Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Joining the Reserves

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Bam Bam

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭babybundy

offically no;) sometimes you get someone who really knows wat they are doing and they eh SHARE the info they have :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 ksir

hey guys, just wondering, are they very strict on the BMI being between 20 and 25? I just done the medical and my BMI was 28

ya i no people who failed for being above and below

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Andrew this is only going to be solved if you show us a picture of you and your flowing locks so we can judge for you if it needs to be cut. This is what i look like:D

1-17.jpg

No long hair!!! :D:p:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 ksir

babybundy wrote:
    ya i no people who failed for being above and below

surely they have to have some degree of flexibilty because muscle is heavier then fat so if you were kind of well built then your BMI could well be over 25... Gettin kind of worried now.

theres muscle and there is fat which one;) :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

At its shortest:short.jpg

At its Longest: gael me.jpg

Pretty cool uniform i have to say

Shortest needs to go shorter man.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

feck. i'll see how i feel at the end of the summer i suppose

walk into your local barber and ask for a three all over. A few minutes later and the problem is solved.

And Steyr, you have a very purdy mouth :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

Steyr wrote:
    Andrew this is only going to be solved if you show us a picture of you and your flowing locks so we can judge for you if it needs to be cut. This is what i look like:D

1-17.jpg

No long hair!!! :D:p:D

Why are you wearing your head dress indoors?

For the Photo dummy......:p

The photo is demonstrating your haircut. You have your head dress on. Do you see the problem? And don't call me dummy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Picture how much hair would be showing if the beret was on Andrew.

Steyr has his beret on and you can't see his hair. Pretty good demo to me.

• Advertisement

Hagar wrote:
    Picture how much hair would be showing if the beret was on Andrew.

Steyr has his beret on and you can't see his hair. Pretty good demo to me.

Thank you Hagar, Testicle learn from the above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Andrew,
    i dunno if cutting your hair is mandatory or not but if you cut it would'nt you not fit in better with the uniformity or the army.Sure isnt that why they have matching uniforms and the like so everyone is the same .

Out of Interest what would the most common haircut you would see serving members of the P.D.F with ?Is there a standard haircut length that they are recommended to have?

Steyr wrote:
    Thank you Hagar, Testicle learn from the above.

I will Sir.

So Andrew did you get the hair cut yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Hard Larry

Remmy wrote:
    Andrew,
    i dunno if cutting your hair is mandatory or not but if you cut it would'nt you not fit in better with the uniformity or the army.Sure isnt that why they have matching uniforms and the like so everyone is the same .

Out of Interest what would the most common haircut you would see serving members of the P.D.F with ?Is there a standard haircut length that they are recommended to have?

Balding :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

ha ,good one lard:D :D

Steyr wrote:
    So Andrew did you get the hair cut yet?

not quite yet........

andrew wrote:
    not quite yet........

Come on Andrew! Hurry up and wait!!!!!:D :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Steyr wrote:
    Hurry up and wait!!!!!:D :D:D
    Nothing has changed in the last 30 odd years so.:D

Hell no!:p

ah there has been some change its now hurry up and fill out this (paperwork) and wait

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Covenline

I think Andrew had some very good points in this thread.

The reserves are a part time outfit so he shouldent have to cut his hair.

If The army dont like that then its their loss.

And just because you have long hair doesnt mean your a pacifist. Che Guevera had long hair and he kicked ass.

Actually he was a pawn of the Soviets.

And the army is about following orders, even in the reserve.

Short hair for males is a requirement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Bam Bam wrote:
    Actually he was a pawn of the Soviets.

And the army is about following orders, even in the reserve.

LOL. What's the difference? Soldiers are perfect examples of other people's pawns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Hi guys,

just wanted to say that if you can get into the RDF, do it, cut your hair or whatever it takes. I am originally from Germany and 30 years old. I applied last year and all would have been well but for my eyesight (shortsighted) and some hearing problems.

Believe me, not getting into uniformed service as a 30 years old German national is....embarrassing :(

Perhaps I have some strong feelings about this as I wanted to give something back in my free time her einIreland and I'd love the idea to follow in some of my family members footsteps (German Army and Police).

It's a pity they don't allow to sign a waiver or something that says you are aware of your eyesight and/or hearing and that it was there way before you joined. Also, some sort of restrictive service would have been great (barracks duty, guard duty, administration, etc...) but unfortunately that is not an option either.

So, I guess what I am saying is, if it is only your hair that you are worried about I would happily trade places and cut it all off if it means getting into the RDF. ;)

Sorry for the rant, guys, but you can see there's a lot of disappointment because I didn't make it.

Best,
    Preusse

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭strangeloop

Preusse, no need to be sad, you are missing nothing. i can safely say I never met such a bunch of muppets in all my life - shame it took 5 years to realise it. hello there to all in b company 7th btn:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭singloud

cushtac wrote:
    It sounds like he wants to have his cake & eat it too. He says he wants to join, but does not want to abide by the rules.

