Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How much money does the Toll Bridge Make?

Options
  • 03-03-2007 11:20am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Every time I go through the M50 toll bridge I cannot think about what an incredible amount of money they must pull in on a daily basis. I heard 100,000 cars go through there every day, is this true?

Can anyone give a good guess with taking into account higher charges for trucks etc, how much they actually bring in on an average day/week/month? The next question is; what happened with this money? Does it go towards the upkeep of the M50 or the new extention & Development, or is there a handfull or investors that are making more money than they would possibly know what do do with?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

IIRC it generates about 70K per day most of which goes into the investors pockets.
    However, its not all profit - NTR did pay for the second bridge and also have to pay their overheads.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

It makes more then the 5 richest kings in Europe combined.

The money goes directly in coin form to a big mc scrooge style money bin under the GPO. Stake holders and TDs gather there the first sunday of every month to swim in it and smoke cigars.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭slick

It sickens me when i go through the toll as this toll was initially designed to pay for the road in the first place.I think it's safe to say it's well paid for now!However i don't see opposition party leaders promising to get rid of it even if they got in in the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

I'll be voting against FF in the upcoming election, it also sickens me everytime I have to fork out on a motorway already paid for by taxpayers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

DonJose wrote:
    I'll be voting against FF in the upcoming election, it also sickens me everytime I have to fork out on a motorway already paid for by taxpayers.
    I think the question you need to ask yourself is - "would the other parties have built the road if they had been in power?"

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

the tolls are a disgrace once the cost of buiding them has been recouped the tolls should be reduced to just cover the cost of maintence and the like.think everyone would be happy with this.we pay enough in taxes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

I nearly hit a pothole on the M50 today coming up to the N4. And then drove myself through the toll bridge for the first time ever. Doesn't seem really worth it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Kadeshh

kbannon wrote:
    IIRC it generates about 70K per day most of which goes into the investors pockets.
    However, its not all profit - NTR did pay for the second bridge and also have to pay their overheads.

that all?

100,000 vechiles a day, not all cars, at at least 1.90 a head say average of 2.50 with bigger vechiles averaged in, thats around quarter of a million.

operating costs per day are tiny compared to that, minimal staff, insurance and power cost...

it must make over 235k paer day before govt dips its hand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 riskky

kbannon wrote:

The state rakes in about 50% of gross toll revenues collected on the west link. See link for details if you are interested enough and have the time.http://www.ntr.ie/downloads/presentations/Economic-Issues-Related-to-Toll-Rates-on-the-West-Link.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

ronoc wrote:
    The money goes directly in coin form to a big mc scrooge style money bin under the GPO. Stake holders and TDs gather there the first sunday of every month to swim in it and smoke cigars.

:D:D:D

Advertisement