Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Joining the Reserves

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

I joined with a lad who had shoulder length hair,was told he would need to have it cut,wasent to keen on it at first but done it for the better.

You join a military organisation you want to portray a Professional look,go with sort hair.A soilder is a class above a civvie in terms of disipline etc(or should be anyway) so just get on with it.When your told to crawl through sheep s***e you dont stand up and say no cause you think its dirty!

And defo join as it is some craic and very rewarding(not financially but socialibly)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭greenarrow

Tribunius wrote: »
    So greenarrow based on what your saying the fact that there are different uniform items on issue to males and females is discrimination then is it? Well I would invite anyone to try that line and we will see where it gets them. Actually just thinking of it there having separate accommodation and ablutions based on gender is discrimination too based on your logic. Bring on equality i say:D

Last time I checked we all wore the same DPM uniform. Whatever. Look if the guy has long hair, there is nothing to say he has to have it cut short. As long as he has it tied up and all, its acceptable.
    Last time I checked the army didn't differentiate between male and female...we're all soldiers and that we all have a dignity charter hanging up in our unit.

As to the toilets, and accommodation....sure why not. It works in a patrol harbour. :L

I joined with a lad who had shoulder length hair,was told he would need to have it cut,wasent to keen on it at first but done it for the better.

You join a military organisation you want to portray a Professional look,go with sort hair.A soilder is a class above a civvie in terms of disipline etc(or should be anyway) so just get on with it.When your told to crawl through sheep s***e you dont stand up and say no cause you think its dirty!

And defo join as it is some craic and very rewarding(not financially but socialibly)

That is exactly my point that I made all along. You can keep it as long as you tie it back, but you're just gonna be a heat seeker.
    Peer pressure will eventually win out (as in the above case) or the guy will just leave.
    Thanks for that womaniser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

So, because women have long hair, I am perfectly within my right to go and ask my CO can I grow it long or otherwise it's discrimination?

In that case, I'm getting those breast implants I've always wanted! Hey, equality an' all!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

greenarrow wrote: »

Last time I checked we all wore the same DPM uniform. Whatever. Look if the guy has long hair, there is nothing to say he has to have it cut short. As long as he has it tied up and all, its acceptable.
    Last time I checked the army didn't differentiate between male and female...we're all soldiers and that we all have a dignity charter hanging up in our unit.

As to the toilets, and accommodation....sure why not. It works in a patrol harbour. :L

Well since males and females wear different head dress while in No. 1's I refuse to wear my beret or peaked cap.... I want one of those ash tray looking things, equality and all that. I now want to sleep in the female lines and have a big steaming ****e in the female toilets, equality and all that. I no longer want to do normal push ups, instead I want to do the modified push ups that females do.... Equality and all that. The Army definitely differentiates between male and female.

So no lad will be able to turn up, explain all about his rights to equality(:rolleyes:) and hold onto his lovely flowing locks. No law will stop any Unit from enforcing standardised hairrcuts.

If only I knew about these equality laws before I went into Recruit Training.... I could've informed Pl Commander, Pl Sgt and Cpl's that I wouldn't be accepting a 1 back and sides as the standard haircut :rolleyes:

A soilder is a class above a civvie in terms of disipline etc(or should be anyway) so just get on with it.

A member of the PDF is a class above a civvie in terms of everything :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Just get a regulation haircut and get over yourself. As for all this equality BS, consider the health and safety issues first and leave it at that. Next thing you'll know the Army will be offering councilling for trauma caused by the ribbing that recruits with long hair have suffered! This is the RDF we are talking about yes? As a good friend of mine used to say. Cowboy the fu*k up.

Honestly mate, your gonna look a twat with long hair in uniform.:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Poccington wrote: »
    I no longer want to do normal push ups, instead I want to do the modified push ups that females do

Just wait til you're 40 :D

And one more thing,giving out about human rights in an organisatian that is trained to take away the foremost right of a human ie the right to life seems kinda silly.......:rolleyes:

eroo wrote: »
    So, because women have long hair, I am perfectly within my right to go and ask my CO can I grow it long or otherwise it's discrimination?

You can apply to your CO in writing as to whether or not you can have permission to change your identity. Its the exact same thing as wanting to grow a moustache.
    But what do you think he is going to say to your request?

But about the implants...Well I don't know. I guess that's a personal decision that you have to make yourself. If you're happy being a woman trapped in a man's body, then go you.

