Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vista from USA?

• 04-03-2007 12:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭

I can get Vista in from the states in about 5 weeks time by a relation who is going out there, (I probably won't visit the states till the summer).

I notice that the prices seem to be a little bit cheaper out there and there would be no postage only my relation walk into a store and buy it.

Would the American Vista work on my Irish PC? I know that Vista will run on it, but I wonder is there a regional lock on it? to stop Vista discs sold in the states from being used in Europe and vice versa, like the way the American Movie DVD's won't play in an Irish Region 2 DVD player.

I would probably get Vista Ultimate while I'd be at it.

What would the opinions of getting Vista in from over yonder be? and how is the Vista working so far? My XP is very stable and I don't really want to end up buying a lemon.

cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

it will work.

only thing is if you expect to be ringing microsoft for support, you'll be ringing the USA as Ireland's support team won't help you.

so if you don't want or need support (i've used windows since ~93 and never had to ring them once) then go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

You'll only get 90 days support anyway.
    Is there much difference in price?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭JDxtra

kaizersoze wrote:
    You'll only get 90 days support anyway.
    Is there much difference in price?

Considerable.

Windows Vista Ultimate is $399.00 (approx €300). It's €599 here.
    Windows Vista Home Premium is $239 (approx €180). It's €329 here.

So, it can be as low as half the European price.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Catalyst

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭El_mariachi

how is that so cheap?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you think Vista is cheaper in the states look at this,

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/buyorupgrade/familydiscount.mspx
    Purchase the Windows Vista Ultimate retail boxed product, and you can upgrade up to two additional PCs in your household to Windows Vista Home Premium for only $49.99 ($59.99 CAD) each.* Order online, and within minutes you’ll be ready to upgrade your computers at over 60% off the estimated retail price!*
    * The Windows Vista Family Discount is available to customers in the United States and Canada who have purchased the full or upgrade Windows Vista Ultimate retail boxed product. Customers may purchase up to two additional licenses to install the Windows Vista Home Premium Upgrade on other PCs within their household for $49.99 ($59.99 CAD) per upgrade license, a discount of over 60% off the estimated retail price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭steosavage

ye i got
    vista ultimate in the usa last month and worked great using it now also got that additional licenses 3 days ago also worked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

jebus, Europeans are getting rightly shafted ....
    Just to get this right, if you are in the states you can get Vista Ultimate plus two home premium from microsoft for €360? (costing ~€1000 here?)

I might get my brother to have a look into buying this for me

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/02/28/blair_windows_vista_price/
    Windows Vista Ultimate shoppers in the Republic can pay up to €600, the equivalent of $780, compared to US counterparts who are paying a maximum of $450 - depending on their retailer.

According to the e-petition organisers, Windows Vista Ultimate in the UK is priced at £350 but can be purchased in the US for just £195 - again, owing to the weakness of the dollar and to sterling's strength.
    350.00 GBP =
    515.726 EUR

Advertisement