Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Power steering question

Options
  • 04-03-2007 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

00 Opel Astra 1.4.

Anybody know why the power steering is working without the car actually been started.

When i turn the ignition on(not starting the car) i can hear a whirring noise coming from the engine bay, and the power steering works as if i had started the car.

Is it the electric pump or something else not so serious!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

Yes, they have an electric power steering pump. The unit sits on top of the steering rack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Sounds a lot safer than having it run off the engine. I used to have one of the VW 1.6 petrol engines with their fuel supply design fault that cuased it to cut out suddenly. Bad enough in itself, but the side effect of the steering becoming almost impossible to turn it was quite alarming. I became very quick at restarting it!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Cosmo K wrote:
    Yes, they have an electric power steering pump.

If you keep the power steering acivating without the engine running you will flatten your battery!!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

in some cars wiuth electric power steering, if you stall the engine, the power steering will continue to work, but it won't work if you just switch the ignition to the "on" position without the engine running. (highly interesting stuff)

Advertisement