Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

african grey breeders?

Options
  • 04-03-2007 12:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭

hey guys just woundering does anyone know anywhere in dublin thats breeds african greys??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

I don't know anyone personally but you could try calling some of the pet shops to ask where they get their supplies from. I know Manus Cannon the vet in Clondalkin looks after the parrots out at Tara stud. I think it's in Meath, maybe he can help. Or try the buy and sell, a lot of the people selling captive bred birds would know of breeders and might put you onto someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

hey guys just woundering does anyone know anywhere in dublin thats breeds african greys??

Paddy's Pet Shop on Parnell Street has them every now and then.

He has them in the shop with him all day - have seen some beautiful ones up there. He keeps a Macaw and Umbrella Cockatoo in the shop too and they're as tame as anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Texas

There used to be a big place that bred birds on the back road from Ashtown to Blanchardstown.... good few years ago, not sure if its still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Tara Stud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Domo182

well did ye find your bird i know some great places

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Please don't go to one of the shops mentioned here not going to mention which one just in case.

Do be careful where you get he bird from, some have behavioural problems and people want to sell them cheap sometimes to get rid of them, just check out the place you get the bird from fully before commiting to buy one.

Also, if not done already, do loads of research on them, I don't want to preach too much but they are complicated birds, live for a loooong time and need a lot of attention and time. Very demanding.

Please don't go to one of the shops mentioned here not going to mention which one just in case.

Do be careful where you get he bird from, some have behavioural problems and people want to sell them cheap sometimes to get rid of them, just check out the place you get the bird from fully before commiting to buy one.

Also, if not done already, do loads of research on them, I don't want to preach too much but they are complicated birds, live for a loooong time and need a lot of attention and time. Very demanding.
    Hi guineapigrescue i was just going to mention a place out in bray he comes recomended by everyone i know he seems to be great for young birds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Rory123

I've bought all my birds from Ed. He's sound enough. Had 3 baby greys last Sunday anyway when I visited. He's not too popular with some people here as conditions aren't of the highest standard and he turns out a lot of birds. But I would recommend him.

Rory123 wrote: »
    I've bought all my birds from Ed. He's sound enough. Had 3 baby greys last Sunday anyway when I visited. He's not too popular with some people here as conditions aren't of the highest standard and he turns out a lot of birds. But I would recommend him.
    yea Rory thats i supose his birds arent living in the best of luxury but then again there not there that long as he seems to be really popular. I bought my grey of him two months ago an shes seems really healthy every pet shop i know sent me to him .Here i wanted to ask you something can ye get your bird studed or have him up for stud just wanted to know thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Rory123

I've never really heard of that happening with parrots, it wouldn't be as straight forward with birds as it would be with dogs for example. The first thing you should do if you haven't already done so is have the bird surgically sexed as this is the only real way to determine the sex of your bird. Bairbare O' Malley in Bray will do it. She is situated near to the McDonalds on the Main Street.

• Advertisement

Rory123 wrote: »
    I've never really heard of that happening with parrots, it wouldn't be as straight forward with birds as it would be with dogs for example. The first thing you should do if you haven't already done so is have the bird surgically sexed as this is the only real way to determine the sex of your bird. Bairbare O' Malley in Bray will do it. She is situated near to the McDonalds on the Main Street.
    yea i spoke to her on monday ill go out to her very soon thanks id love to get another grey asap but there just so expencive you would think the way things are going they be a bit cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 31 winda34

Try the Parrot Society of Ireland. They often have birds that need rehoming and also have reputable breeders listed.

They are Dublin based. Nice people.

Here's a link.

http://www.parrotsocietyireland.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Maddison

If anyone has a contacct number for any of the breeders I would appreciate a PM as my partner has been seeking reputable breeders in order to get an AG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

Ed Drew in Copsewood Aviaries, 01 2862087.

He had a few AGs last weekend. Only opens Saturday, Sunday and bank holiday Mondays

Maddison wrote: »
    If anyone has a contacct number for any of the breeders I would appreciate a PM as my partner has been seeking reputable breeders in order to get an AG
    0862620201 eddie give him a bell he will always have young healty birds

Domo182 wrote: »
    0862620201 eddie give him a bell he will always have young healty birds
    please could anyone tell me were in dublin can i get pellets for my CAG i give him the seeds with the sunflowers in it an i give him frut an if he will eat it i give him veg,but everyone keeps going on about pellets were can i get them

please could anyone tell me were in dublin can i get pellets for my CAG i give him the seeds with the sunflowers in it an i give him frut an if he will eat it i give him veg,but everyone keeps going on about pellets were can i get them

We get them in Kinsealy pet Store Eddie....should be available in most big pet stores.

winda34 wrote: »
    We get them in Kinsealy pet Store Eddie....should be available in most big pet stores.
    Thanks ill look that up now every time i ask in tallaght or clondalkin they look at me like ive ten heads an give me the same seeds i see everywere

Thanks ill look that up now every time i ask in tallaght or clondalkin they look at me like ive ten heads an give me the same seeds i see everywere

They are also mixed in with the Premium Parrot Mix if you cannot find them on their own.

