Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ponies

Options
  • 04-03-2007 2:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭

Just wondering if any of you out there have any idea how much the average cost of livery is for a pony ? I know there are different scales, depending on how much of the work you do yourself......... I'm new to all this and am not thinking of buying my horse loving son a pony just yet (waiting on lotto win for that lol) but am curious about how much stables charge. Many thanks in advance for any help you can give me :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

It depends on where in the country you are, and what sort of livery. Expect at least €150 per week for full livery near Dublin. €100 per week in the country, and anything from €15 for grazing to €60 for grass livery with facilities...

Confused?

Then you'll have shoeing and worming and vet and dental costs. Its important to get well fitting tack. And then you'll be wanting to join the pony club for which you'll need a suitable towing vehicle and trailer... I could go on all day...

Really great hobby though, and gave me so much confidence and independence and joy when I was in my teens (and still does) and taught me all about responsibility. The highs are fantastic, but the lows come too sometimes (my young horse died suddenly three weeks ago, and I'm still raw over it).

Perhaps you could look into a sharing agreement for him.. and if he's not in the pony club, he should join, ponies can be leased for camp, and he'll learn so much and have a great time.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭clairey

livery has become so expensive, in Wicklow I was paying 135 a week not including shoes or vitamins anything like that!
    In wexford, it is 125 a week and thats for hardly any facilities! Just one small outdoor!!
    Half livery would obviously be cheaper because your doing some of the work although if your not very experienced I dont know how much use this would be too you?

A great idea would be pony sharing for now, he would get all the fun out of horseriding and looking after his own pony but at half the cost!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭popppy

So sorry to hear about your pony Fits.... Thanks for your replys guys, I'm living in Bray, my son rides up in Enniskerry and just eats, sleeps horses these days. The pony sharing idea sounds interesting, but I have no idea what it entails or how you would go about it.....any info would be greatly received : )
    Cheers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Mainly through word of mouth but you could put a sign up in riding schools, tacdk shops. You may have to sort out insurance for your son. Does he help out where he rides?.

Is he riding up in Killegar?? You could always ask someone there if they know of anyone looking to share a pony? Or else there is always ads up in the statoil in Kilternan looking for people to share, you should have a look :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Personally I wouldn't go the way the way of sharing. It has the potential to cause to many problems with people needing the pony at certain times, extra work could fall back on one more than the other.

I would suggest getting your son to join a pony club first and see if his interest keeps up.
    How old is your son?

There are draft share agreements on the BHS website... just so the boundaries are clear. I think sharing is a great idea, there are so many people out there who dont have the time to do as much as they would like with their animals.
    OP, I'd put signs up in the tack shops and riding schools. And do join the pony club, its a fantastic organisation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭popppy

Thanks for all your replies........ Yes Clairey, he rides up in Killegar and absolutely loves it.......... He is 9 yrs old Rabies. The pony club thing sounds very interesting, I will google it to see what I can find out but definately sounds like a goer !! :)

you definitely should the number for the kilternan branch is 4943136, Ann Shuldice is the lady who takes care of new members as far as I can remember!! God i miss those pony club days:(

Crikey, is there a Kilternan branch? I only knew of Bray pony club and Wicklow Pony Club. The Wicklow one is incredibly well sponsored and backed.

• Advertisement

fits wrote:
    Crikey, is there a Kilternan branch? I only knew of Bray pony club and Wicklow Pony Club. The Wicklow one is incredibly well sponsored and backed.

yep theres a kilternan one!! most of the stuff used to be in spruce lodge and brooke lodge!! which was handy because I kept my horse in spruce lodge lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 oisin_reme

Hi,

does anybody have any experience of livery in Calliaghstown riding stables?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭skink

no actual experience, but grainne sugars(the owner) seems to run a tight ship, and the animals are well looked after.

Advertisement