Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where to acquire husky

Options
  • 04-03-2007 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭

anyone know where i can buy a well bred husky pup, and how much would it cost?

any help appreciated,
    cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Have you seen THIS thread ?

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭riddik

yes i have

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've no experience of actually owning a Siberian husky, but I have recently had the experience of being pulled on a sled for the best part of 200km's in Swedish Lapland over 4 days by a team of six of them. At the end of all that, I was completely and utterly shattered, but the dogs were as lively and playful when they got back to base on the last night as they were when they set off. That fact alone tells me that dogs like that aren't going to be satisfied by a mere 30 minute walkies in the local park once a day.

As far as temperament goes, they were probably the friendliest, most compliant dogs I've ever been in contact with. Just the hassle of wrestling on a (frozen hard!) harness over their heads every morning would have got most dogs snapping or at least getting a bit annoyed, but these dogs would just let you manhandle them with impunity. That may well be more down to training and selection for these qualities, since having your dogs bite paying tourists probably isn't good for business!

So, having seen them working and enjoying themselves in their native habitat, and despite the fact that I'd absolutely love to own one myself, I somehow just don't think I could do it.

Advertisement