Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History project (research topic).

Options
  • 03-03-2007 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭

Any of those who do History will know about the research topic we need to hand up at the end of 6th year. Now, I'm in fifth year but our teacher is having us do all of it this year. My problem is that I have no idea what to pick for my project.
    We need a very specific title to research, examples of what other people are doing are
    1."The printing and publishing of the Irish proclamation"
    2."The foundation and early developments of the Ku Klux Klan"
    Basically it needs to be specific, yet historically significant in some way.
    I'd like to do something mildly interesting, something more like eg.2 rather than eg.1 above.
    Thanks for reading this long post, and help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭lilmizzme

1st of all, have a look round some of the other threads, all we seem to talk about is history research projects...

best advice is go for something original...avoid 1916 like the plague!!!
    pic something that isnt too narrow, u need 2 be able to get some good sources!

ive heard rumors that the examiners like to see local histories, ahows that u wen tout looking at archives etc. but i dont know how true that is...

A freind of mine did History last year and got an A1..her topic was how the Stalinist state affected the work of some composer (cant think of the name) she was a music student too so it worked really well for her...

Put a bit of thugh of it, ur going to be spending a lot of time on it, make sure u wont b sick of it after a week!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

Cheers for that, I'm just completely stuck for any ideas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

Hows everyone getting on?

Anyone got a sample outline plan, dunno what to write.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭lilmizzme

Poblachtac, the topic is due the end of April!!!Mine is done and dusted, get ur skates on!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

Did my LC in 2004 before the old course came in but we still had to do the special topic...as lilmizzme said, avoid 1916 or anything that has been done ad nauseum or is a subject that people will have a lot of very strong opinions on.
    Did my topic on 'Bunreach na hEireann, the birth of a nation' or somesuch other waffly title...basically it was all about Dev's constitution and how it shaped and reflected some of the ideas of Ireland back when it was drawn up, given the social and political climate at the time. Someone else did theirs on the Battle of the Somme which is kinda interesting.

Anyways the constitution wasn't a bad one cos there's a fair bit of literature on it and check out that book that everyone's always raving about, it's called 'Ireland Since the Fammine' by Lyons. Did mine in the nick of time for the mocks and got an A1 in it (we had to write ours during the exam in those days) but get your skates on if you've a deadline cos the easiest way to get your grade up in history is to do a quality special topic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

lilmizzme wrote:
    1st of all, have a look round some of the other threads, all we seem to talk about is history research projects...

Yeeeahhh...cos that's all we discuss on here.

Mine was on the Famine, wrote it up there on Wednesday, yay no more history project!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Mine was on the Chernobyl Disaster.
    Just gotta finish up the Geography project now:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Mine is on the geisha of one of their districts in Kyoto. It can be anything!

Avoid Auschwitz, Collins, 1916 etc.

Decide if you want to do something Irish? Or European/American..Asian even? The scope is huge.

Projects in my class are Geisha, Le Mont St Michel, Malcolm X, Kevin Barry, Dachau, Famine, Mengele's experiments, Battle of Britain...Eva Peron (I think?)......etc

You just have to argue it's historically relevant, you could even say an aspect of culture is relevant!

Wrote up both it and the Geography project last week :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭boger

do something original, mines was on agnes jones, she was a nurse who is buried in my area. she was trained by florence nightengale and was regarded by florence as one of the best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

Mine, for some bizarre reason, is on the campaign to get women into Trinity College. Don't know why I chose it, being from Cork and all. Others in my class include the Lumiere Brothers, Rosa Luxembourg, the education philosophies of Patrick Pearse aswell as Albert Speer.
    I haven't finished writing mine out either....

• Advertisement
Advertisement