Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is 24 getting a bit un-realistic?

• 04-03-2007 3:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

One minute Jack Bauer has been left to rot in China, according to the goverment he's expendible, the next thing he's back to 'Drop the weapon'. While I love Kiefer Sutherland as an actor (although they will have to kill him off eventually :() I think they need to re-shape the show cause the format's getting a bit tired and predictable after 6 seasons.

Further examples:
    1.When the President authourised the killing of Ryan Shipel
    2. When Jack Bauer was responsible for killing Paul Riens in order to keep the chinese fella alive (He dies, he lives)
    3.When Jack bauer broke Ramone Salazar out of a top class US security prision and flew him down to Mexico!
    4. The swearing in of Predident logan and his crap deseion making(The US goverment would not even look at a person who cant run the country!) in season 4 after air force 1 was hit

Also??
    How come CTU could trace the call of the people who found the war head codes in season 4 to tell them to hide in a power station in like a minute but they needed teri bauer to keep the line open for 10 minutes so they could trace her back in season 1??

Hmm?:confused:

Is 24 getting too streached? 8 votes

Yes, a bit
    0% 0 votes
    No, are you mad???
    100% 8 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

It's all about enjoying it and not delving too much into thinking about it.

Ya have to remember that after all every new season has to out do the previous in a certain way, or else viewers will get bored of lack of anything spectacular.

Watch and enjoy tbh :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

its a tv show that is made to entertain. don't look into it too much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Chillwithcian

Spanky-s wrote:
    Ya have to remember that after all every new season has to out do the previous in a certain way, or else viewers will get bored of lack of anything spectacular.

Yes, thats true, theres definitly more torture!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

Jack Bauer goes ''dies'' , loses his wife, loses all his closest friends[Tony,David,etc] , saves America every now and again.............and has a terrorist brother and father

sure this happens to all cia people in america who deal with terriorest threats...........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Yeah, don't look into too much. It's entertainment, 24 has never been exactly one for realism, just accept it for what it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

I dont think its realistic but I think Day 6 is gettin Un-original. a lot seems to be copied from other series [Muslim terrorists, nukes,
    attackin the Consul etc]

Its lookin a bit like a mash of series 2 and 5 lately. Ah well, still good telly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

once Kim isnt been hunted by cuogers,im happy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Well I'm not happy, because I can't see any Kim!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

Of course it is, but that's its charm. This season has been too inconsistent for my liking. Some great episodes, some poor ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

24 unrealistic? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I say next season, ship the indefatigable Jack off to Iran with a pump action shotgun with bottomless shells with chloe on an always open channel to his in ear tranceiver and lets see what happens :D

Whats great about this show is not the realism, but the surrealism. To have everything happen in a 24 hour period and for it to be realistic would not keep audiences interested, who wants to see Jack take a 15 minute coffee break, then an overdue dump followed by a 20 minute power nap... doesn't really make for good tv. They need to fill the show with exaggerated coincidences and juxtapositions so as to keep the momentum moving.

Every wondered why all the terrorists in america seem to set up there HQ's within a 2 hour drive from CTU HQ? Again, surrealism at its best.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

'24' only becoming unrealistic?! It was never realistic! That is/was part of its charm. I mean why do the terrorists keep trying LA when they know CTU is there? Why not go after NYC and make Jack travel on a plane for a few episodes? Because!

How does Jack travel across the city so quickly? Because!

How is Jack still operational given evey season he's told that, when he performs action X, he'll never be able to get back in CTU? Because!

How can Chloe crack high-encryption by tapping 5 keys and babbling about ports realistically? Because!

How can Kim be so dumb? Because!

If it went realistic, nobody would watch. If it keeps fairly consistent with its own nutty internal logic - the surrealism - then people are entertained. The real pitfall it needs to watch, and one it's suffering to my mind this year, is repetition of ideas. I feel I've seen it all before and amn't enjoying myself and that's much worse than any lack of realism for the show this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Mossy Monk wrote:
    its a tv show that is made to entertain. don't look into it too much

Agreed - I don't think it was ever meant to be a current affairs style programme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

unreggd wrote:
    [Muslim terrorists, nukes, attackin the Consul etc]
    are the muslim terrorists not being used as pawns by russian renegades though. making for a nice new twist, plus the ability to catch up with Fayed sooner,
    have a big climax to a middle episode and still have the bad guys out there for the finale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Chillwithcian

L31mr0d wrote:

Every wondered why all the terrorists in america seem to set up there HQ's within a 2 hour drive from CTU HQ? Again, surrealism at its best.

Because they want to invite them over for a cuppa i geuss :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

I read once in an article that complaining that 24 is unrealistic is like complaining that being bitten by a radioactive spider wouldn't actually give you super powers.

There are some things you have to accept for the show to exist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Wait.... wait... wait.. wait. wait, you saying 24 was meant to be realistic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

4. The swearing in of Predident logan and his crap deseion making(The US goverment would not even look at a person who cant run the country!)

Hmm?:confused:

George Bush :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

I read an interview with Keifer where he said they filmed a never used scene, for the start of Day 5, where Jack comes out of the toilet, eating a sandwhich in his pyjamas. A realistic 24 would not make exciting television.

Seeing Jack being thrown out a window, after a bomb blast that killed half a SWAT team, and get up without a scratch is a little silly. And what about Morris getting drilled in the arm only to be working away at his keyboard hours later, even more silly. Good tv though.

Then again who can forget season 2. Jack was in stabbed, in a plane crash, tortured, died, came back to life, had a heart attack and crashed his car into a wall and still managed to pull himself together enough to defeat a martial arts expert in hand to hand combat in the season finale.

24 is as realistic now as it ever was.

Advertisement