Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storms Approach

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

recently 75mph at marathon gas platform, 60mph in casement and 83mph in wales:
    http://xcweather.co.uk/

The windy man is on the Davis for the last couple of hours...here he is (assuming it stays this windy)

Just got another gust to 51mph!

It is very very noisy.

index.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Wind on the increase but nothing too significant atm.Looking at the radar it should be lashing down but not a dribble.0.5mm

• Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Fecking wind is making my sat dish wobble, picture breaks up slightly in the biggest gusts every few mins..bugger!!

Rain lower moderate i'd guess.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Lights dimming here now

powercut possible :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

10 min mean 37mph
    Max gust 58mph.

Its windy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Well we must be extremely sheltered here in this are from this wind direction, is breezy alright but we wouldnt be getting anything above 35/40mph gust wise. Rain has increased in intensity but still only moderate/light rain.

Only thing thats bad here tonight is my internet connection.. as slow as ...

Yeah cant see any my wind records under threat(no pun inteneded:o )
    Again WC has jinked me with his predictions,first no snow now no wind:p

Snowbie wrote:
    Yeah cant see any my wind records under threat(no pun inteneded:o )
    Again WC has jinked me with his predictions,first no snow now no wind:p

Best bet is to move as far as possible away from me and the more exciting weather and snow you will get!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

Longfield wrote:
    Wind picked up again after a lull in the last hour, rain also moved up a notch, bordering on moderate intensity would guess now.

Artictree, is your raingauge working?

Always had problems with my rain guage. It seemed to only total the rain on a daily basis. I have reset it and it seems to be working now. The daily total of 11.68 seems to be accurate (comparing to Tristrame's).

Anyway - lashing rain here and very windy. I'm surprised my internet wireless dish can handle this!

BTW - was that snow I saw this morning on the very top of the wicklow hills??

A

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Well i definately seem to have a different climate down here gusting to 46mph which is similar to tristrame but rainfall over the last 7/8 hours is now at 24.1mm nowhere else seems to be very close to that figure at all and yesterday i had 25.1mm i don't think anywhere near here came close to that either. We don't usually get extremes here but maybe somethings changed now....GW's the cause no doubt:rolleyes::D

arctictree wrote:

A
    Yes it was;)

Squall line starting to develop behind the front exiting the east now, this is where the tornadic and sparkling activity may occur

http://www.met.ie/weathermaps/latest_radar.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

It has been raining here in Kerry today since about 7.00 am and there is alot of localised flooding, if it continues throughout the night there will be alot of flooding.

Major gusts too. Also last night there was a massive downpour of Hail at between 10 and 11, it really bucketed it down and I picked up one piece that was 1cm across. This has to be one of the main weather events of the winter. It is still raining now but without much of the intensity as earlier.

arctictree wrote:
    Always had problems with my rain guage. It seemed to only total the rain on a daily basis. I have reset it and it seems to be working now. The daily total of 11.68 seems to be accurate (comparing to Tristrame's).

Anyway - lashing rain here and very windy. I'm surprised my internet wireless dish can handle this!

A

Dunno, I saw some white patches on Djouce there this morning on the way to work and came to the conclusion that it was frozen water patches/puddles as the colour wasnt snow white and was patchy rather than in a altitude line.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Some serious gusty stuff down here between 8 and 9. Please let this be the worst of it.

Mike.

Tristrame wrote:
    Yep rainfal/snowfall is always heavier at height due to orographic lift.
    I seriously had the opposite effect with no rainfall or very little rainfall but yourself ,mothman and trogdor had heavier rain on the lee of the mountains.
    Why,leftover orographic lifting moisture descending from mountains.?Possibility.

It often continues to rain/snow on the hills west of here when it is dry here.

I think the rain totals in the past few days though had more to do with the path of the precipitation and the strength of the wind combined with it's direction and yes it getting stuck and rained out on the wicklow mts aswell.

Overall the two systems were underwhelming..

We can't even get a decent storm here!

Anyways onwards and upwards but unfortunately the outlook is that no warm up or settling down is going to occur in the next 10/15 days although some signs towards colder weather towards mid-month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Overall the two systems were underwhelming..

We can't even get a decent storm here!

Anyways onwards and upwards but unfortunately the outlook is that no warm up or settling down is going to occur in the next 10/15 days although some signs towards colder weather towards mid-month.

Want to house swap?

ch750536 wrote:
    Want to house swap?
    If he doesn't i will;) :D . I'd love to live on the west coast, cleaner air, country life:p and weather extremes:D . The west coast gets hit much worse with all the storms and convection, although maybe we have different opinions on the weather:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

trogdor wrote:
    If he doesn't i will;) :D . I'd love to live on the west coast, cleaner air, country life:p and weather extremes:D . The west coast gets hit much worse with all the storms and convection, although maybe we have different opinions on the weather:p
    Monday evening I went to get milk out of the car, when I closed my front door the rain had gone more than 12 feet into the house.
    Winter months I have a moat, not a driveway.
    Dont get me started on the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

Whats this : http://www.met.ie/forecasts/ -

"Thursday night will be very cold and windy with clear spells and showers. Some of the showers will be wintry, falling as hail, with sleet over high ground. It will continue very cold and windy on Friday with further heavy blustery showers, some falling as hail or sleet and turning to snow over high ground."

Could we see something here or is it just met covering their ass!!

Nothing special in the charts....

A

I've been monitoring the charts for the last few days on this.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/brack1.gif

You and I might see some snow/sleet showers, but am dubious if there will be anything lying below 500 metres, but ya never know!

Advertisement