Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless?

Options
  • 04-03-2007 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭

I read an article a while ago stating that it would be possible for everyone to get broadband if it was transmitted wireless from mountain tops similar to TV. I live near Keeper Hill (Tipperary North) and am fortunate to get (very bad) BT Ireland broadband.

I understand with a hill similar to Keeper Hill in Mexico they broadcast broadband to 9 million people wireless. If anyone can verify or prove this wrong please do.

If it is true, why can they not do that here? We have mountains with big catchment areas. Upgrading the service will only be upgrading as far as the transmitter. None of this upgrading of wiring from Eircom station to your home.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Yes it's wrong.

For example the DTT trials in 1999 had interactive data with HUGE bandwitdth. But shared amoung 50,000 to 100,000 people you would only get 300bps to 1200bps.

Countryside/rural areas can use big phone cells but cities they need loads of small cells.

The higher the speed (basic GSM is 14kbps) the smaller the cell has to be. To give true 100% coverage at about 500kbps (1/2 basic broadband speed) you might need 500 or 600 masts or more. About 80% can maybe be covered at 250kbps with about 150 masts.

Don't confuse Broadband (low latency, < 50ms Pings and high speed > 250Kbps ) with Internet access. Wireless systems the speed is typcally divided by number of users or worse.

Thus 108Mbps WiFi can only do about 100kbps or less with 50 users. WiFi is designed for really less than 10 users, even then sustained simulatainious would be not 11Mbps (1/10th), but about 2Mbps sustained per user.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Chrous used to transmit broadband to businesses in Limerick from Keeper Hill.
    Even though I am a closer to keeper then Limerick City, I could never get it.
    I emailed Chorus at the time and was told I would be contacted when the service was in my area.

Four years later(about 2002) and no reply, so I rang Chorus to see what was up. I was told that chorus was unable to extend the service as the company that was to supply them equipment went out of business because of 9/11 .
    What a joke of a company.

Last I heard the service had stopped taking on new customers. It has probably been discontinued since then.

The good news for North Tipp is some areas now have wireless internet. http://fwi.ie/coverage.html2.html
    Although I hear from people that have it that contention is far too high.

Advertisement