Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frost nova nerf

Options
  • 03-03-2007 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭

Caveat before i begin. My current main is a mage. My old main was a priest. I have a 60 druid, a 56 rogue and a 55 warrior. The following tears are not based on one class only.

Frost nova will be nerfed in an upcoming patch. According to Tseric:

The change affects Frost Nova. Frozen targets were never intended to be frozen after a critical. However, the usage of Ice Lance made it very noticable that being frozen was persisting through being crit, whereas normal damage had a chance to break the state. By insuring that a crit will break the frozen state, back to back crits from Ice Lance won't be occurring and such spikes in damage disappear.

I don't see how it makes Shatter useless, as you are still gaining higher chance of a crit, you just can't two-shot somebody with a zero second cooldown attack.

The mind boggles.
    Firstly, apart from a CM not knowing that what damage ice lance does (2x2k crits is not a 2 shot) or that it has a 1.5 sec cd, how could they POSSIBLY take 2 years to notice that fn wasnt breaking on crits?

Clearly they have noticed that 3 frost mages spamming icelance on a frozen target in arenas is a blatantly overpowered and have taken completely the wrong option in response.

Rather than nerfing icelance, the new spell thats only been in the game a month and hasnt been balanced, they have chosen to nerf nova which has been balanced over 2 years, already breaks on damage, is on a 26 cd and suffers diminishing returns.

This change not only renders a large part of the frost tree useless and will probably result in biblical flood of mage tears but has serious implications for mage soloing and instance/raid group play.

A crit will now break nova. Pet attack crit, rogue offhand crit, fireshield crit, molten armor crit. That little damage and the mob is out.

I hope the warriors are ready for this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭BKtje

Tseric has prooven time and again that he knows absolutely nothing.
    Regarding the nerf, if you had asked me 3 months ago if i thought it was necessary i would have said yes (when i hadn't played a mage much and my warrior was getting absolutely anihilated) but know that i have played a mage to 70 i think i may cry :(

Was reading for an ice lance nerf but a ova nerf is much worse :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

I cant understand why theyre not nerfing icelance.

Like, its a spell that can crit for 2k, costs no mana and is an instant cast with only the CGD as a cooldown.

Reduce it to double damage against frozen or give it a cooldown but for gods sake, this is like nerfing run speed because people are going too far while feared.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Very, very strange. I hate frost mages, but even I feel sorry for them now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

Why are they nerfing frost mages? I got hit for 7k earlier today with a pyroblast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Instant Karma

I had a 60 Frost Mage on Deathwing that I stopped playing last year, had thought about getting TBC and reactivating but now I'm not going to bother. I don't know what icelance is but I always thought that being able to shatter frozen targets was the main attraction of the frost tree and a core ability. Blizzard never were kind to mages, I always had to ditch stam gear and go for some +damage stuff and as a result was so easy to kill if melee got close it was basically over in seconds.

Too bad, I had myself all worked up to play again. Good job i checked the wow forums again and learned the mages life has got no easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Binomate wrote:
    Why are they nerfing frost mages? I got hit for 7k earlier today with a pyroblast.

Screens please.

If you did get hit for 7k, that mage has about 12 hp.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

I got crit for 4500 yesterday when i was dispelling corruption on a paladin who i was pvping with. Soem wiseguy just managed to unstable affliction as i dispelled and i got crit for 4.5k

4.5 K PEOPLE. buff everythign nerf warlocks. also this frost nova nerf is retarded.. should only break on one crit from a mage at worst, not from every class

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

UA makes me want to cry. It's just... pure death for me. Warlocks were always a tough class for us in PvP, but UA makes me just want to /cry if I'm dotted with it while my bubble is on cooldown :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

what a stupid nerf... poor mages.

and Drake, did a warlock eat your kitten or something?

DRakE wrote:
    I got crit for 4500 yesterday when i was dispelling corruption on a paladin who i was pvping with. Soem wiseguy just managed to unstable affliction as i dispelled and i got crit for 4.5k

4.5 K PEOPLE. buff everythign nerf warlocks. also this frost nova nerf is retarded.. should only break on one crit from a mage at worst, not from every class

http://www.nihilum.co.uk/image/946/

Dustaz, I didn't manage to get a screenie of it I'm afraid, but here's one of the few screenies I took of overpowered crits that I've got on me. Seeing your post Drake reminded me I had this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

unbelieveable. so ridiculous that a DOT can crit let alone do that much damage.

hate warlocks.

DRakE wrote:
    unbelieveable. so ridiculous that a DOT can crit let alone do that much damage.

hate warlocks.
    Exactly, and to think that they're nerfing VE so that it can't crit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

Hooray for Warlocks. Nothing like going up against 2 locks in the 2v2 arena, both with VW sac'd, 1 UA spec and 1 Demo.

Advertisement