Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eclipse Sequence Photos from the Phoenix Park

Options
  • 04-03-2007 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭

I normally post in the photography forum but I thought this may be of interest here -

Great sky last night perfect for shooting the eclipse ... I posted a full sequence of the Eclipse on my flickr ... best viewed as a slide show with a short laspe time ... Follow this link -
    Lunar Eclipse Sequence
    Yes they are a bit blurry but be gentle nonetheless!!! redface.gif

Anyone else get out ?

Here's my fav from the bunch -

409947386_a731d387fd.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

Nice shots, what equipment did you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dublin's Finest

Lovely shots mate, fair play. The orange hue looks great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

It almost looks like Mars :)

Mike.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

redman wrote:
    Nice shots, what equipment did you use?

Yeh, in fact all the photos you have look really great! Digital SLR?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Good photos those. I was out for a few drinks last night, but I did pop out and have a look. It was a great night for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭leinsterman

Yeh, in fact all the photos you have look really great! Digital SLR?

You can get details of the gear and setting by looking at the properties of the individual photos in flickr ... it has a feature for that ...

... in summary I used -

Canon EOS 20d
    Canon 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 L
    1.4X Teleconvertor
    The combination of the 1.6 CCD in the Camera with the two lenses gives me and effective 1000mm lens ... even then I had to drop in photoshop.

I used partial Metering with a bit of guess work and plenty of bracketing to expose the moon (which thankfully fill the metering circle) ..

All I did in photoshop was keep the colourtemp the same for all photos ... improve contrast and crop ... except -

The one of the cross and the the moon is a combination of the same picture twice with exposure adjusted differently in each one ... one is exposed for the moon the other for the cross ... combined by erasing the over exposed moon ... this is the only way I know how to do this ...

The cross and starts pictures are adjusted in white balance toward the cool end of the spectrum to give purple hue to the sky (otherwise it comes up a dirty brown thanks to the lights of Dublin).. and in one case I have burned in the details of the cross ...

Hope this answers your questions ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭leinsterman

oh ... and a tripod ... I'm not bionic!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭siobhan.murphy

That was fantastic and thank you for posting it as it was a lovely evening in Tralee all day, but true to form with the weather in Kerry it got very cloudy at 10ish:mad: and we saw feck all so it was great to see that thanks leinster man.
    Siobhan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

nice pics. I pathetically attempted a pic with my phone and got a streaky blur. Great clear sky though, I'll just use my internal brain memory camera :)

Advertisement