Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giant FCR[2/3] / Trek 7.3FX / Lapierre CR100

Options
  • 04-03-2007 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭

Hi, not sure if the best place for this is cycling or commuting, so putting it in both, if thats OK.

Looking at getting a new hybrid for cycling to work. Only 6 miles a day or so, but would like to get into longer spins when the eveings get longer. Anyway.

Have ridden and liked the following:
    Giant FCR2 (E869)
    Trek 7.3FX (E559)
    Lapierre RCR100. (E439)

I',m also waiting for an FCR3 to come into stock to test (E559). I expect it to be similar in geometry and feel to the FCR2.

Of the 3(4) listed, which would be recommended as the better manufacturer. I think that the FCR2 is too expensive for me, but I've not quite ruled it out just yet. I'd never heard of the La Pierre, but read good things albeit with warrenty concerns here on boards. I don't know too much about the groupsets etc on any of them. I get the impression that the Giant and Trek are more like 'lightweight mountain bikes with skinny wheels' than the lapierre, which seems to be more of a 'road racing bike with straight bars' - would this be accurate description?

So assuming I also like the FCR3, which of the FCR3/RCR100/7.3FX would you recommend, given that they are all in my budget, and why? Or are there any others in the same sort of budget/style which you would recommend as an alternative?
    Thanks in advance
    Kenmc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Well, the Trek and the Lapierre both look about equal on paper to me, so I'd say, out of htem the Lapierre looks like the better buy. Again, on paper, the Giant is a much better bike than either of them, it's just made from better components (SRAM gears, in particular, are lovely). I've never owned bikes by any of the 3 of them though, but they're all reputed brands as I'm sure you well know so I'd imagine you're in safe hands.

I commute on a hybrid, about 14 miles round trip at least 3 days a week, and the bike I would recommend to anyone spending your amount of money is the Orbit Orion. Its got a lot of things your listed bikes don't have that are useful for commuting (although definitely crap all over the bikes 'coolness' factor) such as rear panniers, integrated dynamo-powered lighting and hub gears.

Have you tried a bike like this, might be better suited to what you're looking for: quick for commuting and very low maintenence...
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-GB/bikes/lifestyle/347/15176/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Is that 6 miles each way or there and back? If the former I think I would lean towards the 'road bike with straight bars,' if the latter the mountain-based ones would be fine.

I had a Trek 7300 which was basically the predecessor to the current 7.3FX and I was very happy with it. Definately in the mountain-bike side and eventually replaced it with a Specialized Sirrus which was certainly more road bikey as I wanted something a bit faster.

Giant FCRs are definately more on the flat bar road bike side with road bike gear ratios and thin tyres.

At the end of the day they are all reputable brands, although you may get better value with Giant or La Pierre, Treks can be a bit overpriced from the "Lance factor." Best to go with whatever is most comfortable for you. Be sure to factor in a rack and mudguards with whatever you get.

One annoying thing I did find with my Trek 7300(s) is that I had to replace it no less than three times. Popular bike with bike thieves!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

thanks for the replies. it's 6 miles return (3ish each way)
    in terms of 'what feels best' they all feel 20 times better than my current bike cos of the weight reduction, but given the couple of mins i have to test ride them it's impossible to differentiate them unfortunately.
    I should be able to get a discount on th 06 7.3FX vs the 07 model, although this shouldn't be a deciding factor i guess. I'll see how I feel when I go on the FCR3, hopefully this weekend
    Cheers
    K

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

A discount on last year's model is not to be sniffed at if it is a reasonable discount (min 20%.) I regularly take advantage of those discounts myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

You misunderstand - I wouldn't be refusing the discount, I'm just saying that it shouldn't be the main reason to buy it - a bargain is not just something you get cheap - it's something that you WANT that you get cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

I was just looking at the Orbit site and apparently the Orion has been discontinued. Do you know anywhere that might still have some in stock?
    Well, the Trek and the Lapierre both look about equal on paper to me, so I'd say, out of htem the Lapierre looks like the better buy. Again, on paper, the Giant is a much better bike than either of them, it's just made from better components (SRAM gears, in particular, are lovely). I've never owned bikes by any of the 3 of them though, but they're all reputed brands as I'm sure you well know so I'd imagine you're in safe hands.

I commute on a hybrid, about 14 miles round trip at least 3 days a week, and the bike I would recommend to anyone spending your amount of money is the Orbit Orion. Its got a lot of things your listed bikes don't have that are useful for commuting (although definitely crap all over the bikes 'coolness' factor) such as rear panniers, integrated dynamo-powered lighting and hub gears.

Have you tried a bike like this, might be better suited to what you're looking for: quick for commuting and very low maintenence...
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-GB/bikes/lifestyle/347/15176/

Advertisement