Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storms Approach

Options
  • 03-03-2007 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭

2 Storms are set to approach over the coming 3 days as the Atlantic dominates our weather. During Sunday a very deep Storm system will come close to Western Ireland, the exact positioning of the LP is not at this stage confirmed but there will be gusts in excess of 80mph along Western and Southern coasts late tomorrow..

Keep up to date with the latest on the LP
    http://meteocentre.com/analyse/map.php?hour=0&lang=en&map=AtlN

Then as we move towards Late Monday another swathe of potentially damaging winds will push across the country, Irish sea coasts look like they will be worst affected this time with a short spell of winds gusting to 70/75mph

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Just want to bump this, i think the lack of attention re this storm is abit risky, there is potential for extremely damaging winds in the west.

After today it really was the calm before the storm..

latest fax chart is rather concerning tbh

PPVE89.png

That core of winds on the south of the LP to transfer across the west towards afternoon.. gusts to 85/90mph more than possible.

Heres a auto updating stream of sat pics

http://wind.met.fu-berlin.de/cgi-bin/meteosat.cgi?speed=12&count=16&intervall=30&refresh=10&playmode=Endlos

Storm is currently undergoing rapid intensification and moving ENE ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Every other year , I'd be excited about a storm like this one.

This winter its just, dammnit not another bloody one!!
    Last one blew tiles off my roof and the one before then misaligned my sat dish.

Winter can bugger off now, had my full share of snow and windy storms, now can we have a bit of sun and thunderstorms please!!

Hope its not as bad as it currently looks, hopefully this thing tracks northwest and the east coast misses any easterly component to the winds.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

957 is very low alright compared to most storms we've seen recently-I guess it depends on this things EXACT track which as WC alluded is slightly indeterminable at the moment as 60 to 80 miles one way or the other could be the difference between Gale 8 or storm 11.

ah Goddamnit - am I gonna have to re adjust my Satellite dish again?
    :(

When is it due to hit? I.e will I have time in the morning to tighten up the bolts on the dish? Will it be too windy to get up on a laddder early am?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

A few of are going cod fishing nerar Ennereilly tomorrow evening. Should be fun :D

• Advertisement

jd wrote:
    A few of are going cod fishing nerar Ennereilly tomorrow evening. Should be fun :D

Hey jd, I've noticed that you post sometimes about sea conditions in the sea down south yet your profile says Dublin, what gives?

Are you a member of a crazy extreme sea adventure club at weekends?

Where do i sign up :p

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

Longfield wrote:

Where do i sign up :p

Follow my sig.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

jd wrote:
    Lets hope your not swimming with the cod off wickla tomorrow jd be rough out there mate in light of recent happenings

Quite vile here already.

So far 7.1mm rain with the wind gusting at ground level to 42mph from the south East.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

God dammit, I've re-erected the trampoline yesterday!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

15mm of rain so far gusting 47mph from the south-east

Pretty atrocious here too, wind really hammering the rain against the south facing windows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

How bad is this gonna get this afternoon in the West guys? Is it a tree felling level storm? I'm trying to decide whether to go ahead with a planned trip this afternoon.
    It doesn't look too bad here just now... windy and rainy yes but I wouldn't call it a storm. It was worse around 7- 9am.

Yes there is a brief lull now before the intense core of winds flirt with the western coast towards mid afternoon/ evening.

Westerly Gales will reach upto 80/85mph along the coast..

I can't make up your mind for you but its going to get much worse as the afternoon progresses;)

Although maybe the opposite in the east as winds veer SWest ;)

littlebug wrote:
    How bad is this gonna get this afternoon in the West guys? Is it a tree felling level storm? I'm trying to decide whether to go ahead with a planned trip this afternoon.
    It doesn't look too bad here just now... windy and rainy yes but I wouldn't call it a storm. It was worse around 7- 9am.
    The winds will pick up and become very strong and severe in gusts later on in the day,probably mid afternoon onwards.The winds will be stronger than this morning for sure where you are in the west.