I apologise for not being specific & correct myself by saying long hair is not tolerated for males. I'm not a historian or an anthropologist, I can't tell you why it is not acceptable for a male soldier to have long hair but that's the way it is. Like it or lump it.

It seems the reasons have already been stated. It's always been traditional for standing armies to be clean shaven and short haired, in ancient times it was to distinguish between the Roman and Greeks and barbarians who had long hair and beards.
    Nowadays it's probably down to hygiene. Men nearly always have short hair, its cleaner, easier, stops lice etc and also makes you look more intimidating as it highlights the jaw and teeth, which has some effect :D

I intend joining the reserves and was wondering if anyone has any experience and can tell me what it's like? I know most armies require you to shave your beard unless you have religious reasons etc and was wondering if this applies to goatees?Probably does but I want to clarify.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

singloud wrote:
    I know most armies require you to shave your beard unless you have religious reasons etc and was wondering if this applies to goatees?Probably does but I want to clarify.

Just keep it neat and you won't need to get rid of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Hogmeister B

singloud wrote:
    It seems the reasons have already been stated. It's always been traditional for standing armies to be clean shaven and short haired, in ancient times it was to distinguish between the Roman and Greeks and barbarians who had long hair and beards.
    Actually the Greeks tended to have really long hair. The Spartans would comb it lovingly before battles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭singloud

Yeah your right. Why did I put Greeks for long hair :confused: though alexander the great wanted them to be clean shaven so the beards couldn't be grabbed. anyhows, the romans forbade hair and beards to distinguish from barbarians etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

Just keep it neat and you won't need to get rid of it

sounds deeply dodgy.

surely one of the reasons modern armies require a lack of beards is that they can prevent a good seal around a resperator, as well as the uniformity, hygeine and self discipline that being clean shaven bring.

oddly enough beards are now a 'required' item amongst British troops in Afghanistan, apparently local customs dictate that to be clean shaven indicates immaturity, lack of authority and status, and a willingness to have a bearded one run a length up ones chocolate highway...

though apparantly attempts at keeping a full set of mutton chops and 'tache ala Sergeant Major Bourne from the film 'Zulu' upon return have proved unsuccesful in the face of the Really Scary Man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 willypoo

Hello, i'm a 17 year old girl and im really interested in joining the reserves, how d o u go about this?is therea ny places in donegal?and do u have to like give up school or whatever, cos im serious about the old studying and i dont want it to get in the way of it!is there camps or anything during the summer?and do u have to be a certain height im only 5 3''!

willypoo wrote:
    Hello, i'm a 17 year old girl and im really interested in joining the reserves, how d o u go about this?is therea ny places in donegal?and do u have to like give up school or whatever, cos im serious about the old studying and i dont want it to get in the way of it!is there camps or anything during the summer?and do u have to be a certain height im only 5 3''!

Check www.military.ie and/or go to your local Barracks, Finner is probably your nearest. No you do not have to give up School, its a week night and weekend Service you will do, and there are "Camps" but the correct terminology is now "Paid Training Course" so im told no such thing as a Camp as its not the Scouts.

You may not get in this year as the minimum height for Males and Females is 5'4"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

Steyr wrote:
    Check www.military.ie and/or go to your local Barracks, Finner is probably your nearest. No you do not have to give up School, its a week night and weekend Service you will do, and there are "Camps" but the correct terminology is now "Paid Training Course" so im told no such thing as a Camp as its not the Scouts.

You may not get in this year as the minimum height for Males and Females is 5'4"

I thought the minimum height requirement for women was lowered from 5'4" to 5'2"??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭source

It has been reduced to five two, but military.ie hasn't been updated in quite a while as they're changing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Tribunius

Right my 2 cents. I have six years service done in the RDF (Infantry). To anyone thinking of doing it I would say go for it. You will get to do thinks and see things that you will never get a chance to do otherwise. Yes you will have to put up with alot of things that you won't like but thats all part of the deal. Many employers will look on it as a plus as it shows you can work in a team, have some disipline etc. Also you will have really shinny shoes:D

Your time in the service will consist of early mornings (6.30 or earlier). Have seem my fair share of 0 dark hundred hours:) . Though the day doesn't go on all that late around 5 or so things are usually wrapped up. In saying that a day doesn't need to end have been on the wrong side of 24hrs more times than I care to remember.

The food is usually pretty good. Varies from place to place but usually alright. The portions are fine though usually have two slices of bread with every meal.

The accomidation can range from 4 in a room to 16. By and large it is liveable but just like the food varies from place to place. Much better than back in the day.

The training will not be fun at times may even be hard but thats what the army is. For the most part I have enjoyed it. Like I said earlier you will do and see things no civy will ever do or see. You will clean everything every day as a recruit. Boots, bedspace, bathroom and anything else that comes your way.

