Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where to get distilled water

• 03-03-2007 9:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

Anyone know somewhere that sells distilled water by the gallon. Preferably in bray area

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

no , but why not just boil the water in your kettle!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Celticfire

C_Breeze wrote:
    no , but why not just boil the water in your kettle!?

That's not distilled water........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,883 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Mayshine wrote:
    Anyone know somewhere that sells distilled water by the gallon. Preferably in bray area

Any pharmacy should have it, but maybe not the big chains. I got a 5l plastic bottle (for my computer) the last time for about €4 or €5 iirc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

Halfrauds in Carrickmines (Unit 2, The Park,D18) should have it too, but I doubt it's by the gallon. Sounds like a pharmacy or medical suppliers might be a better option (http://www.irelands-directory.com/Wicklow/Bray/Health%20Care/HospitalEquipment&Supplies.html).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭maidhc

Use ordinary water.

Something else will kill your engine before the trace elements in tap water will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭sundodger5

Distilled water in your engine maybe, for your battery without a doubt, but a gallon of it??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

distilled water is better for car engines. put a drum by your drain pipe and eh presto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭maidhc

sundodger5 wrote:
    Distilled water in your engine maybe, for your battery without a doubt, but a gallon of it??

I have always used tap water in the batteries of the tractors. They all last as long as they should. The only ones that die prematurely without warning are those silly new sealed ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭kmb

water technolgy in cork or o connell bros batteries in cork do it.

Maybe they know a similar supplier in bray?

regds

kieran

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Any half decent motor factor should sell it by the litre or the 5 litre bottle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Mayshine

I'm only using it for a coolant flush. I'll give the local motor factors a call on monday. Thanks for your help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Distilled water is free, just get a plastic container put it out in the rain and wait for it to fill. Remember don't let it come in contact with metal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Celticfire wrote:
    That's not distilled water........
    Yes, it is .If you boil water and the let it cool, it is the same as distilled water. Have used it for years and no complaint whatsoever. If you are using as a coolant, ordinary tap water will do, unless you have to use a proprietory coolant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

legs11 wrote:
    distilled water is better for car engines. put a drum by your drain pipe and eh presto.
    When water comes in contact with metal like drain pipes its not distilled anymore. Collect it in a plastic container.

Ok no rain tonight, so there goes that one,

as regards the boiling water, you need to condense it back to liquid to call it distilled

You cannot just boil water as the distilled water is the steam which escapes unless you can can capture it.

Cheers

A lot of bull in this thread
    Mayshine wrote:
    I'll give the local motor factors a call on monday

Don't forget the pharmacies. There might be one nearer to you than a motor factors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

most drain pipes are plastic nowadays, well hours anyway.

Dear oh dear :rolleyes:

Rain water is NOT distilled water. Distilled water is pure water as per the chemical symbol: H20

As the OP said, condense steam from a boiling kettle back into fluid and you shall have distilled water. Or just buy it from your local pharmacy or motor factors for peanuts

It must late, because I was looking at those rain suggestions going, that cannot be right, I mean rain is usually contaminated with plenty of industrial pollutants by the time it hots the ground yet nearly considered it to be true.

Doh!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

unkel wrote:
    Dear oh dear :rolleyes:

Rain water is NOT distilled water. Distilled water is pure water as per the chemical symbol: H20

As the OP said, condense steam from a boiling kettle back into fluid and you shall have distilled water. Or just buy it from your local pharmacy or motor factors for peanuts

What about De-Ionised water ? That is just Pure H20 is that not the same as Distilled water ??

Hj

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭McSandwich

HungryJoey wrote:
    What about De-Ionised water ? That is just Pure H20 is that not the same as Distilled water ??

Hj

DI water doesn't conduct electricity (it has a very has high resisivity), making it suitable for use where high voltages are involved (or cleaning - as it does not contain salts which leave residue after evapuration). DI is achieved by removing 100% of disolved salts but not necessarily bacteria, viruses, or other organic impurities. Distilling water also purifies but as temperature varies with with pressure (effectivley resulting in the water to boiling > 100c - allowing it to dissolve salts) it is still possible for distilled water to contain impurities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Mayshine wrote:
    I'm only using it for a coolant flush. I'll give the local motor factors a call on monday. Thanks for your help
    Then why not just use tap water - there is no need for distilled water in a coolant system. Flushing is essentially like rinsing. Only a car battery requires distilled water. Anything else is OTT, imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Theres actually a wiki on it
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distilled_water

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

A bit of free advice, when filling or topping up batteries or coolant systems in cars etc only use distilled water. Tap water and rain water will lead to premature corrosion and/or a build up of unwanted solids.

hence the reason I want distilled water for my final couple of flushes, the old coolant looked ok, not perfectly clear but not too bad, there will always be a little water in the system after flushing, so that the reason for using distilled on the final couple of flushes.

To the people who say there is no need for distilled water, I say if you are going to do a job you might as well do it right, for the small additional cost, I feel that it is more than worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Anyone working in a main dealer like to comment on the use of tap water v distilled water in cooling systems?
    I am in the middle of replacing my water pump & thermostat in a BMW sealed system. They are impossible to bleed properly without a lot of water.
    I would be interested to see if dealers go for the distilled water approach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

I can get it for you.
    I'm using bunsen burners, plastic pipes, holy water and buddhist monks trained in the art of levitation. It'll cost 1,450 euro a litre. How many gallons would you like? I'm using an old poteen still, you can have that extra kick for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 tonyfelloni

Your all stone MAD!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 falinx

for anyone that comes across this in a google search for distilled water and ireland on google, please let me warn you that since roughly '98 the water from rain contains heavy metals so do not use it for drinking. It should be okay for placing into batteries but it certainly can in no way be classified as distilled water and certainly must not be ingested by humans. I read on the net of a much better way to get distilled water if you require it, get a pot and put it on the stove with tap water in it and start heating it. In the middle of the pot place a heavy dish that won't float (remember the water must obviously not fall into it directly from the sides). Then place the lid upside down on the pot and the handle will become roughly the "drip" point for the boiling water. Preferably you also want to put ice on top of the upside down surface causing the condensation and drip affect much quicker. Again, I can't stress this enough, rain water hasn't been distilled water for some time now so don't treat it as such.

Peace dudes :)

• Advertisement

falinx wrote: »
    Again, I can't stress this enough, rain water hasn't been distilled water for some time now

Indeed. Back in the day, a chap would call out to the house to make sure your rain water was indeed distilled water. Used to cost tuppence + VAT.

IBTL :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement