Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Diesel "Chokes"

Options
  • 04-03-2007 12:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭

Ok first of all I know chokes don't exist in a diesel, but I once saw a Mitsubishi Pajero and Toyota Land Cruiser (Jap Imports) and they had a choke sign on them. Nothing strange about seeing a car with a choke sign of course, but these were diesels! I assume these are 'cold starters' for these engines. But how do they work and what do they do? Are they there for the same reason a choke in a carburettor petrol is? All answers appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The one on my old 1.6 l VW diesel basically just flooded the engine with diesel ...sooner or later some of it would ignite. Cue big clouds of black smoke, push it back in and away you went :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

They are just throttle levers AFAIK. Pulling them back was the same thing as pushing the accelerator. Useful for offroading and running a PTO I would assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭dohouch

Peugeot diesels used to have an automatic advance for the diesel injection pump, that worked through a mechanical cable that was connected to a thermostatic thingy on the water circuit. When cold it would advance the injection point and as it heated up would release and let the injection point come back to normal. Modern car diesels are all electronic and would do the same but through electronic control of injection point. I believe.

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

I had a 00 reg diesel VW which had a "choke" AFAIK it is an advancer similiar to the above but a manual version.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

I'm fairly sure that anything choke realted on the landcruiser is an automatic function, but it too has one of those things, but mine says throttle on it, its very handy when yer fengin it across an outback highway and yer right foot gets itchy

• Advertisement
Advertisement