The crack is something that has to be seen to be believed. If only becasue civies won't be able to relate. You will make friends for life. The whole drinking thing ain't really happening anymore. Don't get me wrong it still happens but not as much (the day of the handy camp is over). Oh and if your 17 no drink.

Only advice I can give is keep the mouth shut and the ears open. Also if you don't know ask your NCO. They won't bite your head off. Do what your told when your told and how your told and you willbe grand.

As for the hair cut thing. The reason is becasue the man said so and thats all anyone needs to know. In all honesty all the reasons put forward were valid though the gas mask one less so as newer models can deal with a beard but anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭greenarrow

As to the query about having long hair in the RDF, you can join if you have long hair.
    As it would be at the length it is upon enlistment, it wouild not count as changing one's identity. Likewise if you had a moustache or beard.
    But if you decide to grow your hair long or a beard, you would need permission from your CO.

As to having long hair upon enlistment, once it is tied back and in a hair net it is allowed. The same regulations apply for male and female personnel.

The reason for this is because the Employment Equality Act 1977 applies to Military Law since November 2000. And it forbids discrimination in the DF on the same grounds as civilian law...age/sex/sexuality/disability etc.
    And from this developed the age of A7 and the dignity charter.

So to answer the question originally posed, you can join if you have long hair, but you need to tie it back and in a hair net and bobbin, just as female personnel have to.

But you will come in for a great deal of stick for being a hippy though, so just expect it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Just like McDonalds.....Crikey no!! how bad do you want to join mate, is it worth losing your locks? How will it look under a beret, or lid for that matter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Tribunius wrote: »
    In all honesty all the reasons put forward were valid though the gas mask one less so as newer models can deal with a beard but anyway.

The ones on issue now don't deal with beards.

If someone doesn't want to get their haircut, then don't join any branch of the DF. Simple as.

I agree...but the point is that if you have long hair and you want to join, then as long as you have your hair tied back and kept neat (as is the requirement for female personnel) then you are allowed to do it.

Its called equality, and if you are going to hold it against someone because of their hair then its blatant sex discrimination.

As simple as that.

Boo hoo if you don't like it, but that's just the way it is. If you have long hair when you join, you're still eligible. But it needs to be tied up and so on.

• Advertisement

It's ridiculous that's what it is. If you have a lad come up and start cribbing about "equality" he'll more than likely be the same lad cribbing about having to do anything remotely hard. I'd love the see a bloke explain to a Sergeant Major that he has his hair in a bun because he likes his long hair and he has rights to keep it that way :rolleyes:

We're a professional army, not a bunch of conscripts looking like bags of ****e.... Nobody would get away with it in the PDF so it shouldn't be any different in the RDF.

Hey don't have a pop at me. All I am saying is that the army is lagging behind the rest of the real world when it comes to equality in the workplace, and that if the guy joins and wants to have keep his long hair then he has the right to do so.

On the flip side of that, it is going to make him a heat seeker. But just because someone has long hair doesn't mean they don't have what it takes to make the grade.

I thought the army stopped discriminating against people with long hair when they began allowing women to join the DF.

If he wants to have long hair he doesn't have the right to it. He can quote every law under the sun and I can assure you he'll still be getting a haircut.

That "Oh girls have long hair why can't the lads?" doesn't cut it at all. It's called uniformity, lads all have short haircuts, girls have long hair but are still required to get neck shaves and have their hair tied up properly. Lads won't get away with long hair in any conventional unit in the DF and rightly so.

If you start giving lads free reign on how long their hair can be we'll end up looking like bags of ****e.... The same way the Russians look like bags of ****e and the Germans looks like bags of ****e. It's not something that should even be argued against in a professional army.

Really...well find it in the DFRs where it says a person can't enlist in the DF based on the length of his hair.
    He can join and keep his hair long.

The bottom line is that if you are saying that a woman can have her hair any length she likes, but a man can't...its straight forward discrimination on the grounds of gender. As black and white as you can make it, and no matter what argument you want to come up with to say otherwise, that's the bottom line. Regardless of your opinion.

But exercise some thinking behind this. Either this guy will leave anyway, or peer pressure will result in the gruaige getting the chop anyway. Army life, even reserve life, will have that effect on him anyway.
    And I am thinking that this guy probably never had any real intentions of joining anyway if he is that image conscious.

And besides I have seen guys in the RDF with ponytails tied back anyway. And it does look stupid too.

And I don't believe I am having a debate abiut some hippy that wants to join the RDF anyway. So , that's my last point on this.
    Regardless of my opinion, and yours, the guy still has his equality rights and that's it.

Boo hoo if you don't agree with it, and anyone who doesn't want to allow someone their rights is in the wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Tribunius

So greenarrow based on what your saying the fact that there are different uniform items on issue to males and females is discrimination then is it? Well I would invite anyone to try that line and we will see where it gets them. Actually just thinking of it there having separate accommodation and ablutions based on gender is discrimination too based on your logic. Bring on equality i say:D

Poccington: Oh right fair enough thought it did.

• Advertisement
Advertisement