Hugo Boss franchise going out in Dundrum, Louis Copeland got it. Louis has sold plenty of Boss in the airport for a while now, so if there's a shop going, he'll take it on.

I reckon you'd have a hard time getting in. Having said that, town is crying out for a place like Aspecto of South-Anne Street. Footwear downstairs; adidas, Puma, Paul Smith, Journey, Evisu, Y3 etc. Clothing upstairs; Stone Island, adidas, Evisu, Duffer, Paul Smith, and Carhartt for the masses. Seems too good to be true, but it really was there. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

It's nothing like a cartel. However, someone with a long trading record would be more likely to be successful in getting any available franchises.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭deedee lepoopoo

It is almost impossible for ESTABLISHED retailers to get into prestigious Shopping Centres - they have to give huge marketing presentations and financial reports etcetc. So it is impossible for a beginner to get onto the established retail streets and centres - let alone afford the rent, key money and overheads.

I would look at secondary locations and choose 'destination' type merchandise i.e. you are not depending on passing trade. also the landlords for these premises wouldn't be so picky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭narommy

whiskeyman wrote:
    I would advise you to seriously consider working in the industry first before you set up.

My first sentence acknowledged a lack of experience and that is why I said I wanted a partner with experience in the industry

I have retail experience and am building on my expeience of pitching for units in shopping centres and have a few contacts but not in the fashion end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭narommy

It is almost impossible for ESTABLISHED retailers to get into prestigious Shopping Centres - they have to give huge marketing presentations and financial reports etcetc. So it is impossible for a beginner to get onto the established retail streets and centres - let alone afford the rent, key money and overheads..

I believe that within a say 3-4 years it may be easier to get into the larger shopping centres but would need to have at least one unit open before pitching to those centres.

I would look at secondary locations and choose 'destination' type merchandise i.e. you are not depending on passing trade. also the landlords for these premises wouldn't be so picky.

Like Naas fashion retial has pitched itself with a high end boutique retail offering that offers a strong variety.

I agrre with comments entirely. Only problem with a destination type offering is that it requires something special or unique and more PR and Marketing

Advertisement