Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dont forget lunar eclipse tonight

• 03-03-2007 9:48pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Hey dont forget the moon will be hidden in the earths shadow tonight.
    This is what it looked like from China a few hours ago. The moon is in the centre of the image.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Cool. See attached for mine, I missed it. :) *wanders off to the Photography forum*

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,654 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

this is so spooky! I was just about to post the same thing with the EXACT same thread name!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

actually the moon should be turning a nice reddish colour fairly soon. A half hour or 35 mins should have it at its peak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Over half of it is gone now. Bah my camera sucks. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

sad fecker that i am im videoing it at the moment. well in segements so it flows better. ive always love astronomy but feel really sorry for astronomy ireland, everytime something cool happens they tell us to go out and have a look and invariably it clouds over at the last minute :D

they always build it up nicely as well " best meteor storm in a century!!", and nothing but clouds! still at least its a great night tonight :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Trizo

pic so far .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

just out in the back garden there now looking at it and noticed something odd....well maybe it's not that odd or maybe there's a reason for it but the time of the solar eclipse in 2000 (?) the sun was in the exact same place in the sky as where the moon is tonight (I know because I was looking at it from the same spot in the garden)
    Probably one for the astronomy forum...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Should be turning red at about 22.45. Exciting!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

just looked at it through some binoculars its amazing, the shadow makes it really stand out as a aphere rather then just a disc

really does look like mars what with the top part still being a little white. some amateur SF movie guys should be getting footage of this if they wanna do a cheap sci/fi film :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Merrick

I was looking at it with binoculars too, it's fantastic. Multi-coloured shadows!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

3aa52041de.jpg

I'm sure the lads over in the photography forum will have some better shots up later.

thats a gorgeous pic ! it moving out of the earths shadow now though so looks like the best is over. have to admit that it seemed alot darker than the last lunar eclipse we had (or at least we could see :D ). distinctly remember that one being near blood red and very bright. this one seems alot duller.

still its a spectacular sight, glad i stayed up to see it. got a kick seeing the three stars appear that were too close to the moon and were blocked out by its glare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,412 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

was great weather to watch the eclipse
    moon.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

Zillah wrote:
    3aa52041de.jpg

I'm sure the lads over in the photography forum will have some better shots up later.

Really good quality, what did you take that with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

It was pretty impressive alright, I had forgotten about it until it was mentioned on Sky News.. I missed the last one which was a good while back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Gazza22 wrote:
    Really good quality, what did you take that with?

My D70s body with my Dad's old 200mm lens. My own longest lens is only 100mm so I had to improvise. I was balancing my camera on a disintegrating tripod on the peaked roof of our extension :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

It was..... underwhelming tbh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Twas a passionate Moon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

Yea, it was pretty interesting alright. Glad I was reminded a couple of hours beforehand

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

The moon seemed to have shrank to penny size during the height of it from where I was, which pretty much put a downer on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

The size of the moon doesn't actually change in the sky, it's just your mind playing games with you, a sort of optical illusion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭meowCat

I watched it all from my balcony. I thought it was very eery. You could just see how it would have scared ppl in the middle age or before ... it was very firery/copper red here....like a devil's eye.
    It's just a pity that you need a really good equipment to take clear pictures of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

InFront wrote:
    The size of the moon doesn't actually change in the sky, it's just your mind playing games with you, a sort of optical illusion.

Jaysus I know that :D

Mind you I did wonder if anyone would take it incorrectly. I know FA about astronomy, but Id have put the shrinkage down to the moon moving further away from the earth over the course of the night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

Zillah wrote:
    My D70s body with my Dad's old 200mm lens. My own longest lens is only 100mm so I had to improvise. I was balancing my camera on a disintegrating tripod on the peaked roof of our extension :)

Good results with that combination!

Advertisement