Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should the Top Gear format change?

Options
  • 04-03-2007 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

Do you think Top Gear is tiring? Should the format change? If so what would you like to see changed?

Answers on a postcard to... :)

Should the show format change? 73 votes

Yes, dramatically
    0% 0 votes
    Yes, only a little
    8% 6 votes
    No, leave it as it is
    34% 25 votes
    DeLorean (Atari Jaguar)
    57% 42 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Tails142

more deloreans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Yes it needs some tweaking to remain fresh, I think they should dig out a few features they dropped like Future Classics slot which only covered a few cars like the Lancia Delta Intergrale and Merc Cosworth, some more themed track days would be fun (remember fastest Clerics?) or things like Transits around Nurburgring, say a People Carrier around Oulton park or Knockhill (for the adventurous) in January :p

Mike.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

mike65 wrote:
    Yes it needs some tweaking to remain fresh

They did have a section called "I'm a clot and I've ruined my car".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,311 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

They do need to change after 10 series they are getting a bit dull - but then again I find the messing around segments dull I can watch some of the car reviews several times and still enjoy them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

I dont like how often Clarksons using the same phrases twice ><, kinda gay. Last week he did the ol " we have been inundated with a letter", said the same thing last season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,211 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I like that they try new stuff, I'd like to see it continue the way it is with the current format, but still keep it fresh by changing the odd thing every now and then

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

There has been a lot of 'debate' about TG recently. I like the current format, but lets point out some truths:

TG is NOT a pure motoring show, it is an entertainment show, themed on motoring.
    There are plenty of shows that cover everyday cars, and that give facts and figures. If that is what you like, watch those.
    The TG format is excellent. Compare it to Vroom Vroom (which is a poor attempt at copying TG), and you will quickly see the class difference.

However,

I do think that there is some room from improvement. I feel there was far to many 'projects' this series. If a series has 8 episodes, then a balanced format would be something like:

Every week:
    one or two car reviews
    The news
    1 x feature(see seasons below)
    Cool wall
    Star car
    Power lap

Each season:
    maybe 1 race, (across europe thingy)
    1 or 2 projects, (convertible people carrier, stretched limos)
    1 or 2 challanges, (road working, farming, the who road crew)
    And some new stuff thrown in, more audience interaction and public input could work aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

the challenges are deadly and should surely be kept but the celebs in the cars needs a bit of brightning up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

Iv been liking the celeb guests lately, dont know who half of them are but still laugh ><.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Forget the specials like the 'petrol' or the 'US tour' imo. Good entertainment but a bit blah.

More races,
    Get a damn Veyron round the track,
    Less chat with the guests and more focus on the power lap.

I felt last season was excellent compared to this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

kaimera wrote:
    Forget the specials like the 'petrol' or the 'US tour' imo. Good entertainment but a bit blah.

I've a funny feeling that in a future episode we are going to be treated to a 'special' on making biofuel from the rape seed crop they 'planted'.

It will involve a 'how biofuel is made' and some challenges for the lads based on using the biofuel they have gained from 'their' crop.

It would want to be something special to make it worth watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

For some strange reason I've only just started watching Top Gear, its fantastic, what have I been missing all these years!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 45,661 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

magnumlady wrote:
    For some strange reason I've only just started watching Top Gear, its fantastic, what have I been missing all these years!!:D
    if you have digital, it is on UK TV Gold or UKTVG2 (summit like that (111 on sky dig) all the time. loads of oldish eps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

I'd get rid of the star car bit, i'll admit sometimes the guests are funny but half the time I've no idea who they are and really don't care how they got around the track.

The rest of the show is pretty good as is, I love the challenges personally, they're obviously scripted but who cares if its great entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I'm tempted to say that it should not be changed but then again don't they say that the first rule of business is "If it's not broke, break it because someone else will". It's the only TV program that I try not to miss and really enjoy the repeats on UKTV. Then again I absolutely hate the fillers, like the Reliant Robin rocket crap or the recent road resurfacing - boring beyond belief. :(
    My wife cannot understand how I break my neck to get home from work/pub etc. to see a program and then castigate it for boring the shít out of me.
    Ah well, that's Top Gear for you. Ya have to love it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Tauren wrote:
    if you have digital, it is on UK TV Gold or UKTVG2 (summit like that (111 on sky dig) all the time. loads of oldish eps.

I found it on Gold last week, well pleased about that.
    I would love them to bring out a dvd of this last series.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

kaimera wrote:

I felt last season was excellent compared to this season.

Course the last season was full of specials (make people carrier, hosting radio show, make boat out of car, caravan holiday, vans) but for some reason we should 'forget the specials' despite them making the last three seasons the best yet (IMO of course)

I'd agree with the less chat, more races though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

I think im getting some what addicted to this show thanks to bbc and ukgold. Absolutaly adore it. Defo think things are great at the moment and doesnt need to be changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Maybe we've come to expect too much? After all the season before last (Toyboata) was one of the best series to date and probably won't be topped for a while.

But that said, the road-re-surfacing challenge was the most boring I've seen in a long time.

Advertisement