Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geothermal Heating

Options
  • 03-03-2007 12:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi Everyone,

Im a new user but have been reading these threads for a while. I am building a 1600 sq ft house and have gone with geothermal heating. The heatpump is a heliotherm Heatpump (Should be installed within the next two weeks) supplied by a company called climate control. I have found them to be very professional and helpful.
    My question is has anybody had this installed and if so how are you finding it?? With regards to electricity consumption and overall effectivness. It will also be supplying my hot water.

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭barry75

Hi Patrick,
    I am also going the same route as yourself with climate control,Going for the heilotherm geo pump and the underfloor heating.Hope to get it installed next week or so as well.Brian had showed me around a house where he installed the system in castlebar,Found the guy very helpful.I would be also interested in hearing from people who has installed this system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Patrick07

Hi barry,

What kind of a screed did you use?? I went with a concrete screed with 10mm stone chips in it. Are you using this for your hot water system also? and have you any backup put in?

thanks.

Hi Patrick
    Ya i am also going to be using this for hot water,havent got the ufh pipes put down yet,just about to tackle the floor insulation in the next day or so.Putting down 50 mm xtratherm.Brian told me about the screed with the 10 mm stone chip alright.As i was going with a liquid screed for the upstairs due to the weight of the screed,He said that this liquid screed dosnt hold on to the heat too well,as it heats up too quickly and cools down quick.Did you do the screeding yourself ?I have no back up system in place,except only an open fire in the living room!

I have the screed put in and also put it upstairs. It took the weight no problem although most of my rooms not too big so had good support from the walls below. I got a guy from mayo actually to pump it in. he did a very good job and had good guys working with him to set the levels. If you like i can give you his number??
    also have only an open fire in living room.
    Lets hope it works out ok!!

That would be great if you could pass on this number,where abouts in Mayo is he?

• Advertisement

The name of the company is Abrodella and he is based in shrule. His name is Pete Reilly.His mobile number is 0872414012.
    I found them very good and absolutley no problems at all.

i have heard of these guys not too far away from where i live,Thanks for that Patrick.What height of a screed did ya go with upstairs?I have to keep it to around 45 mm,due to the height of door frames as it wasnt factored in.The timber frame company didnt realise i was installing ufh upstairs

I went with about 50mm upstairs and like you the doorframes were a problem for me also. blocklayer did not allow enough for the final floor level. but anyways at least its not too low as to cause major problems.

Just talking to Pete there,he was saying a min of 75 mm screed as brian was saying that the insulation and pipes are 25mm this would be 100mm total.50mm would be a lot better giving a total of 75 mm.U had no problems with the 50mm?

Had no problems. it did not crack or anything like that. For downstairs i had 75mm alright. The better the covering really the more heat can be stored. Would 50mm cause much problems for your door frame heights??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

Patrick07 wrote:
    Hi Everyone,

My question is has anybody had this installed and if so how are you finding it?? With regards to electricity consumption and overall effectivness. It will also be supplying my hot water.

thanks.

Hi Guys, I have Geothermal installed for over a year now in a 3500sq foot house, providing UFH for both floors and DHW. Last years heating bill was just over the €900 mark. All in all, delighted with our decision to put it in. Highly recommend it to anyone building.

Best of luck with your installations,

Q?

I would say 50mm screed would work out fine with the door frame heights.Did they get your house done in one day.

900 euro seems good for the years heating bill Qwerty,Did you insulate to a high standard?I seem to have a good few rolls of fibreglass left over is it best to just put the extra up in the attic?Have 450mm up there already.

Hi barry,

Ya they finished it in one day although he had a couple of guys that were there until 8 o clock the following morning. They waited on to power float the floor. They stayed through the night (and it was not so warm) to keep working on it. But thats all part of the service.

Hi Qwerty,

Is your house timber framed or Cavity block? Good to hear your not regretting it and its working out well. what temperature does your water get up to by the way??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

Very interesting to hear from somone who has gone down this route - let us know how it all goes for you....

Patrick07 wrote:

Hi Qwerty,

Is your house timber framed or Cavity block? Good to hear your not regretting it and its working out well. what temperature does your water get up to by the way??

Our house is a Cavity Block with hollowcore build and well insulated. The hot water is maintained at around 50 degrees. More than hot enough for domestic use, you just won't need to mix it with 50% cold to get a usable temperature as you would with oil or pellet boilers.

Barry, if you have 450mm already in the attic, I'd say you are more than alright, but I suppose if the company you bought the fibreglass off won't take it back, you might as well roll it out, but wouldn't think it will make any difference.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

We went with CC and found Brian spot on, Barry u could actually have visited our house, Brian showed a couple of people around it while we were building,

We are very happy with the HP and have no issues with the heating what so ever, I did the UFH myself and put a screed upstairs on OSB between battens.

Good luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Qwerty - currently looking at providing for Geothermal - can you tell me the make/model/size of pump?

Reason I ask is that the ESB want to know input loading of the pump, for connection purposes.

TIA,

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Galwaytt - We got a standard 12kVA connectgon for ours, even though a friend of ours was told by the supplier to put in a 16kva connection.
    IT may depend on whether or not u are using electric showers or not but that is only my theory

yop - and qwerty - thanks for that info.

