Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

kids bike

Options
  • 04-03-2007 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Does anyone have recommendations for a bike for a soon to be 4 year old boy?
    Or shops that have a good selection. I'm looking for something with removable pedals ideally.
    He's pottered about on a few bikes with stabilisers but not very often and needless to say I want him zooming around on 2 wheels.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭roadmanmad

very few children are competent two wheeler at 4. They often lack any understanding of judgement.

Let them take it at their own pace. I would always recommend a good quality bike. Nearly all bike shops have them. They are not the cheapest thing in the shop. 10inch + wheels will give growing room for 2 or so years. But buy solid stabilizers that at adjustable upwards. As your child becomes more confident raise them up 1-2mm at a time. Or set them high and let a lot of pressure out of the tyre. Pump the tyre to get a similar result over time. Also continuously raise the saddle that their toes are only touching the ground.

I have 3 boys. No 1 learned at 5 just. No 2 was still unstable at 6.5 and only barely learned. I have serious concerns over his appearent non existent centre of gravity. No 3 learned at 4 1/2.

Also remember that most of what you will teach them, they will forget after a month. In the summer if you are confident that they are up to the task, take the stabilizers off for a while, take your child to a green area and let the child off. Minimise the first traumatic falls. Learn stability first. No harm doing this on a slope. Use two people, one up to set them off one lower to stop them. Then work on stopping without falling off, and then work on self starts. All a bit obvious I know, but no harm in saying it.

If it does not work out quickly, decide quickly if they need to grow more and gain a little more confidence. Plenty of praise no matter how badly they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭souter

Cheers Roadman. The Guardian had a good article about it, http://lifeandhealth.guardian.co.uk/guides/cycling/story/0,,2021817,00.html ,
    stressing our own memories of how easy it was are highly subjective.

Did you ever try removing the pedals and using the bike like a hobby horse - I've seen this recommended by a variety of sources?

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭cerebus

Removing the pedals and letting a child use the bike like a scooter is great way to seperate the pedalling and balancing parts of learing to ride a bike.

They can get the hang of balancing on two wheels - just scooting themselves along and pulling their feet up for longer and longer periods. Once the child can balance, you can add the pedals back on.

Some resources:

Sheldon Brown (as always!)
    Some guy with the mantra "training wheels are evil"

Advertisement