Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

dropping out/ telling parents?

• 04-03-2007 3:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, im a 24 year old student, in first year, and thinking about dropping out. Well, im not going to pass the exams in the summer anyway, and probably-definitely going to fail the repeats aswell.
    How do I tell my parents, seeing as they’re the ones who are paying for it, and I was in college already for three years, but dropped out with nothing?????? HOWWW?????

Also, what am I going to do with the rest of my life =o?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

See a career counsellor at college for advice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

You don't say if you want to do the course or not. It sounds like you have given up on passing despite the fact that there is plenty of time left if you could get yourself off your ass and do some work. If you actually want to do the course then stop panicking.

As Blue_Lagoon says, most colleges have guidance counselors who have experience dealing with problems like yours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

If you started working now then there is no way you could really fail the repeats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

Get yourself a study buddy and start working now. You're in first year and there is no way you'd fail if you start working and keep working from now until the exams. Talk to your college tutor (if you have one) and/or the guidance counsellor and tell them how you're feeling.

To be honest it sounds as if you're just afraid of failing. Your defeatist attitude has to change if you're ever to get anywhere you want to go with your life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Agree with dame. You are setting yourself up to fail. I had one college disaster but second time out I went at it. Even so there was a nagging doubt in my head for a while that I would blow it again but I stuck at it.
    Never mind next year, parents or anything else. Look at this year only and do enough work to pass. The way college works these days you can still get enough into your head to pass. Once you pass you can ask the questions about the course. Even if it is the wrong course for you at the very least have something to show for yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Nickibaby*

I really don't think you will fail if you start working now. It might be hard catching up. Like others have said talk to your lecturers and careers guidance councellor.

And if your feeling bad about your parents paying for it get a part time job and go about paying them back. That way it's your own mess if you muck it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Some Guy wrote:
    Also, what am I going to do with the rest of my life =o?
    Work in a sh%tty dead end job. Of course, you could stop aimlessly meandering and bust your a$$ for the next two months. You seem reasonably coherent, and given they're first year exams, you can probably catch up. Stop using the fact that u are 'probably-definitely' going to fail as an excuse. Go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

Do you want to do the course? If you do, then do some work and you will pass.

If not, don't worry, i've been in your position. your parents probably wont like it but they'll calm down and get used to the fact that you don't like the course.

It does sound like you wanna drop out because you think you're gonna fail not becasue you don't like the course. Make a decent stab at it, college can be a battle sometimes but thats life.

Advertisement