Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Um, Advice...

Options
  • 03-03-2007 9:27pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I'll try and keep this short.

A friend of mine recently got a second hand 06 car from a main dealer. Anyway, they were out driving the other day when someone behind started flashing, so after much of that she stopped and pulled over. The person in the other car told her that car used to belong to her and she had brought it back to the garage 8 (eight) times in the time she owned it. She claims to have an AA report with the details of the problems, mobile numbers were exchanged so hopefully we'll get to see the report. I'm guessing it's one of those vehicle inspection things, doubtful she got it done for the laugh... I guess if it's bad we'll have to get rid of the car...:confused: There is a bit of a rattle in it at the moment, probably something loose under the dash.

We don't know this woman at all, for all we know she could be a motoring hypochondriac, said she was with this brand all her life but never again. She happens to live just down the road, pure luck she spotted my friend.

Is it worth speaking to the Consumer Affairs people or the AA for advice? Comments would be appreciated.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Doubt she did it just for fun. Sounds like she was concerned that someone else was lumbered with the lemon she got rid of and thought was consigned to the scrapyard.

Is this a French or Italian car?, vary curious (going with Renault or Fiat theory).

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Longfield wrote:
    Is this a French or Italian car?, vary curious (going with Renault or Fiat theory).
    Wow, you read my mind :D

Longfield wrote:

It may come as a shock to you, but pretty much every car can break down!

ronoc wrote:
    It may come as a shock to you, but pretty much every car can break down!

Lol, It may come as a shock to you but..I'll leave that to the OP to fill in heheh

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

It's of the Italian variety...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

D'OH!!!!!!!:D :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Those Ferrari's are nothing but trouble ;)

Ronoc..as much as i'd like to be dignified and restrained..your sig
    Protip: Impress everyone with your vast motoring knowledge by posting in every fiat/alpha thread saying how unreliable they are
    Has put me over the edge here - Mwahahaha!!

Those Damn Maseratis why do people buy them if they break down so often

• Registered Users Posts: 65,393 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

ronoc wrote:
    every fiat/alpha thread

You might want to spell-check your sig there, ronoc ;)

• Advertisement

unkel wrote:
    You might want to spell-check your sig there, ronoc ;)
    :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Apparently the door once opened on a roundabout, problems with the electrics (surprise surprise), and it leaked 14 litres of oil (something like that) and the front grill fell off twice.

Some info from the AA report (Oct 06):

Paintwork repairs are to be seen at the roof, left wing, and the left front door. The presence of repairs was confirmed with a paint thickness gauge; and by visible inspection; where defects such as the presence of dirt nibs were noted. An orange peel text is to be seen at the windscreen aperature at the front of the roof panel.

The underbody structure is in sound condition.
    The check strap on the front right door is loose.
    Rattle from the right front dash area.
    The window winder handle was not fitted to the left rear door.
    Sand particles are to be seen on the fuse board.
    The cover is not fitted over the positive terminal connection of the battery

Most of the sections say 'no defects are apparent'.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The underbody structure is in sound condition.
    The check strap on the front right door is loose.
    Rattle from the right front dash area.
    The window winder handle was not fitted to the left rear door.
    Sand particles are to be seen on the fuse board.
    The cover is not fitted over the positive terminal connection of the battery[/I].

To my untrained eye that list would suggest crash damage, no?

Sand in the fusebox? Maybe the woman (or someone else, her son/daughter?) was messing with it on a beachand buried it into a sand dune?

I'm going to guess the window winder missing was someting to do with the owner as if I bought a new car and it was missing I'd notice it fairly sharpish.

She was adamant the sand wasn't to do with her...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭johncm

looking at the post about the report it has all the signs of a crash. Ask the woman did she crash it and does she live by a beach. I ask this because i once left the window of my car down for a few hours when at the beach and sand got in everywhere!
    I think she might be over exaggerating with the oil. 14 liters is 4 times the oil thats in the car!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Theres a chance though that a crash that may or may not have involved a sand dune and possiblely rocks could have torn a small hole in the sump or maybe damaged an oil line somewhere that was'nt apparent and some eejit just kept filling up the oil.

Advertisement