Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the best package/company for setting up 3 laptops on the internet

Options
  • 04-03-2007 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭

In the south Dublin area, what broadband provider should/could I choose that would provide a router or some other means for connecting a few (3 min) laptops to the internet at the same time regardless of where they are in the house?

Id prefer not to go along the lines of buying one package and then buying my own router or doing anything too technical because A)Its for my sister whos not very computer savy and B)I want it setup so anyone staying in the house (renters) can just surf without any/much configurations.

She has a phone line Eircom and has broadband in a box from irish broadband (which I intend scrapping - but if theres a handy upgrade option Im all ears).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Moving to broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You can't have a wiFi (cordless / Wireless) router without configuring passwords and stuff. Cabled ethernet is much simpler.

Many providers only provide very cheap WiFi routers or just a modem. Since a good Router/WiFi is 45Euro to 200 Euro dependent on speed (assume you need new cards for PCs/Laptops to get higher speeds) and all need similar configuration you should concentrate on the service you will get and price not the Router features.

Anything better than IBB Ripwave is a completely different system and about 10 times faster.

What if one person is using torrents and eats all the bandwidth/Cap. Thats one issue with sublet..

Advertisement