I have no elec showers or immersion, so am going with std 12Kva connection.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

galwaytt wrote:
    yop - and qwerty - thanks for that info.

I have no elec showers or immersion, so am going with std 12Kva connection.

We have no electric showers either, but your HWC will have an immersion, not that you will need it.:D

We applied for the enhanced supply (16KVA), but have never got it afaik.
    They say we don't need it as we are only 200m from a 3 phase line but our lights do dim for a split second when the Heatpump comes on... so I think we do need it.

ESB have put a voltage meter in our house for a few weeks, came and took it out and never got back to me.

BTW I found those figures you were looking for GalwayTT, when the heatpump comes on it draws 25amps, and then when running is drawing 14.1 amps, if thats of any help to you.

Thanks for that Qwerty - I'm 29m from the ESB pole.

Maybe my HWC will have one, but I wouldn't be one to connect it !! I've managed 9 years without one so far!

Ode To The Motorist

Hi guys,

Has anyone here looked into running a heatpump from a wind turbine?? How much power would you need and is it even fully possible. Also does anyone have any idea how much they cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Hi I have just come across this thread and I was wondering does anyone have a bad experience with this heating system, I am thinking of putting it into a new house that I will be building later on in the year, Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 feorais

Nice to see people becoming more adventurous!I built 7 years ago, a bungalow of 1800 sq. ft. I used the Roadstone Safewarm block externally, with underfloor heating on top of a 50 mm Polyurethane board. I insulated the external walls then with 12.5 plasterboard on 50 mm Polyurethane board, a Kingspan product. I put 10 inches of fibreglass in the attic.We use approx. 850 litres of kerosene a year, only two of us so we are selective where we heat and have programmable stats in each room. With our insulation we only need to run the heating about 3 hours a day in the colder days, and we tailor it to suit the weather and the temperature inside the house. Anyone not using underfloor heating is missing out, it is extremely comfortable and the house holds the heat far longer than one would expect. If we were going again, we would use even more insulation and triple glazing would be a must. Even with the special double glazed U Glass from Pilkingtons, you need to have heavy curtains closed over in the winter, cuts down on heat loss and makes the house cosier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Chimpster

Qwerty? wrote:
    The hot water is maintained at around 50 degrees. More than hot enough for domestic use, you just won't need to mix it with 50% cold to get a usable temperature as you would with oil or pellet boilers.

Hi Qwerty,

Surely your hot water even at 50 degrees is still being mixed? I thought UFH runs at around 35 degrees?

I have a Kedco Wood Pellet Boiler on 24x7 producing DHW and water for UFH @ 50 degrees and the water still has to be mixed at the manifolds.

I have to say I am delighted with the UFH, a nice even heat spread through out the house and my pellet use is absolutely minimal. I am burning nothing...

Sorry, thats for the HWC.
    The UFH runs at 20-35, depending on the outside temp.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭billy_beckham

Qwerty how have you your ufh set-up, ie how long per day is the water circulating through the floor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭anon1

Alot of the discussion on this forum about UFH has dealt with the euro cost of running installed UFH systems. However, an installer can make a bad job of installing the UFH system and the cost still be relatively low if the house happens to be insulated very well as adopters of UFH usually have.

Can we create a sticky where best practice methods of UFH are posted and debated? This would include reviews of the various heat pumps e.g. IVF, NIBE, Helio.

The wiring I've seen of the thermostats back to connect with the manifold actuators didn't using the neat wiring centres that are available. A grey area between electricians and UFH installers.

Do heatpumps really try to optimise the use of night rate electricity as some installers claim. I can't see how they can if thermostats are going to limit the air temperature increase in a room. Are any installers using intelligent thermostats or control systems that allow setback timing?

Beware of installer putting in a heatpump and not commissioning it straight away to be regulated by room thermostats and outside thermometers. You will have a huge first ESB bill.

If the upstairs of house are in effect similar to timberframe houses with quick heat up response times, why add the thermal mass of screed? Would it be better to let the UFH run at night when it is needed? You might have more control over temperature.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭anon1

Alot of the discussion on this forum about UFH has dealt with the euro cost of running installed UFH systems. However, an installer can make a bad job of installing the UFH system and the cost still be relatively low if the house happens to be insulated very well as adopters of UFH usually have.

Can we create a sticky where best practice methods of UFH are posted and debated? This would include reviews of the various heat pumps e.g. IVF, NIBE, Helio.

The wiring I've seen of the thermostats back to connect with the manifold actuators didn't using the neat wiring centres that are available. A grey area between electricians and UFH installers.

Do heatpumps really try to optimise the use of night rate electricity as some installers claim. I can't see how they can if thermostats are going to limit the air temperature increase in a room. Are any installers using intelligent thermostats or control systems that allow setback timing?

Beware of installer putting in a heatpump and not commissioning it straight away to be regulated by room thermostats and outside thermometers. You will have a huge first ESB bill.

If the upstairs of house are in effect similar to timberframe houses with quick heat up response times, why add the thermal mass of screed? Would it be better to let the UFH run at night when it is needed? You might have more control over temperature.

Advertisement