Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas for UCD?

Options
  • 03-03-2007 4:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭

Was over on the Infrastructure board and noticed the new Ballsbridge Local Area Plan. Included is a proposal for a Luas line running from UCD to the city centre via Ballsbridge as part of an orbital route in Dublin from Sydney Parade to Tallaght via Dundrum. To me this makes absolute sense. While Belfield is well serviced by buses, they aren't as good, efficient or as environmentally friendly as the Luas. And in all the development plans for Metro/Luas in Dublin other 3rd Level Institutions are going to be serviced like DCU, the new DIT campus and IT Blanchardstown. If a small college like IT Blanch is going to get a Luas link surely the largest university in Ireland with 22,000(approx!) people travelling to it every day should be included.

See page 4 of 6 in Ballsbridge Local Area Plan (Movement)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭valor

how far away is this? 10 years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Byrno

No idea. I think it's just a proposal from Dublin City Council. By the looks of it it is part of a policy of DCC. Maybe they have a bit more sense than I thought! Here's the link to the website that it came from http://www.dublincity.ie/press_news/news/notice_of_proposed_draft_local_area_plan_for_ballsbridge.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭King.Penguin

UCD is already <20 mins walk from a luas and 20 mins walk from DART

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Byrno

UCD is already <20 mins walk from a luas and 20 mins walk from DART

And that's a fair distance (about 2km) as I'm sure anyone here who uses the DART to get to college will agree with. Also this proposed Luas would connect Belfield from Ballsbridge to Tallaght, not just the city centre. Couple that with the proposed Metro from Tallaght to Lucan and Blanchardstown and UCD would finally be linked to those catchment areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

ah its not that far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

I think it's more of an aspiration than a solid proposal. There's so many other areas in Dublin that would get a Luas before UCD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

Garret wrote:
    ah its not that far
    A quick gander at google maps does suggest the ucd is around 2km from the dart, depending on which part of ucd you talk about, but deffo the centre is.

Its also prob further that that from the Luas.

Having said that, there are a lot more places in dublin and the country in general which could benefit a lot more from a Luas than UCD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

themole wrote:
    A quick gander at google maps does suggest the ucd is around 2km from the dart, depending on which part of ucd you talk about, but deffo the centre is.

Its also prob further that that from the Luas.

Having said that, there are a lot more places in dublin and the country in general which could benefit a lot more from a Luas than UCD.

its a 20 minute walk or so to the N11 entrance, as long as its not raining its grand

and theres a bus thatl bring you from sydney parade into UCD

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Richview would be about 1.5km from Milltown station I would say ( If you go through the park between Clonskeagh Rd and Dundrum Rd.)

Tbh, I wouldnt really regard this as a priority. Getting the Metro going is more important really

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Peter B

When I was in UCD and the Luas was just getting built, apparently there was plans to have a line which leads into UCD but the plans were submitted too late.

Not sure if there is any fact in this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement