Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Just watching Hibs vs Rangers here

• 04-03-2007 3:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭

And I could have sworn the Hibs fans were singing the "Fields of Athenry", is that something they normally sing or is it just reserved for Rangers visits?

(BTW only watching this because I am dying with Sinusitus here!!)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Hibs are the original Catholic club in Scotland, so no surprises there. What score it now? was 1-0 to Rangers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sinusitis, of course. ;) Fields has become the mexican wave/ole-ole-ole of 21st century football.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,328 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Wikipedia wrote:
    The club was founded in August 1875 by members of the St Patrick's Roman Catholic Church based on the Cowgate. The club's principal founders were Canon Edward Joseph Hannan, and the head of the local Catholic Young Men's Association, Michael Whelahan, who became the first club captain. The meeting which established the club took place at the St. Mary's Street Hall, which can still be seen today. The team originally played, like all other teams of the time, on the Meadows, a park towards the south of Edinburgh's Old Town. The club moved to the Leith area of the city in 1880,to a purpose built ground named Hibernian Park, which stood where Bothwell Street now stands today. The club moved to its present ground at Easter Road in 1891, just a stone throw away from their first home.

Hibs were the first major club in Scotland formed by members of large Irish Catholic population of the time. The club's name reflects its Irish roots, (Hibernia is the Latin name for Ireland). A strict translation of the name Hibernian FC would be "Irishmen Football Club." As the first such team, their example led to the creation of Dundee Hibernian (now Dundee United) and Celtic, who when they were formed were nearly called Glasgow Hibernian. The club is seen as being much less of a Catholic institution now than it was in the past, and today geographical association rather than religion is the primary reason that fans support the team (Hibernian being the club for East Edinburgh).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hibernian_F.C.

Finished 2-0 to Rangers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

I would have thought the name 'Hibernian FC' answered this question but I suppose Latin isn't as well known as it once was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I was watching an Ireland match there a few weeks ago (I know! :rolleyes: ... I had syphilis!) Anyway, the home crowd were singing "OLE, OLE, OLE!" Like wtf? That's Spanish FFS!!! I was thinking that maybe some of the Spanish students that stayed in Ireland during summers past mated with some of the locals. Who knows?.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭odonnell

BaZmO* wrote:
    I was watching an Ireland match there a few weeks ago (I know! :rolleyes: ... I had syphilis!) Anyway, the home crowd were singing "OLE, OLE, OLE!" Like wtf? That's Spanish FFS!!! I was thinking that maybe some of the Spanish students that stayed in Ireland during summers past mated with some of the locals. Who knows?.....

Ive actually witnessed that being belted out in many pubs in dublin whilst watching ireland play! i thought the same like... eh!? ole.... ???? heh

dunno mate...suppose theyve not as many juicy songs to sing ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

And Shelbourne fans have been known to use an indian chant at times!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

It made a comeback on Sunday alright MJS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    And Shelbourne fans have been known to use an indian chant at times!

Worst. Chant. Ever. :)

Advertisement