Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storms Approach

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

What a beauty of a storm system, an almost perfect structure

eurvis_sat_200703041400.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

So looking at that we've got 4 hours of sun - then bang!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Its a beauty alright also a big system.Look at the CBs on the north part of the centre wall.Seem to be intensifing along that part from your earlier snapshot WC

mike65 wrote:
    So looking at that we've got 4 hours of sun - then bang!

Mike.

Nah won't be that bad away from Western Coasts because the system has a very tight gradient but over a small area..

So Waterford have probably seen the worst.

This system is heading straight north now.. but the bottom section will push near the western coast with its core of severe winds.

Waterford could be storm bound tomorrow though, with southern counties looking like seeing the worst of the winds with the next storm.

But Mayo and the west will have a hairy few hours soon.

Cheers :(

Mike.

• Advertisement

Bellmullet beginning to see some more hefty wind speeds now

42 Gust 64

Thats Knots so gust to 70mph there at 2pm :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Yepp ...it's starting to happen here now as well.
    No way of measuring wind speeds, but telphone and electricity lines are starting to arc nicely between poles :D and when the gusts move in you can feel them coming in your eardrums.

Still dry and some specs of blue whizzing past.

Gust to 82mph in Bellmullet (132km/hr) at 3pm

Just a note wrt tomorrow,

It looks like a swathe of much more widespread severe winds than today will sweep across the country, today has been abit of a non event for the east and south due to the more than anticipated intensification of the LP, now estimated to be at around 952mb.

Tomorrow it would look likely that from around 4/5pm widespread gusts above 60mph inland are likely with some severe winds affecting southern and Irish sea coasts, some gusts to 80mph along eastern coasts likely.

Expecting a very active front to cross the country this evening..

Widespread gales, gusts to 60/70 even inland in association with the front.

Gusts around coast perhaps above 80mph in locations such as Rosslare, perhaps Cork and right up the eastern seaboard in association with the front.

Some isolated tornadoes possible with very very heavy rainfall..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Had heavy snowfall here for about an hour last night, 7-8pm. Blizzard conditions, was lovely.

No snowment though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

I don't think I've ever seen 100% coverage of rain (see attached):
    38724.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Drving rain here now,6.1mm already. Getting very gusty here. 2 min average up to 50km/hr, never seen it that high here. It's not looking good from a flooding point of view here with the ground already staurated from yesterday and more heavy rainfall forecast along with a spring tide at half past midnight and low pressure, the river will be in full flow by then:(

I don't think I've ever seen 100% coverage of rain (see attached):
    38724.JPG

Awesome picture, will upload one of my 'Moat' if I get a break in the rain.

trogdor wrote:
    Drving rain here now,6.1mm already. Getting very gusty here. 2 min average up to 50km/hr, never seen it that high here. It's not looking good from a flooding point of view here with the ground already staurated from yesterday and more heavy rainfall forecast along with a spring tide at half past midnight and low pressure, the river will be in full flow by then:(
    Howling down here too.
    Got a time there a few minutes ago when nearly every gust was above 40mph
    Just got a gust to 47mph as I type.

Not bad yet here around the sutton area atm.Was blowy at lunchtime and the rain has been patchy

Not bad here, Is it the Wicklow Mtn effect?

That will change.

I don't trust my rain collector in these conditions,it's not very accurate as its out in an open field and the rain is just blowing over the top of it at speed.

It's recorded 7.1mm so far anyway from whats dropped into it.

Not bad here, Is it the Wicklow Mtn effect?
    Well Dub airport and Casement are reporting gusts of 40 and 50 knotts respectively and both are inland and more in the shadow of the wicklow mts/Dublin hills with a southerly than ye are so I doubt it.

Veering SW slightly here now

Max average 35.7mph at 506pm

I'm wet.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

It is raining an absolute deluge down here in Kerry nearly all day since 10 am, with only a few short lulls. The wind is fairly strong too, but going onto the Inch road was a bit of eye opener. The windy must have gusted up to 70-80 miles an hour in the valley before coming onto the Inch road. Very dangerous driving condition.
    The water which was streaming down the road was being blown up and over to the other side of the road, and it was fair sight to see the water which was emptying from the storm drains, being back up the cliff face and over the road.
    Some very massive waves breaking as well, surfers paradise if you were mad enough (and didn't mind the cold..)
    Temp is currently hovering 10.6c and pressure is down to 979.94 mb

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Had a gust of 44mph here. Rain total up to 11.9mm now for today. 43.9mm in the last 72 hours. Really not looking good for things here later tonight:(

Hardly any rain here today (Dry right now) but wind is beginning to pick up now ;)

Just took a closer looks at Forecast..

Worst winds expected around 10pm tonight

Along South Coast, winds will sustained 50mph gusting 80mph with 925hpa winds suggesting potential for gusts to 140km/hr ( near 90mph) around the most exposed coastal districts (Marathon Platform)

Up Irish east coast winds sustained near slightly above 40mph but with 925hpa winds suggesting reasonable chance of gusts to 125km/hr (70/75mph)

This is assocation with some very heavy rain will lead to extremely poor conditions.

trogdor wrote:
    Had a gust of 44mph here. Rain total up to 11.9mm now for today. 43.9mm in the last 72 hours. Really not looking good for things here later tonight:(
    What a diference im experiencing.31mph high gust with only 0.3mm of rain.Total of 23mm in 72 hrs.
    Looking at radar the whole of N Dublin is in the clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Petty windy here but suprised that the rain isnt heavier, would only classify it as light.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Total here now 9.7mm-the Davis says its not raining... but I can assure you it is.

Almost Constant gale here ie above 30mph mostly and thats at 5ft or so not 30ft! Gusting regularally above 40mph.

Rain is blowing over that rain guage like it is in a rush to get to belfast or something :D

It is raining an absolute deluge down here in Kerry nearly all day since 10 am, with only a few short lulls.

Just as bad up the road in Abbeyfeale, last 2 hrs have been tremendously heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Wind picked up again after a lull in the last hour, rain also moved up a notch, bordering on moderate intensity would guess now.

Artictree, is your raingauge working?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

51mph now and howling

not bad for the 5ft wind vain

Advertisement