Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FreeBSD problem

• 04-03-2007 2:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭

Hi, I am completely new to open source OS software so excuse me if this question is a little "n00bish" LOL:)

Basically I have setup a virtual system using Virtual PC and FreeBSD v6.2 i386.
    Everything is ok and I can logon as a SU and guest, but I am having trouble with X.

I tried the command "startx" after configuring Xorg paremeters, and I get a very simple window with greyscale.
    I want a desktop along with the standard shell and I have installed the GNOME desktop using "# pkg_add -r gnome2" and it installed Gnome.

My question is, could somebody tell me how to Associate Xstart With Gnome instead of the very basic window manager which is the greyscale window?

I tried "% echo "/usr/local/bin/gnome-session" > ~/.xinitrc"
    to load a session but to no effect.

It could be something very simple but I have spent the last hour or so at this.
    Can I load the Gnome desktop every time I start the virtual machine?

Another thing, am I kidding myself using FreeBSD as a total Unix/Linux noob?
    I am just sick of windows and want to learn some other OS.

Any help appreciated:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Beelzebub

I got KDE configured in FreeBSD once.
    Unfortunately I can't remember how I did it.
    I did a google and found the information.

Have you heard of Desktop BSD or PCBSD?
    You can download a PCBSD VMWare image and run it in VMWare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Thanks for the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 ld50

Another very important link if your going to start to learn Freebsd

The FreeBSD Handbook
    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/

Handbook X Windows Information
    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x11.html

Even though FreeBSD can run all the desktop stuff, it is best to think of it as a server platform then a desktop.
    Linux is a better choice for a desktop.

mh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

ld50 wrote:

Even though FreeBSD can run all the desktop stuff, it is best to think of it as a server platform then a desktop.
    Linux is a better choice for a desktop.

mh

Nonsense.

ntlbell wrote:
    Nonsense.
    What? About it running all the Desktop stuff :)

• Advertisement

I didn't want to start a war.

What I should of said in that post, was not that either system is better as desktop or server, but that there is more of a community for linux as a desktop then FreeBSD.

So, if your going into FreeBSD side of things it's good to know that there is more help out there in linux desktop area then BSD.

Could you ever see FreeBSD install looking like any of the installs you get with some linux distros?

It's quite clearly targeted at the server market more then the desktop market.

mh

Let there be no wars here.
    The fight is against Windows My good friends and not amongst ourselves:D
    PCBSD and DesktopBSD are as easy to install as Linux and actually easier in some cases. These are the friendly faces of BSD. ;)
    I strongly urge you to give either or both of these a try.
    I have installed both and was very pleasantly surprised.

Just to add, I got the Gnome environment working with FreeBSD 6.2
    because I didnt check the parameters for case sensitivity*DOH!*
    I have now rectified the problem:)

Naikon wrote:
    Just to add, I got the Gnome environment working with FreeBSD 6.2
    because I didnt check the parameters for case sensitivity*DOH!*
    I have now rectified the problem:)

I'm glad you persisted and got it sorted out!

ld50 wrote:
    I didn't want to start a war.

What I should of said in that post, was not that either system is better as desktop or server, but that there is more of a community for linux as a desktop then FreeBSD.

So, if your going into FreeBSD side of things it's good to know that there is more help out there in linux desktop area then BSD.

Could you ever see FreeBSD install looking like any of the installs you get with some linux distros?

It's quite clearly targeted at the server market more then the desktop market.

mh

All the better, I want a good challenge:cool:

I am really starting to like BSD I must say.
    Thanks for the Help Everybody:)

• Advertisement

Good to hear. I love freebsd and think it's one of the best systems to work with.

Stick with it and you won't want to use anything else.

mh

Advertisement