Very hard to get them to eat them tho unless they have been on them from birth, if they are in the parrot mix, chances are they will eat a couple.
    Try hanging some veg out of his cage (with those little pegs) as they enjoy eating it that way.....

They are also mixed in with the Premium Parrot Mix if you cannot find them on their own.

Very hard to get them to eat them tho unless they have been on them from birth, if they are in the parrot mix, chances are they will eat a couple.
    Try hanging some veg out of his cage (with those little pegs) as they enjoy eating it that way.....
    Thanks winda i never taught of hanging his veg and the seeds the ones i give him are called premium pristige they have all sorts of seed in them and theres like red coloured peas in a pod and like little sticks in there too is this the one your talking about or is this just the basic mixed seed thanks

• Advertisement

Thanks winda i never taught of hanging his veg and the seeds the ones i give him are called premium pristige they have all sorts of seed in them and theres like red coloured peas in a pod and like little sticks in there too is this the one your talking about or is this just the basic mixed seed thanks

Yep thats them Domo.....perfect mix...that should be all you need.
    You know those roundy looking things that you put on washing lines for socks???? With all the little pegs hanging off them?

You can get them almost anywhere,I bought one of those and took all the pegs off, they are excellent for hanging up fruit and veg and gets the parrots interest, I find mine eat a lot more of it this way, probably out of curiousity than taste lol!

Any of these is fine

Fruits (All fruits and vegetables must be pitted and seedless as both are poisonous to birds)

Apple, apricot, banana, berries (strawberries, blue berries, black berries, raspberries, cranberries), cherries (make sure to remove the pit!), coconut, grapes, grapefruit, kiwi, lemon, mango, melon, nectarines, oranges, papaya, peaches, pear, pineapple, plums, pomegranates, and raisins.

Vegetables

Asparagus, corn, beans, broccoli, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, celery, corn on the cob, cucumber, eggplant, green beans, lettuce, peas, peppers, potatoes, pumpkin, spinach, squash, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, yams, and zucchini

Grains

Whole wheat bread, cereal, (wheat, rice, corn,) pasta (cooked or uncooked,) brown rice (cooked,) oatmeal (uncooked,) unsalted crackers, seeds and nuts (in moderation: walnuts, almonds, pecans, macadamia, and Brazil), matzoh, bagels, cereals (that are low in sugar), low-salt pretzels, and noodles

Dairy

Cheese (not string,) Yogurt, and Egg whites

Paddy's Pet Shop on Parnell Street has them every now and then.

He has them in the shop with him all day - have seen some beautiful ones up there. He keeps a Macaw and Umbrella Cockatoo in the shop too and they're as tame as anything.

I will just say stay well away. I know 2 afrikan greys got there, both ended up in the Vet after a week with fluid on the lungs . Mine was one of them and he survived and the other was a friends who died.

they were also got a year a part. Stick with the breeder. My breeder let me down so i went the way of the petshop. it cost me at the vet .

Yep thats them Domo.....perfect mix...that should be all you need.
    You know those roundy looking things that you put on washing lines for socks???? With all the little pegs hanging off them?

You can get them almost anywhere,I bought one of those and took all the pegs off, they are excellent for hanging up fruit and veg and gets the parrots interest, I find mine eat a lot more of it this way, probably out of curiousity than taste lol!

Any of these is fine

Fruits (All fruits and vegetables must be pitted and seedless as both are poisonous to birds)

Apple, apricot, banana, berries (strawberries, blue berries, black berries, raspberries, cranberries), cherries (make sure to remove the pit!), coconut, grapes, grapefruit, kiwi, lemon, mango, melon, nectarines, oranges, papaya, peaches, pear, pineapple, plums, pomegranates, and raisins.

Vegetables

Asparagus, corn, beans, broccoli, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, celery, corn on the cob, cucumber, eggplant, green beans, lettuce, peas, peppers, potatoes, pumpkin, spinach, squash, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, yams, and zucchini

Grains

Whole wheat bread, cereal, (wheat, rice, corn,) pasta (cooked or uncooked,) brown rice (cooked,) oatmeal (uncooked,) unsalted crackers, seeds and nuts (in moderation: walnuts, almonds, pecans, macadamia, and Brazil), matzoh, bagels, cereals (that are low in sugar), low-salt pretzels, and noodles

Dairy

Cheese (not string,) Yogurt, and Egg whites
    THANKS WINDA im so going to bookmark this page i knew ye could give him frut and veg but not all that fizzy be getting spoiled tonight were going to have a feast and the pegs she has two of them on the line one of them be going missing straight away before she comes home from work thank a lot .

THANKS WINDA im so going to bookmark this page i knew ye could give him frut and veg but not all that fizzy be getting spoiled tonight were going to have a feast and the pegs she has two of them on the line one of them be going missing straight away before she comes home from work thank a lot .

:D...I shall take no responsibility for the lost pegs!!!!!
    Enjoy the feast!

:D...I shall take no responsibility for the lost pegs!!!!!
    Enjoy the feast!
    HI winda i have a big question for ye,do you know any avian vet in ireland that does imping any advice would be great thanks :)

Advertisement