• Advertisement

Should Eroo get the boob job?
    Lets ask the other members of the discussion so :D

And one more thing,giving out about human rights in an organisatian that is trained to take away the foremost right of a human ie the right to life seems kinda silly.......:rolleyes:

So what are you saying - that the DF should not pay any attention to human rights??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

If you're going to try and apply the letter of the law to the Army Reserve over something like hair, then you've got the wrong attitude entirely for the outfit anyway.

It's a great experience, and I'd recommend it, but putting up with the informal whims of your CO's comes with the territory. They'll have far more annoying orders to give you than just getting a haircut, believe me, and the command structure is not intended to promote lively debate.

concussion wrote: »
    So what are you saying - that the DF should not pay any attention to human rights??

Of course not!But when it comes down to it,if you have problems over getting your haircut because of the human rights issue than I'd say that person will have a problem taking someones life in line of duty if it came to that.

That dosent mean that Andrew wouldent do a job right because of his hair as he just lkes his hair and its not about human rights.

And it would seem ridiculous to cause so much hassle over something that will grow back tbh.I wouldent let my hair get in the way of doing something in life.

greenarrow wrote: »
    Should Eroo get the boob job?
    Lets ask the other members of the discussion so :D

Yes.Imagine explaining that to your Plt Sgt!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

This thread is still alive?! It's weird seeing a post from so long ago.

Anyways, I didn't end up joining. TBH I wasn't that serious about joining in the first place...well I was, but only for about a week. The whole haircut thing didn't play a huge part in my decision, my lack of enthusiasm was a bigger factor. Thanks for the responces though.

Also, the rule on hair is an arbitrary one. As some have pointed out, it has no effect on performance. People who say that 'well, if guys can have long hair then why can't they do female pushups etc.' are missing the point entirely. Rules on such pushups etc. are in place due to the physical diffrences between men and women and the practicalities of army life. So equality in one part of army life doesn't mean men and women need to be treated equally in all respects, and so isn't an argument against letting guys have long hair. Just saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

It's a haircut, get over it, next thing we'll hear is that green clashes with your eyes.

This is the Military Forum there are a many other forums at your disposal.

Fashion & Appearence
    Facial Hair & Hats The Ladies Lounge etc. etc.

andrew wrote: »
    Also, the rule on hair is an arbitrary one. As some have pointed out, it has no effect on performance. People who say that 'well, if guys can have long hair then why can't they do female pushups etc.' are missing the point entirely. Rules on such pushups etc. are in place due to the physical diffrences between men and women and the practicalities of army life. So equality in one part of army life doesn't mean men and women need to be treated equally in all respects, and so isn't an argument against letting guys have long hair. Just saying.

It's about uniformity. You don't have lads walking around with all different manner of harcuts when you're part of an organisation that is in the public eye quite a lot.

A short haircut looks sharp, it also helps convey a look of professionalism to Mr. Joe Public. He sees a soldier walking down the road or on a CIT, carrying himself properly and with a proper haircut he'll think "Jesus that lad looks like he means business". Now, replace the proper haircut with a lad standing there with a lovely little bun tied up at the back of his flowing locks and Mr. Joe Public will be saying "Jesus look at the hack of your man, he looks like a donkey".

We're a professional army, so as such we should carry ourselves professionally. Which means standardised dress, standardised haircuts and many other things. If people for some reason think such a rule is the work of a tyrant, well then steer clear of joining the DF.

Well said.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Hagar wrote: »
    It's a haircut, get over it, next thing we'll hear is that green clashes with your eyes.

This is the Military Forum there are a many other forums at your disposal.

Fashion & Appearence
    Facial Hair & Hats The Ladies Lounge etc. etc.

I figured this would be the appropriate forum to ask about a rule related to the reserves. If it isn't you're a year and a half late. Oh well. Never mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

andrew wrote: »
    I figured this would be the appropriate forum to ask about a rule related to the reserves. If it isn't you're a year and a half late. Oh well. Never mind.

it is the right forum for that, but it turned into an arguement about the merits and the rights of someone in the military to have long hair.

BTW, considering you can be given a lawful order to shave your head then you must shave your head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I replied a year and a half ago. :D

TBH it's gone on so long now, human rights are being dragged into it, it's run its course. I thought a little light relief might be in order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Duffers

Fact is Sikhs in the UK Forces are allowed to keep their hair long, and wear a turban in the appropriate colours as head dress. Looks smart.

But that is entirely different to having long hair as a personal choice!

Advertisement