Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Which Car (Again!)

Options
  • 04-03-2007 4:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭

Im getting a company car (leased) in my new job which i start in a few weeks. Its in England.

Basically i wanted something deadly like an IS200, but i cant get insured on one due to my lack of no claims bonus (ive only been driving 7 months), but im 23 and have a full licence. I currently drive a 97 323f which i love, but will get something newer when i get to england.

So im pretty much limited to a 1.6.

I need comfort (will have to do a few long journeys every month)
    Must look good (this is probably one of the most important factors)
    The more toys the better
    Reliabilty - doesnt really concern me to much,as its a leased car and they pay for repairs etc
    Must be nippy enough

Im thinking -
    The new Astra
    Some sort of Alfa (Seeing as i dont have to pay for maintenace, but do they still sell the 146/147)
    The new Civic (the sportier version, but not type R)
    Mazda 3 Saloon (I like it better than the hatch)
    Beemer 1 Series

I may also consider a mini, but i personally think there a bit "gay", but would possibly consider it.

What do you think, so far my favourite would be the Astra, but id also love an Alfa seeing as i dont have to pay for maintenace and repairs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

I'd go with a VW Passat, lovely car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

The 1 Series would be considerd a bit 'gay'
    The Opel Astra is very hard to judge the back .
    I have no immediate experence Alfa's but judging by the many,,,many posts about them here i'd say your heart would be broken with trips to the garage.

I'd go with
    Avensis
    Mondeo
    Focus
    Jetta

-VB-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

DonJose wrote:
    I'd go with a VW Passat, lovely car.

Hes 23 not 43. The passat is nice if your into that sort of thing and can get the top of the range diesel model which has 140bhp, my uncle has 1 for the wife and its some yoke to go but its boring as hell and a bit of a barge. Over-rated and over-priced and under speced as with all Vw`s and not as reliable as you might believe but thats just my opinion.

I reckon you can insure pretty much any Tdi at 23 with a full licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Lamps

the passat, golf, octavia and anything else volkswagon is out of the question. I personally think there crap and would feel like a tool driving any of these cars, like my dad drives a passat.

The only "Volkswagon" car id consider is the Seat Leon, they seem alrite although i havent really looked into it.

If the alfa was causing me trouble id send it back, its only leased and im only going to be keeping the car for a year.

Im thinking a civic like this
    http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=513965
    but am afraid i would just think it looks weird a few months down the road! But i dont know it seems nice to me now.

Id go for an alfa like this
    http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=581861

And then theres the astra as well. Dont know what to go for really.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

If you don't have to pay for it yourself then you can't beat getting an Alfa.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Lamps

If you don't have to pay for it yourself then you can't beat getting an Alfa.

Thats exactly my thoughts. But i love the astra and civic as well!
    I'll see what the craic is with the ALfa, surely the faults would of been taken out on nthe facelift model? The model I have linked has been out about 6 years now!?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Lamps wrote:
    I'll see what the craic is with the ALfa, surely the faults would of been taken out on nthe facelift model? The model I have linked has been out about 6 years now!?
    Maybe it's a bunch of malcontents who feel the need to complain every time Alfa is mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Mike07

Was in that showroom on sat---nice alfa!!

They had a spider on the floor too --- terrific looking

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭kman

I've had a 147 for the last few years, great car, no problems. Think reliability has improved a lot with the newer models. The new 159 looks the biz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Its a toss between the alfa and the Beemer, if you can get good spec on the Lafa then that would win it for me.

How does this lease thing work, do you just your car and spec and the job contribute to the payments?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

hate to do the usual on here but what about the A3?
    although maybe you ruled it out as a VAG car?

I looked at similar cars to yourself and ended up with the A3, have been very happy with it so far. Costs more than golf but holds value better so may lease
    not far off it. interior is great, if you spend a lot of time in the car it is very comfortable and well made.
    Didn't like the alfa in the end, but I had to worry about depreciation which
    you don't. personally think the bmw looks terrible and space in rear is crap.
    I didn't like the astra sporthatch as it felt cramped and don't personally like any of the eastern cars, they have no personality imo. Although I was impressed by a test drive in the new civic, if I have to so for one apart from the A3 that would be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Peugeot 207.........if the 206 is anything to go by should be a nice little goer....plus in the 20-25k pricerange you could get the 1.6 auto...if you're gonna be doin a lot of driving

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

or the 150bhp 1.6 GT petrol or the 1.6 GT 110bhp HDI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

If its a maintenace included, get the Alfa.

WHy lease though? Just buy the car!

Advertisement