Edit:Wc got there before me,he must have superior BB speed than me.:p

Heres a good indication of what things are like at present

http://meteocentre.com/analyse/map.php?hour=0&lang=en&map=AtlN&img=local%2Farchive%2Fatln

33mph highest so far with 8.9mm.
    Expecting much higher gusts later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Thanks.

I'm in Mayo, supposedly driving to Clare early this afternoon and coming back this evening, sometime between 6 and 8.

Decisions decisions! I'm leaning towards staying put. I'd go if it was just me but I don't want any trees falling on my kiddies!

Wind has died down here a bit.
    Now only gusting to 20 to 30mph and changing direction to South south west.

988.4mb falling fast.

Total rain so far 16.3mm

littlebug wrote:
    Decisions decisions! I'm leaning towards staying put. I'd go if it was just me but I don't want any trees falling on my kiddies!
    Tis why id stay put too.

Wind has veered SW and has increased a tad.Rain belting down again.

• Advertisement

Latest Sat Imagery shows the core of extreme winds on the storms southern flank will start affecting western areas imminently.

Sea Area Forecasts forecasting Hurricane Force 12 winds out to sea.

Where the southern flank comes onshore expect a sharp increase in winds to 80/90mph

eurvis_sat_200703041200.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

There was a gust of 80 mph here at 7 am this morning. That's the most intense winds i've experienced for quite some time. According to my barometer Pressure was down to 955 hecto pascals.

Winds have virtually went calm here, kind of eery..

Look west from now on for some extreme gusts ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I don't think the winds will intensify again in the West this afternoon. As it was stormy here already from 5am- 9am. Could it be over quicker than they were saying?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Winds have died down here now with a max gust of 47mph and 25.1mm of rain. Got some reasonable footage of waves craching into Bray harbour and the flooded seafront. Waves were so powerful that they were throwing rocks onto the harbour with them! Will probably have some kind of video in the next few days

I don't think the winds will intensify again in the West this afternoon. As it was stormy here already from 5am- 9am. Could it be over quicker than they were saying?

No your recordings are wrong,

I don't know your exact location but theres now way unless a tornado passed over you weather station that your pressure could of went into the 950's

The LP itself has a depth of 957mb..

The core of strongest winds is along its southern flank and will flirt with the wester sea board.

The strong winds this morning were in association with the Front pushing east winds gusted to at max 60/70mph

Through the afternoon in the west winds will gust to 80/90mph.. although things will turn windier again countrywide too

The we have tomorrows storm to deal with, a busy 48hours ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

I am not exaggerating, it has gone completely calm here in meath and brightening up nicely too.

No your recordings are wrong,

I don't know your exact location but theres now way unless a tornado passed over you weather station that your pressure could of went into the 950's

The LP itself has a depth of 957mb..

The core of strongest winds is along its southern flank and will flirt with the wester sea board.

The strong winds this morning were in association with the Front pushing east winds gusted to at max 60/70mph

Through the afternoon in the west winds will gust to 80/90mph.. although things will turn windier again countrywide too

The we have tomorrows storm to deal with, a busy 48hours ahead.
    Pressure decrease with height WC and if nacho is on a mountain side he could record a pressure like that.Pressure is measured at sea level,which could be 10mb in the difference at a certain height 500foot or so.
    Now unless he has read it right or wrong a barometer is a very accurate instrument.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

If i didn't know about the coming storm, looking out of the window here (Sligo) right now, I'd say it was going to be a decent-ish afternoon.

The really strong winds from this morning have subsided, it stopped raining about an hour ago and there is actualy a broad band of clear blue sky moving in from the south/ssw right now.

It's still a bit "windy" but that's nothing new round here ...especially not with the winter we've had so far.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sod all windy here today just lots of heavy rain which has now eased off and its brightening up a bit. Last night was v gusty apparently (I slept soundly).

Mike.

Advertisement